1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

1500 Kemmler's minions

Discussion in 'Summoning the Deathrattlers' started by Aranei, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Next week I am going to participate in a 1500 pts tournament. The game size is considered "Vanguard", with all the associated restrictions.

My main aim (challenge?) was to use an unridden zombie dragon, which meant that I need a Black Axe wight king with Tomb Blade artifact and Kemmler to heal the dragon, and Crypt Horror benefit from Kemmler's healing, and if the dragon is the flesh-eaters one, it can benefit from an abhorrant ghoul king who also helps the Horrors... I also wanted 40 spearletons.

So, the list:
    Kemmler - Leader (160)

Necromancer - Leader (120)

Black Axe king - Leader (120)
    general, Ruler of the Night, Tomb Blade

Abhorrant Ghoul King - Leader (100)

40x Skeleton warriors (spears) - Battleline (320)

10x Skeleton warriors (blades) - Battleline (80)

Zombie Dragon (Flesh-eater version) - Behemoth (320)

6x Crypt Horrors - (280)

1500 pts total.

The plan is like this: the axe king will be in the center, with all other units staying within 10" most of the time for enhanced Deathless Minions. The king himself can use Inspiring Prescence on spearletons until they feel like charging (or are already in melee), at which point he can give them extra attacks with the Lord of Bones. He will try to join other units in melee with enemy infantry, since the Tomb Blade will heal 1 wound for every kill to the king or dragon, or even horrors or heroes if they are within 6".

The 10 skellies (bought for the last 80 pts just to qualify as a second battleline) will form a chain in front of the dragon, shielding it from charges but allowing him to join the fray if they are charged themselves, since he has long reach. The dragon can fly, so he can easily leave his buker behind when it is neded. I am planning to cast Arcane Shield on the dragon every turn.

The spearletons will harbour the regular necro and Kemmler. The Lichemaster will cast Invigoration every turn (plus en extra other spell), healing the dragon, a wounded crypt horror (if present) and heroes. He can also go melee amids skellies, he can pass wounds to them on 2+, his sword adds more skeletons, risen from slain enemies (which helps when the banner is not sufficient), and he can always flee via his cloak if he meets something threatening. The regular necro is here for Vanhels on skeletons, he can also cast bolt/shield when Vanhels is not need.

The Horrors will be on the opposite flank from the spearletons, with the ghoul king hiding behind them. He gives the horrors re-rolls, and can cast Black Hunger either on them or on the dragon (dragon is a flesh-eater).

Overall, the list has a lot of synergy between models, which I like. It, however, has several wearknesses:

1. If units have to go far away from the general, they lose Ruler of the Night bonus.
    2. Both Tomb Blade and Kemmler's Chaos Tomb Blade require killing 1-wound infantry to be effective, and such units may not be present, or be away from melee.
    3. No recycling for Horrors.
    4. Getting the axe king and Kemmler into melee without riskig them being beaten by monsters/elite infantry can be tricky.

If the next tournament will have the limit risen to 2000 pts, I will add a Crypt Haunter Courtier to the list. Plus something else, likely zombies, a corpse cart, and Vargheists, I own 3 now.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

Hi!

I'm considering the 6 Crypt Horrors will underperform without a Courtier, even with the Black Hunger spell cast on them. Crypt Ghouls would fare better and you could get 30 of them if you let go the 10 Skeletons with shields. They would be Battleline as well and you'd have a second dangerous unit to cast Danse Macabre on, with about the same damage output than the 40 skeletons, although recursion will be an issue.

If you still feel like you'd want to take more advantage of Kemmler's healing spell, you could also try splitting the 6 Crypt Horrors unit into two of 3's, so that your healing spell can try and heal two of them, and have another unit.

Alternatively, you could mount the Ghoul King on top of the Zombie Dragon and spare you 20 pts. He has the Feeding Frenzy spell, which could benefit the Crypt Horrors even more plus the Dragon himself than Black Hunger cast only on 1 of them. He also heals much better with his Royal Blood ability

You could even tweak the points a little and get 3 Horrors and 3 Flayers to add up the points neatly, using both Deathrattlers and Flesh-Eaters, having Kemmler restore as many wounds on the multi-wound models as he can. Or, transform those 10 Skeletons into 10 Zombies and get 6 Crypt Flayers, since they require no Ghoul King support, they have Rend, which makes them better than Horrors against anything with armor (although the Horrors can perform much better against troops with at most a 5+ save. Flayers deal much more damage to units with 4+, more reliably at least)

Like:

Kemmler - Leader (160)

Black Axe king - Leader (120)

Abhorrant Ghoul King on a Zombie Dragon - Leader, Behemoth (400)

40x Skeleton warriors (spears) - Battleline (320)

10x Skeleton warriors (blades) - Battleline (80)

3x Crypt Horrors - (140)

3x Crypt Flayers - (160)

1500 pts total.

Danse Macabre should always be cast on the 40 skeletons since they have the greatest damage output, unless you're dealing with an enemy Hero with shields on, in which case, having 3-6 Flayers with Danse Macabre can make a difference.

3. Ust66

Ust66 Zombie

I agree with putting the ghoul king on the dragon. Otherwise I like it. Not sure if there is a better route than the unit of 10 skeletons given the extra points from combining the king and dragon, I have the same issue in my 1k list using Legion of Death battalion.

4. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Thank you for the replies!
    Why logic is on your side, I will do it my own way because:

1. I have chosen a challenge - to use an URIDDEN Zombie Dragon.
    2. My list of assembled models is limited, and the tournament is in 3 days, so I won't be able to field ghouls, and I have no crypt flayers at all (and my ghoul king is already glued to his base, and not to the dragon).

I, however, recoghize that Crypt Horrors really need the Courtier near them etc., so I have changed my list significantly.

Kemmler - Leader (160)

Vampire Lord (Flying Horror) - Leader (140)

Abhorrant Ghoul King - Leader (100)

Crypt Haunter Courtier - Leader (120)

10x Zombies - Battleline (60)

Corpse Cart (Unholy Lodestone) - (80)

Zombie Dragon (Flesh-eater version) - Behemoth (320)

6x Crypt Horrors - (280)

1500 pts total.

The plan is more or less the same. Zombie replace skeletons (they are supposed to merge, of course). Kemmler can rise zombies with his blade as well (will help them stay at 30). Vamp Lord (Lady in my case) is not so tough as axe king, but can fly, either to keep close to the dragon she is supposed to heal, or retreat away from dangerous enemies. She will also use blood feast to buff the dragon, and spirit blight to debuff enemy elites. Possibly the Ruler of the Night will help her (and the Haunter Courtier, and zombies) stay alive.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. Malisteen

Malisteen Master Necromancer True Blood

use the ring of immortality instead of the tomb blade on the vampire. Too much risk of going straight from alive to dead otherwise. Had problems with that on a wight king with black axe. Vampire even more wants the ring, since once killed it can drop you out with a couple wounds and then on your turn you can heal back up with the chalice.

6. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

Agreed! Even if you glue the Ghoul King to his base, you can "mount" it on top of the Dragon hehe. I wouldn't object anyways.

But to the matter at hand, I fear you will not field enough units with Rend and Zombies are not nearly as deadly as Skeletons with spears!

However, since you're limited on your models, I fear you're using too many Heroes for the Vanguard slot, that only allows up to 4 of them. You can fill the Battleline quota with only 2 units, since you're not using the Legion of Death battalion anymore.

Carstein Ring is good on the Vampire Lord and has a nice combo with his/her chalice!

If you're going to let a Leader go, I would suggest it would be better be without the Necromancer since:

- Danse Macabre can affect Zombies, Crypt Horrors and that's about it. Horrors can hit hard, but not as hard as a buffed Zombie Dragon with both Black hunger and Blood Feast. You need the Ghoul King in order to make Horrors more deadly and so you can't really let him go, without substituting them for at least Vargheists.

In your original approach, maybe the Legion of Death isn't that necessary, and you can do fine with your skeletons and add up Zombies, Corpse Cart and getting a Vampire.

7. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Oh! Curses, I totally forgot about the 4-hero limit! Thank you so much for pointing this out.

Well, back to the drawig board!