This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

!!

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to Carpe Noctem, the biggest forum dedicated to Vampire Counts in the world! Please take a moment of your time to register if you haven't already done so and get access to member only content. It will also get rid of this annoying banner! If you have already registered please login.

See you around the forum.

Disciple of Nagash
Carpe Noctem Owner and Administrator

What is the best formation for units
dongilles
Grave Guard
Trade Count: (0)

Zombies: 103

What is the best formation for units

Hello all,

First: The best wishes for the new year!!

I am going to make some more movement trays, I have trays that are 5*5 (skeleton basesizes) but what is the best formation for the Vampire army? is it 5 models next to each other or more, for all units we have

I ask this because I always thought that a complete rank is the amount of models that are there on the start of the turn with a min. of 5 or 3.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 12:19 PM by dongilles.)
01-06-2014 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Borgnine
Banshee

Zombies: 332

RE: What is the best formation for units

Well, 5 is the usual minimum for units other than MI and MC - so it's a pretty safe bet to do trays in this size. And so is the 'complete rank' in game terms - 5 for everyone save MI/MC which is 3. Zombies work best in long units five guys a row. But sometimes you want to have a different frontage - and regardless oh how many guys you put there at the start of the turn, 5/3 is still the 'complete rank'.

GG for example, sometimes will benefit having wider unit and dealing more damage instead of having additional points in rank bonus. Dire wolves on the other hand, can work in smaller ranks. People use 5 dogs a row, or sometimes 6 dogs, with two rows of three - it gives them more attacks and 6 dogs wouldn't have a rank bonus regardless. Ghouls can work well in a horde formation of 10guys a row, and I often see CH with 8 guys in 4x2 formation. It all depends on how many minis do you have and what you want to do with them - there hardly is a 'one good way'. Maybe someone versed better in the game can tell you more wink

Shameless advertising - My own plog on CN and my WFB deviantART gallery
01-06-2014 12:58 PM
The Sun King
List Maker Extraordinaire
Global Mod

Zombies: 2,692

Zombs and Skels: 5 Wide 8 or more deep.
GG, Ghouls and CH: 10 wide and 4 deep.
DW: 3 wide and 2 deep
Vargs: 4-6 wide and 2 deep (skirmish trays).

[Image: CN_banner2.jpg]
Sunny's Death Korps of Krieg PLOG
01-06-2014 02:29 PM
Gokamok
Banshee

Zombies: 323

(01-06-2014 02:29 PM)The Sun King Wrote:  Zombs and Skels: 5 Wide 8 or more deep.
GG, Ghouls and CH: 10 wide and 4 deep.
DW: 3 wide and 2 deep
Vargs: 4-6 wide and 2 deep (skirmish trays).

Do you often field Crypt Horrors in a 10x4 formation?cheesygrin

EDIT:
I'm just trolling, of course. Sunny's advice is quite sound!
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 04:28 PM by Gokamok.)
01-06-2014 04:27 PM
dongilles
Grave Guard

Zombies: 103

thanks for the information smile
01-08-2014 12:12 PM
The Sun King
List Maker Extraordinaire
Global Mod

Zombies: 2,692

I'm referering to the size of the movement tray (assuming 20mm bases) smile But yeah I field my CH 5x2.

[Image: CN_banner2.jpg]
Sunny's Death Korps of Krieg PLOG
01-08-2014 01:05 PM
Bane
Black Knight

Zombies: 125

Lately I have been running my GG 5 wide. I think if I could afford to put 40 of them on the table I would run them 10 wide, but I normally end up just under 30 (with characters it ups it to 30+) with great weapons and I find that they don't die quite as fast. I guess since I use them as a delivery system for my vamps I am worrying more about giving my opponent CR than generating more from the GG.

Abdul Alhazred Wrote:That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Gravestone.GIF
01-08-2014 06:37 PM
idi3ispwn
Skeleton

Zombies: 13

(01-08-2014 06:37 PM)Bane Wrote:  Lately I have been running my GG 5 wide. I think if I could afford to put 40 of them on the table I would run them 10 wide, but I normally end up just under 30 (with characters it ups it to 30+) with great weapons and I find that they don't die quite as fast. I guess since I use them as a delivery system for my vamps I am worrying more about giving my opponent CR than generating more from the GG.

Why don't you try running your GG 7 wide, gets you some extra attacks and shouldn't give up too much in the way of CR. This is how i normally run them, especially as a delivery system. You don't lose as many ranks as a horde does (but make 4 more attacks), and keep the CR loss to a more manageable level
01-08-2014 06:48 PM
Bane
Black Knight

I tried that, and also 6 wide. I haven't seen any real benefit to me doing so, truth be told. Maybe 1 extra wound? Especially at 7 wide, you are talking about a couple more enemy models possibly getting more attacks.

I think it depends on your meta. If you are playing against a lot of 5-wide enemy units, going 7 wide won't hurt you, only add 4 more attacks. My meta is very WoC heavy. Most armies I go against, I want to limit the number of attacks I take in, because they out-attack me. I have thought about dropping down to sword and board, but I like the idea that if I get a few hits, the GG can do some real damage.

Also lately I have been running my GG with a 4-character suite. VLord or SGK, lvl 3 Master Necro, BSB Hero and Shadow Hero. Going only 5 wide allows me to hide the BSB in the second rank (if necessary) and until the unit is gone hide the Master Necro. Have found it more reliable than putting the Necro in a zombie/skelly bunker. Plus it makes me not afraid to bump up the zombie units and use them as flank guards to protect the GG.

Gravestone.GIF
01-08-2014 11:34 PM
knife n fork
Skeleton

Zombies: 23

With dire wolves being mostly speedbumps, is there a merit to running them less than 3 wide?
01-09-2014 01:44 AM
Bane
Black Knight

They become a little hard to wheel at that point. Since we got the only wolves that aren't Fast Cav, we gotta wheel them.

Gravestone.GIF
01-09-2014 11:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cairn Wriath units? LifeEnder 14 286 04-08-2014 09:33 PM
Last Post: Mc1gamer
  Top 3 VC units? QuantumAsh 26 1,430 03-15-2014 12:10 AM
Last Post: Miklos Vak Vados
  Good "Hammer" Units Hendrik Morvant 7 350 03-14-2014 12:17 PM
Last Post: Seneschal
  how many units in an invocation bubble? DominicJ 7 348 02-14-2014 10:35 PM