This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

!!

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to Carpe Noctem, the biggest forum dedicated to Vampire Counts in the world! Please take a moment of your time to register if you haven't already done so and get access to member only content. It will also get rid of this annoying banner! If you have already registered please login.

See you around the forum.

Disciple of Nagash
Carpe Noctem Owner and Administrator

Frontage
Marche Funebre
Grave Guard
Trade Count: (0)

Zombies: 81

Frontage

This thought came to me when I was daydreaming about hordes of spear totting skellies. Usually you see units 5 models wide, at least you do in our armies, and occasionally a horde formation. If we assume that the average unit has five models in the front wouldnt it be logical to build on that and maximize your own attacks by making your unit seven wide? I realize that most of our units are there to be the provebial brick wall that our opponents smash their brains out on and that because of that its best to minimize the amount models they can get their warm clamy hands on but we have units like ghouls where this tactic wouldnt be that bad.

What im trying to say is that in the case of ghouls that would be four extra models in combat who each have two (?) attacks. Does this make any sense or should we just go for horde and get the extra rank? Does this have any advantages over a front of five or ten models that would justify using it? I can imagine trying it in my next game with my ghouls.

What are your thoughts?
03-01-2012 07:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Johnny-Crass
Gamey Wanker
Global Mod
Trade Count: (3)

Twitter
Forum Award Winner
Zombies: 2,490

RE: Frontage

I am doing 50 strong skellie horde with spears and loving it

Dear Johnny: Thoughts, Questions and Videos
I play at Great Escape Games.
(05-15-2013 08:16 PM)Bullhax Wrote:  They should just hire Johnny he has enough fantasy knowledge to fill it in for all of the armies out there, plus we might even get some consistency in the rulings..
In the Grim Darkness of GW rules, there is no Interpretation, no Extrapolation, there is only RAW!
Cheers Seneschal Bow Down
PM me I am always up!
03-01-2012 09:00 AM
Noobafrass
Banshee

Zombies: 233

I've been playing a list with a block of ghouls 7 wide and so far it's worked quite well. I also haven't been up against any hordes with it yet, either though, which might change my mind.

Vs a unit 10 models wide, they would be attacking the ghouls in 3-4 ranks with 9 models in each rank, vs 7 models in each rank for a 5-wide unit.

Also, the 2nd rank doesn't get 2 attacks when it comes to normal infantry, so we're adding 4 models to the fight by making it 7 wide, but only adding 6 attacks instead of 8
03-01-2012 10:07 AM
Count Edmund Von Redbeard
Grave Guard

Zombies: 58

I tend to run my GW Grave Guard 7 wide. But I know I won't be facing hordes.
I like it, haven't tried it with ghouls yet though, 7 wide is actually an extra 6 attacks with ghouls, not to be sniffed at.
03-01-2012 11:21 AM
Mikael.K
True Blood
True Bloods

Zombies: 1,480

Most units probably benefit from having a small frontage, but you have to consider other things aswell. Deployment for example. We usually bring plenty of big sized units that grow bigger during the game. If one is not careful, some of those end up away from the generals 12" influence. Deploying in horde allows you to set your army up in two "files" and combat reform later if needed. Still, this is not to be recommended vs fast armies.

[Image: CN_banner1.jpg]
03-01-2012 09:26 PM
Ogre
Grave Guard

Zombies: 89

Im running 60 Skellies in Horde with spears and its awesome. Especially with the Fear Bomb combo.

Im running 40 zombies in 5 man ranks as its just a tarpit unit(minimizing attacks from enemies, maximizing rank bonuses for as long as I can.)

Behold and Despair.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
03-01-2012 10:12 PM
Gojira
Grave Guard

Zombies: 119

You can change your frontoage every turn, so just go for whatever you need any any given moment.
03-02-2012 12:26 PM
Burnanation
Vampire Thrall

Zombies: 695

7 wide will max out your attacks, which is good. But if you're using your skellies/zombies at your anvil then you're cutting down on the ranks, which could be bad.

If I have 35 skellies, 5 wide, that's 7 ranks deep.

If I have 35 skellies 7 wide, that's 5 ranks deep.

You might win combat with the 7 wide, but unless you out rank him he'll be steadfast :-(
03-03-2012 05:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Skeleton Warriors Frontage/Depth Ninja Zombie 13 284 Today 05:04 AM
Last Post: Blutsauger