This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

!!

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to Carpe Noctem, the biggest forum dedicated to Vampire Counts in the world! Please take a moment of your time to register if you haven't already done so and get access to member only content. It will also get rid of this annoying banner! If you have already registered please login.

See you around the forum.

Disciple of Nagash
Carpe Noctem Owner and Administrator

Vampire Counts Vampire-rules Canon?
Duluoz
Grave Guard
Trade Count: (0)

Zombies: 95

Vampire Counts Vampire-rules Canon?

So I've been writing my fluff, and a couple of questions have cropped up for me. The Vampires of the Vampire Counts seem pretty old school/Anne Rice in their approach; they're actual Vampires, not teen bloodsuckers.

But with that being said, I've read what seems to be contradictory fluff and Black Library fiction over the years in regards to just what the Warhammer Vampires are defined as. I know the stories and fluff are left open to interpretation, to an extent, on purpose, but there's some questions I'd like to know if there's canon for, and if not, the general consensus of Carpe Noctem.

So, can the VC Vamps enter a dwelling without invitation?
As they are dead undead, do they bleed, and do their hair/nails grow?
Do they actually breathe - do they even need air? Or do they have to 'remember' to breathe, blink etc if they want to fit in/disguise themselves as many do in the Empire?
While they're often referred to as the Midnight Aristocracy, as they actually creatures of the night or are they able to function in the day? (I'm thinking of Vlad's assault on the Empire - either he functioned in the day, or had some serious magical mojo to make it overcast 24/7)
Magical prowess, it varies between Vampires yes, but they all have some control over dark magic, as I'm of the impression it sustains them yet Konrad had nothing at all?

Cheers in advance for any replies. I've tried to do my research for these answers but I've only turned up bits and pieces and mostly contradictory or simply unofficial.

The Bastard Twins: A Ballad of the Moon and Sun

'Are we good, or are we evil you ask. I ask can such restrictive definitions apply to creatures immortal? Is it evil to accept ones nature?' - Gabriel Duluoz.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 09:14 PM by Duluoz.)
08-01-2013 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Corien Sumatris
The Tyrant's Champion
Global Mod

Zombies: 2,449

RE: Vampire Counts Vampire-rules Canon?

Well I can help with 2 of those questions but not all so here it goes.

They cannot function in daylight from what I've read as it refers to them using coaches in the Ulrika novels, although again black library seems to go very loosey goosey when it comes to actual fluff.

Konrad does have a magical ability, he's just not good at it. In his last battle after his necromancers retreated, his minor magical abilities kept a part of his army moving for a while, atleast until he died.

That's all I got, Hopefully the novels I ordered will be here soon and I'll be able to contribute more to this conversation.

It's an oxymoron! The amount of alcohol that would take would literally kill me!

[Image: CN_banner2.jpg]
08-01-2013 09:10 PM
Shareya
Sanguine Mistress
True Bloods

Zombies: 1,086

Yes. This is no problem for them what so ever.

As they are dead undead, do they bleed, and do their hair/nails grow?
A vampires heart still beats ( albit weakly ).So it's a bit tricky to say just how dead these...undead are. However the rest of their organs are useless/not needed.
They can bleed, especially if cut by silver weapons.
Their nails only grow when they pretty much pull out their claws! So no normal growth.
Hair? I believe this however remains how it was at the state of their death. Though it's very, very hard to judge. But most Lahmians use wigs constantly so I would imagine this is the case. Also in all the novels I have read the vamps hair remained unchanged.

Do they actually breathe - do they even need air? Or do they have to 'remember' to breathe, blink etc if they want to fit in/disguise themselves as many do in the Empire?
A vampire does not require air to live at all. Also many Lahmians have to practice certain "normal" habits so not to lose their disguise. I think breathing was however the easiest for most vampires as it's a reflex that has burnt into their skulls from life.

While they're often referred to as the Midnight Aristocracy, as they actually creatures of the night or are they able to function in the day? (I'm thinking of Vlad's assault on the Empire - either he functioned in the day, or had some serious magical mojo to make it overcast 24/7)
This changes from vampire to vampire! Some are much more resistant to sunlight and can function under it for a while if they are well fed and at their full strength.
Some get burnt even at the lightest caress of the suns rays.
Some are bit of freaks and their curse just is very weak at -that point- and so they are able to walk under the sun with ease ( this is super duper rare).
Also to point out it has been said ( in novels ) that a vampire who is strong enough ( willpower / physical strength ) can just eventually start walking under the sun.
-Most- however are always weakened when having to suffer the suns tyranny sad

Magical prowess, it varies between Vampires yes, but they all have some control over dark magic, as I'm of the impression it sustains them yet Konrad had nothing at all?
Vampire are magical creatures by nature. Some are stronger, some are weaker at it of course. Hell Strigoi can raise the dead just by using magic via instinct without any real knowledge. Konrad simply might have been much like a Blood Dragon, they simply refuse to use it as they find it weak/unneeded etc.
So yep! He probably had less talent and went "fuck it, it's for whimps ill go cut everyone up!"

[Image: banner.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 12:08 PM by Shareya.)
08-02-2013 12:05 PM
SothaMortis
Skeleton

Zombies: 13

Quote:While they're often referred to as the Midnight Aristocracy, as they actually creatures of the night or are they able to function in the day? (I'm thinking of Vlad's assault on the Empire - either he functioned in the day, or had some serious magical mojo to make it overcast 24/7)

Had the same question when I started, since I wondered if my vampire to be would suffer while fighting during the day in game. The explaination I got was they bring some really thick and dark clouds if they're powerful or important enough. But if they don't and the stats on the vampire/vampire lord in the army book are that good during the day, I would really want to know how much better it would be during the night Vampire3
08-02-2013 12:39 PM
Shareya
Sanguine Mistress
True Bloods

And just to point out again! Very, very, VERY often the boardgame rules do not match up to the fluff cheesygrin

08-02-2013 01:34 PM
Corien Sumatris
The Tyrant's Champion
Global Mod

Zombies: 2,449

This is very true, I'm sorry but I don't think Kemmler would be marching into battle with 40 GG, 40 Ghouls, 2 TG's 150 ish zombies, Some other characters and fun toys. I'm pretty sure that the zombies would be somewhere around a zillion, and he would walk in with 50 Wight Kings and Krell.

It's an oxymoron! The amount of alcohol that would take would literally kill me!

08-02-2013 04:24 PM
Malochai
Scion of House Targarys
Global Mod

Donater
Zombies: 3,538

Thread moved to Liber Necris

I have moved the thread to the Liber Necris sub-forum; if you have any questions or queries about this, please don't hesitate to send me a Private Message.

~Malochai

Council of the Night Mod
CN Forum Rules

Roleplays:

'The Hakseer':
The Tale of a Young Druchii
'TVC II':
Markus Shiefter

Whip All Hail the Almighty Huffer! Whip

08-02-2013 08:42 PM
Ghouly
The Ghoul King
True Bloods

Zombies: 1,666

the Nerarchs nope they need an invite, and sometimes members of the other Bloodlines do its a very minor weakness all it takes is a mortal servant to cross the threshold and invite the Vampire in basically any weakness from Vampire myth you can think of might pop up in Warhammer.

the big three weaknesses that all Vampires have in Warhammer are Silver, the Sun and Faith with varying severity some vampires are completely crippled by them other will just laugh in your face if you try it on them.

As they are dead undead, do they bleed, and do their hair/nails grow? they can bleed, just not as bad as a mortal would, and their hair and nails don't grow naturally.

Do they actually breathe - do they even need air? Or do they have to 'remember' to breathe, blink etc if they want to fit in/disguise themselves as many do in the Empire? they don't need too but most do out of habit.

While they're often referred to as the Midnight Aristocracy, as they actually creatures of the night or are they able to function in the day? (I'm thinking of Vlad's assault on the Empire - either he functioned in the day, or had some serious magical mojo to make it overcast 24/7) depends on the Vampire, some can't go out in daylight some can, and the older more powerful ones can control the very weather "oh I gotta go outside during the day, fine let it rain".

Magical prowess, it varies between Vampires yes, but they all have some control over dark magic, as I'm of the impression it sustains them yet Konrad had nothing at all? it varies from vampire to vampire

TVCI and TVCII Charicter Graveclaw

As wonderful as victory is, it hasn’t served to teach me quite like defeat
08-02-2013 09:37 PM
Duluoz
Grave Guard

Thanks for the responses guys, big help very informative.

As with most of the GW fluff it seems to have loose rules (loosey-goosey baby, loosey goosey) which bend and break according to the needs of the story, which doesn't bother me too much. Besides, with much of the fluff having the appearance of the myths of the Warhammer univerise, I guess inconsistencies are expected.

You've certainly made my fluff easier to write, big thanks!

'Are we good, or are we evil you ask. I ask can such restrictive definitions apply to creatures immortal? Is it evil to accept ones nature?' - Gabriel Duluoz.

08-03-2013 06:21 AM
Shareya
Sanguine Mistress
True Bloods

Quote:the Nerarchs nope they need an invite, and sometimes members of the other Bloodlines

Source plx!

08-03-2013 08:21 AM
Ghouly
The Ghoul King
True Bloods

(08-03-2013 08:21 AM)Shareya Wrote:  
Quote:the Nerarchs nope they need an invite, and sometimes members of the other Bloodlines

Source plx!

Nights Dark Masters

08-03-2013 08:46 AM
Skittelz1981
Banshee

Zombies: 295

Just on the topic of fighting in the daylight....
From what ive read, when the vampires go for battle they simply darken the battlefield by huge masses of batswarms, blocking off the sunlight and enabling them to simply go fight in daylight. Obviously things are not so detailed in every battle. Maybe he just has a small personal batcloud to block the sun only for the vamps.
08-03-2013 11:12 AM
Shareya
Sanguine Mistress
True Bloods

(08-03-2013 08:46 AM)Ghouly Wrote:  

Source plx!

Nights Dark Masters

Can you give me a page too? It's 145 pages sadly and when I searched for certain keywords that could be related to this I got no results.

Edit: Just read their weakness etc sections as well and nothing.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 12:53 PM by Shareya.)
08-03-2013 12:47 PM
Ghouly
The Ghoul King
True Bloods

cry would if I could Shareya but my copy of Night Dark Masters was saved on my old computer witch died I can't even turn the thing on, luckily I've memorized most of the Background in it, lol I know it sounds like a load of Bull Butter but its not I swear It was in one of those little side-bar things did you check the Nerarch section

08-03-2013 11:13 PM
Get of W'soran
Carpe Noctem's Master of Arrows
True Bloods

Forum Award WinnerDonater
Zombies: 5,347

(08-03-2013 12:47 PM)Shareya Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 08:46 AM)Ghouly Wrote:  

Source plx!

Nights Dark Masters

Can you give me a page too? It's 145 pages sadly and when I searched for certain keywords that could be related to this I got no results.

Edit: Just read their weakness etc sections as well and nothing.

If it helps this was also the case with the Necrarch from the Witch Hunter trilogy story.

TVC 2:
Nekhlior
Dieter
The Hakseer:
Sir Selthir Iceblood

When you're rife with devestation
There's a simple explanation:
You're a toymaker's creation,
Trapped inside a crystal ball.
08-04-2013 12:47 AM
Shareya
Sanguine Mistress
True Bloods

Checking it now.

08-04-2013 08:28 AM
Shareya
Sanguine Mistress
True Bloods

Found it!

Yep seems mostly to be a Necrarch specific problem that no one can really explain cheesygrin

08-04-2013 08:30 AM
Duluoz
Grave Guard

Devastated. So the Necrarchs are the Vampire equivalent of the kid who doesn't get an invitation to the party and can't get inside.

Von Carstein: Hey guys, this super cool Vamp is throwing a party, lets go, we've all got invites!
Lahmian: I'm gonna get so wasted and hook up
Blood Dragon: Totally gonna fight someone tonight
Strigori: What if no one likes me? Will I know anyone there?
Von Carstein: Oh woah... Nec, you haven't got an invite dude.
Necrarch: Oh...ok. I'll just tag along and see if I can get in.

At the party. Castle is bouncing, Banshee's are screaming, the works.

Bouncer: Invites or ID guys?
Everyone: *flashes invites*
Bouncer: Have a good night. Woah, woah, where's your invite mate?
Necrarch: Oh I'm with those guys -
Bouncer: Which guys?
Necrarch: The guys you just let in
Bouncer: Need an invite to get in pal.
Necrarch: Can't you just let me in?
Bouncer: Now you're holding up the line. You got an invite or not?

Worst thing is, he totally couldn't even sneak in.

Though as said before, it's not too huge a problem as surely they'll have thralls to enter then invite within.

08-04-2013 09:58 AM
Ordo Cruentus
Order Amongst the Dead

Zombies: 92

Let me tell you how Vampires who want to get in, but need permission, find a sexy loophole:

[Image: Burning+Down+The+House.jpg]

"I don't need permission, if there is no house!"

[Image: blooddragon.gif]
“But we are strong, each in our purpose, and we are all more strong together.”

TVC II Character: Rosa El-Hashem

[Image: sm_angels_encarmine_badge.gif]
08-23-2013 04:21 AM
Ghouly
The Ghoul King
True Bloods

(08-23-2013 04:21 AM)Ordo Cruentus Wrote:  Let me tell you how Vampires who want to get in, but need permission, find a sexy loophole:

[Image: Burning+Down+The+House.jpg]

"I don't need permission, if there is no house!"

Or you rip the door off it's hinges and send in the minions

08-23-2013 06:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vampire afflictions/traditional weaknesses Eternal flitter 14 401 03-18-2014 01:23 PM
Last Post: Get of W'soran
  Vampire Counts Black Library Books Corien Sumatris 58 2,141 02-11-2014 07:20 PM
Last Post: Cataphract
  Vampire Hunting Groups Ghouly 6 432 07-27-2013 06:42 PM
Last Post: Ordo Cruentus
  Vampire Counts Survival Guide Count Krieger von Blutstein 6 673 12-06-2012 12:07 AM
Last Post: Count Krieger von Blutstein
  Vampire Bloodlines Beyond the Old World Malochai 14 1,042 11-24-2012 03:23 AM
Last Post: meowser