This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

!!

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to Carpe Noctem, the biggest forum dedicated to Vampire Counts in the world! Please take a moment of your time to register if you haven't already done so and get access to member only content. It will also get rid of this annoying banner! If you have already registered please login.

See you around the forum.

Disciple of Nagash
Carpe Noctem Owner and Administrator

Building a castle from scratch
Burnanation
Vampire Thrall
Trade Count: (0)

Zombies: 695

Building a castle from scratch

So I have a pretty good hand on how to create everything I want for my castle, except the battlements that would go on the outside of the walls and around the towers. I am primarily using wood for construction and my green stuff skill is somewhere between filling gaps and making long skinny snakes.

I am looking for ideas more along the lines of practical/cost efficient than super detailed, but any and all ideas are welcome. I will post some photos tomorrow. Thanks!
12-06-2013 08:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blutsauger
Vampire Thrall

Zombies: 744

RE: Building a castle from scratch

My army blog: The Dread Legion of Vladimir von Blutsauger
12-06-2013 04:58 PM
untitled_musketeer
The Anonymous One
Global Mod
Trade Count: (1)

Donater
Zombies: 1,640

(12-06-2013 04:58 PM)Blutsauger Wrote:  http://www.hirstarts.com

Seconded.

Commissions available.
If you like any of my work or would like something painted in a similar style, or to match a specific theme, drop me a message and get in touch.

My CMON Gallery

[Image: CN_banner2.jpg]
12-06-2013 06:37 PM
Burnanation
Vampire Thrall

Zombies: 695

They have awesome stuff. Any other ideas, more home made-ish?
12-07-2013 09:16 PM
Adam_Barrow
Sleepless Knight
True Bloods

Zombies: 1,771

This guy might give you some ideas. He makes bold choices sometimes.

http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/inde...&Itemid=31

"How wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying."

My Necrarch Themed Plog - Disturbing The Peace Of The Dead
12-08-2013 01:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
horrid
Skeleton

Zombies: 18

Foamcore with one of the paper faces watered down then removed would give you a reasonably sturdy form and excellent texture if you take the time to scribe the cobbles into exposed faced with a pencil that isn't too sharp. For a more "formal" or uniform brick look use a steel edged ruler to cut rows up the face your wall then define individual bricks with a pencil by scribing at 90s to the lines you marked with your ruler.

To do a good job of this is quite time intensive but the results can be really amazing. If price is your only concern this is an excellent choice. Little details like pressing in the odd brick or two and scribing cracks make for a very striking and completely personalized project. Whatever you do seal the exposed foam with something (I use black crummy tole paints because they are cheap and covering white foam I know at a glance I have full coverage) BEFORE priming otherwise all of your careful attentions will evaporate in a cloud of aerosol.

I first learned about this technique reading a WW2 modelling blog about war-torn cityscapes. These remain some of the best looking terrain models I have ever seen.

If you have your heart set on some kind of wood stay way from the hardware store if you can. Pick up some balsa wood. Spars of balsa will not only strengthen you construction but will look the business if you make them visible in elements of your construction. Do some research before you start building and have a plan. It will make the difference between Bunratty and the castle where Burger King lives.
12-10-2013 01:54 AM
deathwolf669
Skeleton

Zombies: 21

Rather than using foam board and removing once side you can buy 3-5mm foam and stick that to the outside, I have done that for WW2 buildings.

Mount the foam on anything you want after, it also makes it a lot easier to design holes put into the wall or a removable section to simulate blowing one up.
01-19-2014 12:26 AM
untitled_musketeer
The Anonymous One
Global Mod
Trade Count: (1)

Donater
Zombies: 1,640

This is quite good. Unfortunately the forum has a weird set up meaning you can't copy links. Actions seem to be performed with the same webpage meaning URL doesn't change. The threat title is 'Something different. A castle!' if you want the full thread but it's a pretty good step by step this guy is doing!

Something different. A castle! Post #1

Cheers,

u_m

Commissions available.
If you like any of my work or would like something painted in a similar style, or to match a specific theme, drop me a message and get in touch.

My CMON Gallery

[Image: CN_banner2.jpg]
01-19-2014 01:52 AM
Lord Coenraad Vonn Forongkry
Ghoul

Facebook YouTube

Zombies: 21

Not sure if this will also help, but here's a link to one of Blue Table Painting's Titan Terrain Studio staff showing how to create Cobblestone for his Church in his Graveyard.

I'm very interested in this tread as I've been looking into building a Fort/Manor for my Vampire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRGJUiymfqs
01-20-2014 03:13 PM
darragh
Grave Guard

Zombies: 61

Slave to painting sell miniature bricks if you want to go down that road .very time consuming though for a full castle but would be a good effect as they can be cut to create the random size brick style you see on medieval walls etc was planning On using them for ruins for mordheim could easily use filler over them for plaster leaving cracks and such where plaster has fallen Off from weathering.
02-08-2014 02:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tutorial - Building coffins Theerteen 11 442 03-08-2014 03:05 AM
Last Post: Adam_Barrow
  Doom Wheel Building Then Painting - What Order Should I Go In? Adam_Barrow 1 219 04-25-2013 10:37 PM
Last Post: Santawraith
  Scratchbuilt building help and suggestion needed Zarovich 6 249 04-22-2013 06:10 PM
Last Post: Zarovich
  Are Chaos Knights good bases for building mounted Vampires? What about Archaon? ComicBookGuy 29 3,483 05-30-2012 08:33 PM
Last Post: Santawraith
  sylvanian castle gameboard darragh 16 1,148 10-13-2011 02:54 PM
Last Post: darragh