This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

!!

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to Carpe Noctem, the biggest forum dedicated to Vampire Counts in the world! Please take a moment of your time to register if you haven't already done so and get access to member only content. It will also get rid of this annoying banner! If you have already registered please login.

See you around the forum.

Disciple of Nagash
Carpe Noctem Owner and Administrator

Question: how to paint vampire skin with the new paints.
Lord Sathir
Grave Guard
Trade Count: (0)

Zombies: 63

Question: how to paint vampire skin with the new paints.

Hey people,

I wanted to start painting some vamps this week and looked up the tutorial of DoN which would have been very usefull, if it not used the "old" paints.

So now I would like to know if someone else has a nice tutorial on how to paint some badass pale vampire skin, with the new paints.
05-04-2012 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daoshi
Cult of Johnny

Zombies: 46

RE: Question: how to paint vampire skin with the new paints.

(05-04-2012 02:57 PM)Lord Sathir Wrote:  Hey people,

I wanted to start painting some vamps this week and looked up the tutorial of DoN which would have been very usefull, if it not used the "old" paints.

So now I would like to know if someone else has a nice tutorial on how to paint some badass pale vampire skin, with the new paints.

To be honest I don't think that colours need to be set in stone.

To paint anything to a high standard you need at least one shade and one highlight from your mid tone colour. If you want to go a step further you can add in a secondary shade and highlight to ease the transition through.

You really only need one colour, your midtone. From there you can use existing paints to go both one step up and down from there to create your vampire skin. So because we are going for pale, I would go for something alabaster in nature. The lightest skin colour I believe that GW does was Elf Flesh, now called Kislev Flesh IIRC.

This is far to.... pink/yellow/horrible. My suggestion would be to go from a white base and tint it with either Elf or Dwarf Flesh. Kislev and Ratskin respectively. This will allow you to add more/less into the mix for your shades/highlights off your midtone.

A light purple or green glaze may help add some depth of colour to your vampire's flesh to stop it from looking too chalky and washed out.

Hope this was some help, but as I do not use GW paints myself, I cannot give you a recipe.

Here is a paint conversion guide from DakkaDakka outlining the new paints and their correlation to the old range.

Paint Range Compatibility Chart

05-04-2012 03:15 PM
Lord Sathir
Grave Guard

Zombies: 63

thanks man, now I can start on the skin.
05-04-2012 07:07 PM
tinfish
Grave Guard

Zombies: 19

I think I used Ceramite white, Warlock purple and a tonne of water to wash it, then a drybrush of Praxeti white.
Came out Quite well.

I now have a Pallid Wych flesh to try out, seems a little more like what I wanted.
Going to give it a go on what little skin my Bloodknights have to show.
05-04-2012 07:54 PM
The Wife
Mrs. Santawraith

Zombies: 88

I use a base coat of kiesliv flesh, followed by a drybrush of eldar flesh. Follow that with a sparing highlight of wych flesh.

You can choose to wash with either seraphim sepia or a watered violet or nuln oil.

If you love something, let it go.
If it loves you, it will come back for revenge.
[Image: zombie-advert.png]
05-04-2012 08:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vampire Lord conversion Blutsauger 9 491 Today 09:02 AM
Last Post: Swoosh
  Simple paint question helemaalnicks 17 283 04-17-2014 09:54 AM
Last Post: Joex48
  Clear Quartz Vampire Skull enky 4 176 04-15-2014 05:10 PM
Last Post: enky
  How do you guys paint corpses? trucktruck 9 163 04-13-2014 03:53 AM
Last Post: robtion
  Question about WYSIWYG and conversions helemaalnicks 13 330 03-28-2014 02:16 AM
Last Post: SotF