• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Neforon

Zombie
Feb 5, 2015
Belgium
Hi guys

So I'm playing a 1k T&T game in my local GW store the 27th. 1k is such a small number for vampire counts that I have trouble building a list. The main problem is one I tend to have in higher point games as well: picking and loading out the generic hero/lord. I believe for 1k a Wight King might be better than a Vampire, but.. eh.. we're Vampire Counts, right?

Here's the list. Get your pitchforks and tochers ready and let me know what you don't think will work. Feel free to exchange bits of the list by bits you think are more suited (I have no Black Knights).

HEROES
- Necromancer, lvl 2, dispell scrol = 125
- Vamp hero with Armour of Destiny, Shield, lvl 2, Quickblood = 222

CORE
- 5 Wolves = 40
- 5 Wolves
- 30 zombies, standard = 95
- 25 zombies, standard = 80

SPECIAL
- 20 Grave Guard, command = 250
- 3 Vargheists, champ = 148

My main strengths are soaking power and a very decent magic phase. My main weakness is flimsy heroes. I'm not sure I'll be able to inflict enough damage without my precious VL. Also, very little protection on the Vamp, cos no buddy system for Nightshroud etc. Should I exchange my necro for a Wight King? Should the Vamp get a Heavy Weapon (and does he get the improved save from the shield if he does)?

Fire away!

Nef

13ingo

Skeleton
Jun 14, 2012
If you are playing with 50% lords/heroes as hellion is asking, I'd drop the necromancer and upgrade the vamp to a lord and basically just kit him out. I probably wouldn't really worry about a dispel scroll in T&T with the amount of shenanigans available from cards. In regards to your question about the great weapon, you get the bonus to armour with a shield from ranged attacks, but not in close combat.

Also, lore of undeath is lovely in small points games, especially if one of your opponents runs a low lvl caster or none at all, choose him as the enemy and he'll find it very hard to dispel.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
Definitely Agree with @13ingo. Two of the scenarios are controlling objectives and the third is Capture the Artifact. CTA is basically a race to middle and if you can summon roadblocks, you basically win. The objective controlling is the same. Just summon some zombies or something and park them on the objective while you go around killing your enemies. The shenanigans can be really rough, so yeah, no dispel scroll needed. If you go UL, take either a TG or a unit of archers because you potentially shoot/scream when it's not your turn.

Neforon

Zombie
Feb 5, 2015
Belgium
I imagine the 50% Lord allowance is of effect. Not sure about the other End Times stuff though. I'll have to go and ask them. I'd love to use the Undeath Lore but I'm a little hesitant because I'm not experienced with (so I might stall the game) and I'm not sure whether we're allowed to play with unpainted models. If we can't, I don't even think I can play as many zombies as there are in my current list.

I'm taking your tips into consideration and I'll post a different list later in the week.

Big thank you so far. It's already really helpful.

Nef

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
If you do take a VL, give him Flying Horror or put him on a Hellsteed. You can still add him to a unit, but if you need him to get somewhere fast, he will be able to do so. Especially for CTA, he could jus pop to the artifact, then fly back next turn. You'll want him to have pretty good saves, so Armor of Destiny, shield, and an Obsidian Amulet would be good or the HA/S, Nightshoud, ToP, OTS build. I don't see why you would have to play with only painted models because that would likely put you at a sever disadvantage that makes no sense for a friendly game. Check on the guide on @najo signature line. It should help you decide what kind of spells you should get.

Neforon

Zombie
Feb 5, 2015
Belgium
Thanks, Alab. I read their guide a couple of times already and I keep learning new stuff. I'll look into it soon!

Neforon

Zombie
Feb 5, 2015
Belgium
I tried building my lord but his points exceed my combined hero cost (the vamp and necro). On top of that he also exceeds my lord allowance, I could get rid of the hellsteed or settle as lvl2 which is not a whole lot, if you ask me. Also, to fit him in then,I need to drop the ghiests, which leaves me with Just the Grave guard as heavy hitters. I might drop the Gg all around, put the lord in a unit of Skeletons or ghouls and then combo charge him with the gheists.

Neforon

Zombie
Feb 5, 2015
Belgium
New list, because I couldnt get the VL how I wanted him and there were too little threats apart from him. The New list is definitely not as good, but I wanted strong magic, flyers and possibly units that Would Hurt.

Master necro, lvl 4, cursed book
Tomg prince, flail, shield, talisman of pres

20 ghouls, champ
5 wolves

3 vargheists
1tbat

The idea is to raise zombies tomkeepmthe enemy of my skin while I Hammer them with the flyers. Ideally I Would 't ave liked to have more punch in my heroes and lords, but it was either magic or damage there. Thats why I took ghouls, so that I can still Hurt something. The prince is there to make em less easy to Kill.

What do you think? Im supposed to be playing VS dwarves, ogres qnd daemons.

13ingo

Skeleton
Jun 14, 2012
If it were me I'd be wanting to have a strong vamp lord especially against those armies. I'd run something like this:

Vamp lord, LVL 3 (Undeath) hellsteed, quickblood, red fury, heavy armour, enchanted shield, ogre blade, talisman of preservation

Necromancer, LVL 2 (Undeath), channelling staff

20 x crypt ghoul /w champion

5 x Dire wolves

Casket of Souls

There's not much in the list but the idea is you summon what you need and where. With two on undeath you can actually summon two units of 3x Vargheists per turn potentially, and the casket gives you extra power dice. This way you can be strong both in combat & in the magic phases.

Keep that vamp lord away from dwarves though or you'll get shot to pieces.

Neforon

Zombie
Feb 5, 2015
Belgium
Good idea. Only problem is I have no casket and might run out of models if Im not summoning infantry. I will definitely have a look at those options though. Sounds like a good plan,

Neforon

Zombie
Feb 5, 2015
Belgium
Let's see...

Vampires, necromancers
some 80-ish zombies, 40-ish skellies, 20 crypt ghouls, 8 crypt horrors, 3 vargheists, 1 varghluf, 1 terrorgheist, 20 grave guard, 2 spirit hosts, 10 wolves, 2 bat swarms, nagash, mortarh kit. That's it so far. I was planning on getting a casket soon-ish, but rather than buying the TK one, I was planning on converting some stuff so it'd fit into my army better, easthetic wise

13ingo

Skeleton
Jun 14, 2012
I'd still be running undeath, you have a decent mix of models there for summons. Crypt horrors are nice summons (summon 4 with a token), as well as spirit hosts.
Shame about the casket, I'd probably still run a similar list but maybe take a varghulf or something instead of the casket, and I dunno, maybe drop the channelling staff and hellsteed and put the vamp in the ghoul block to make up for points for it.

Otarin

Zombie
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah, Just finished a Triumph and Treachery game in preparation for the 5 player game next week.

6 CH's charged on the first round and bogged down the NE's heroes the whole game. At one point I had one CH with only one wound left. Other turns it was 2.

I ditched the wolves thinking I'd get raise dead from a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 necro

First magic phase was mine, miscast. Lost raise dead, curse of years, and vanhel's

That sucked

But definitely keep the horrors. I had to spam IoN to keep myself in the game.

ToP saved me more times than I can count. Brought a dispell scroll which worked out but next time, Black Periphat if I can work it into the points.

Long game and next week it's with 5 players instead of 3

Last edited:

Nicreap

Ghoul
Dec 2, 2014
In this situation the black prior may not be as useful, you aren't guaranteed to have dispel phases, and if you have the prettiest your opponent s may only target you during magic phase to drop nuke spells on you.

Neforon

Zombie
Feb 5, 2015
Belgium
I played my game Friday. Followed ingos advice, apart from taking vamps on my lvl3. It went quite well. The summoning was useful, the vamp lore not so much in such small numbers. I almost won as well, if Id paid more attention to the scores of my oppnonents. It was an interesting experience. The ghouls never had to fight and I never could get a big summon off. The sudden decision that we were going to play with khaine magic had something to do with that.

If I could do ahything differently, Id go undeath on the lvl3 and on the necro as well. Or maybe death on the necro, Although you Just summon a cheap necro and get all the good stuff with khaine Anyway.

Thanks again for all the advice.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu