This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

!!

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to Carpe Noctem, the biggest forum dedicated to Vampire Counts in the world! Please take a moment of your time to register if you haven't already done so and get access to member only content. It will also get rid of this annoying banner! If you have already registered please login.

See you around the forum.

Disciple of Nagash
Carpe Noctem Owner and Administrator

Army-Specific Tactics - High Elves
MasterSpark
Infinite Nightmare
Global Mod
Trade Count: (0)

Forum Award WinnerDonater
Zombies: 4,911

Army-Specific Tactics - High Elves

Hello,

This thread is for archiving the various tips, builds and strategies that can be of use when fighting the High Elves. This first post will periodically be updated to include the input that is given from posters. The categorization is the same as with the earlier threads,

Effective Tactics / Units to Use

Tactics / Units Not Recommended to Use

Enemy Items / Units / Tactics to Watch Out For

Note that this is not the place for in-depth discussion in regards to the advice that is shared. If you wish to debate on any specific topic, you're free to start up an independent thread in the main section of The Teachings of Abhorash instead.

Thank you. smile

.........[Image: AmakasuBarleyTenji.gif]
Tomorrow will be special.
Yesterday was not.
------------------------
Forum Rules (please read)
04-02-2010 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Minimono
Grave Guard

Zombies: 65

RE: Army-Specific Tactics - High Elves

I'm hoping anyone experienced with VC can update this thread with new content from the new book. My main enemy is High Elfes and so far I got 100% losses. So any updated advices are highly appreciated smile
01-23-2012 07:54 AM
MadLarkin
Banshee

Zombies: 406

Played high elves a few times under the new book and we've become better equipped to handle them.

For combat lords quickblood is a godsend, but nightshroud is better IMO as their units are only s3-4 and negating their great weapons and asf is awesome.

Casting wise, the Mortis engine helps a lot to overcome their dispel bonus. I find fewer and fewer high elves using bolt throwers so the only way they can deal with it is magic (albeit they are good at that). Speaking of magic winds of undeath is amazing versus them as they are all t3.

As always try not to get in multiple combats with your core vs anything of theirs as you will lose a lot of CR.

Bat swarms are amazing at taking away their asf rerolls. The corpse cart is awesome as well in this regard.

In an open list environment ethereals (particulary characters) are great as they usually rely on mundane great weapons on their characters and only one unit otherwise will have magical attacks. They still jve a potent magic phase and in closed lists you never know where that amulet is.
02-13-2012 10:32 PM
Chaos_Born
The Slow Poster
Global Mod

Zombies: 2,723

Out of Date Posts Deleted

[Image: CN_banner2.jpg]

I'm a global mod. You know what that means? I can get you no matter where you hide!!!

Role play Characters
CC&PD:Ysbriel
The Cold Hearts: Verikar Trast
TVCII: Mikaeus
09-11-2012 06:38 PM
DivineEdge
Ghoul

Zombies: 49

Hey all. Long time player of high elves, so I am going to do a quick run-down of all the units, and the tactics to deal with the dangerous ones.

First - Lords and Heroes

In the lords section, you should always see an archmage. They are extremely powerful, and usually are kitted out to be super casty or super survivable. The casty one is a level 4 with the book of hoeth,meaning he will get IF on any roll of doubles. He should be taking shadow or life - if not, count your blessings. He will consistently palm 6 die to get stuff off like PoS, DB, PSoX, and OM. He's gonna miscast. That is a reality. Hope it hurts him a lot. You can try sniping him - bjuna will usually clean his clock. Just try to get into combat asap to stop him blowing units up every turn.

If he goes the survivable route, then he has foliaraith's robes and the talisman of saphery, making him ethereal and making all magic items in btb count as mundane (weapons/armour) or be nonexistent (everything else). If he accept's your vampire's challenge, you know he has this, and will be locked down. He is much less potent the the previous build though, but is still a powerful caster, so do not underestimate him.

Princes are not seen very much, as archmages are much more important and a noble can do most things he does. However, he has a few dangerous builds - the big one of which is a star dragon. I have run him occasionaly, but he is super expenisve, and while very killy and survivable against all but black powder weaponry (boo!!! hiss...) he has nowhere near the reliabilty or sheer versatility and power of a mage. Also, until like 4000, you can't take both of them. Scream him to death. If that doesn't work - eg he makes it into combat, you can try a vamp. lord challenge. Make sure to take quickblood/nightshroud, as the best build has a re-rollable 2+ armour, a 4+ ward, and a 2+ ward vs flaming. He also hits with s6, a big deal for elves.

Foot princes usually have killing blow and a nice armour save. The talisman of loec costs a mere 5 skaven slaves and allows re-rolls to hit, wound, and succsessful saves (on you) for a round. Then he takes a wound, but as he has either killing blowed you or just killed you, it doesn;t really matter. Be careful of this. Aviod it. Moving on.

Calvary prines are similar to dragons without the dangerous dragon. Scream and forget.

What I said for lords mostly holds true for heroes. One thing to watch is that we can take items that are great for anti-magic, draing a PD and making it a DD, dispelling/erasing a spell, and so forth. A hero mage will usually not be taken if he has an irresistable archmage/Teclis, as you will dispel everything he tries to do - those dispel die need to do something, right?

Nobles will be seen often - as a bsb and a fighter. Battle standard to be worried about are, oh wait, there is only one. The banner of the world dragon makes a unit immune to magic - great for preserving deathstars. A thing to note - he and the prince will almost always take a great weapon - they still have asf and get +2 with no drawback, that cost 8-12 points not out of magic items. What I am trying to say here is *cough*nightshroud*cough*.

Now their special unit - dragon mages. They suck. Mage = never want to be in combat. Dragon = always wants to be in combat. See the identity issue here? Having said that, he casts like a boss (or like a slann, rather), but is restricted to fire - a pretty crappy lore. Be gland your opponent brought a 400 point points sink when he shows up.

Will do core and rare units later.

Yesterday I wished for peace. Today I wish for yesterday. Tomorrow I will not wish...
09-25-2012 11:16 PM
Mox
Black Knight

Zombies: 171

(09-25-2012 11:16 PM)DivineEdge Wrote:  Hey all. Long time player of high elves, so I am going to do a quick run-down of all the units, and the tactics to deal with the dangerous ones.

First - Lords and Heroes

In the lords section, you should always see an archmage. They are extremely powerful, and usually are kitted out to be super casty or super survivable. The casty one is a level 4 with the book of hoeth,meaning he will get IF on any roll of doubles. He should be taking shadow or life - if not, count your blessings. He will consistently palm 6 die to get stuff off like PoS, DB, PSoX, and OM. He's gonna miscast. That is a reality. Hope it hurts him a lot. You can try sniping him - bjuna will usually clean his clock. Just try to get into combat asap to stop him blowing units up every turn.

If he goes the survivable route, then he has foliaraith's robes and the talisman of saphery, making him ethereal and making all magic items in btb count as mundane (weapons/armour) or be nonexistent (everything else). If he accept's your vampire's challenge, you know he has this, and will be locked down. He is much less potent the the previous build though, but is still a powerful caster, so do not underestimate him.

Princes are not seen very much, as archmages are much more important and a noble can do most things he does. However, he has a few dangerous builds - the big one of which is a star dragon. I have run him occasionaly, but he is super expenisve, and while very killy and survivable against all but black powder weaponry (boo!!! hiss...) he has nowhere near the reliabilty or sheer versatility and power of a mage. Also, until like 4000, you can't take both of them. Scream him to death. If that doesn't work - eg he makes it into combat, you can try a vamp. lord challenge. Make sure to take quickblood/nightshroud, as the best build has a re-rollable 2+ armour, a 4+ ward, and a 2+ ward vs flaming. He also hits with s6, a big deal for elves.

Foot princes usually have killing blow and a nice armour save. The talisman of loec costs a mere 5 skaven slaves and allows re-rolls to hit, wound, and succsessful saves (on you) for a round. Then he takes a wound, but as he has either killing blowed you or just killed you, it doesn;t really matter. Be careful of this. Aviod it. Moving on.

Calvary prines are similar to dragons without the dangerous dragon. Scream and forget.

What I said for lords mostly holds true for heroes. One thing to watch is that we can take items that are great for anti-magic, draing a PD and making it a DD, dispelling/erasing a spell, and so forth. A hero mage will usually not be taken if he has an irresistable archmage/Teclis, as you will dispel everything he tries to do - those dispel die need to do something, right?

Nobles will be seen often - as a bsb and a fighter. Battle standard to be worried about are, oh wait, there is only one. The banner of the world dragon makes a unit immune to magic - great for preserving deathstars. A thing to note - he and the prince will almost always take a great weapon - they still have asf and get +2 with no drawback, that cost 8-12 points not out of magic items. What I am trying to say here is *cough*nightshroud*cough*.

Now their special unit - dragon mages. They suck. Mage = never want to be in combat. Dragon = always wants to be in combat. See the identity issue here? Having said that, he casts like a boss (or like a slann, rather), but is restricted to fire - a pretty crappy lore. Be gland your opponent brought a 400 point points sink when he shows up.

Will do core and rare units later.

Thanks so much for your insight. I am very interested in the rest of the units info you can give. Please continue....
03-02-2014 05:10 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Army-Specific Tactics - Tomb Kings MasterSpark 10 3,103 01-07-2014 10:02 PM
Last Post: Count Vashra
  Army-Specific Tactics - Lizardmen MasterSpark 3 5,574 12-17-2013 10:18 AM
Last Post: The Sun King
  Army-Specific Tactics - Dark Elves Disciple of Nagash 10 11,526 09-07-2013 06:56 PM
Last Post: Ravenheart
  Army-Specific Tactics - Ogre Kingdoms MasterSpark 7 2,472 08-23-2013 03:07 PM
Last Post: Corien Sumatris
  Army-Specific Tactics - Skaven MasterSpark 6 6,547 03-06-2013 05:48 PM
Last Post: The Dread King