• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
Jan 25, 2012
California
Once again I am astounded at how many TO's do not know the rules:slapface:

Still it is not your mistake so dont beat yourself up about it

Narenzade

Wight King
Mar 22, 2012
Anyway, back to my point, I guess.

So, perhaps I should take Konrad out although he does 'butcher' (Pun intended Ogres). I'm fairly certain there will be two Ogre armies there, but I'm not sure about the rest of the field. If I get rid of Konrad, should I take a Vampire Hero or?

Narenzade

Wight King
Mar 22, 2012
Below is my reworked list, but I have a handful of points left. Should I throw a Seed of Rebirth or Dragonhelm or something on the WK?

Lords -
Vampire Lord (Vampires)
Ogre Blade, Other Tricksters Shard, Talisman of Preservation
Quickblood , Beguile, Red Fury
Heavy Armor, Shield

Master Necromancer (Death)

Heroes
Necromancer (Vampires)
Dispel Scroll

Wight King
Fencer's Blades, Ironcurse Icon

Core
50 Skeletons + Full Command + Flaming Banner
25 Zombies
25 Zombies
20 Zombies
20 Zombies
5 Dire Wolves

Special
30 Grave Guard w/ Great Weapons + Full Command & Banner of the Burrows
Spirit Host
Spirit Host

Rare
Terrorgheist
Terrorgheist

Tamodan Varison

Grave Guard
Dec 5, 2008
I still quite like the idea behind the list, but I'm failing to see the point behind some units (e.g. the 50 skeletons with flaming banner, what are they supposed to do? 20 zombies without lvl 4 on vampires) and characters (the Wight King seems like points just thrown away).

I'd swap the skellies for Ghouls, and if you really want to keep the Wight King, make him BSB with flaming banner and run him in the Ghouls, they'll eat monsters for breakfast, particularly with VHDM. Otherwise, drop the Wight king for more GG. Merge a couple of Zombie units, add a few extra DW units to finish. Sparkle with the Ironcurse Icon on one of your other characters. Serve with an aggressive use of the Death-mage, but make sure you don't burn yourself :P

Narenzade

Wight King
Mar 22, 2012
The zombies are there for added drops do I can drop my GG and Gheists against the primary units that I want to smash.

The purpose of the Skeleton unit is to act as a bunker for the VL. Zombies die too easily and have no saves. The Skeletons have armor and a parry. The flaming banner is there for general regeneration hate. It was instrumental in killing off a Hell Pit Abomination... I'm not sure how much regen will be there, but for 10 points it seems like a bargain.

With the WK in the GG unit they can't be forever pitted by ethereal and seems durable enough. Im not totally sure though. This way I have two Hammers, the skellies and the GG.

Tamodan Varison

Grave Guard
Dec 5, 2008
The zombies are there for added drops do I can drop my GG and Gheists against the primary units that I want to smash.

I see. But why wouldn't you use Dire Wolves than? 50% cheaper, can warmachine hunt, great as redirectors, faster,... Only advantages, 'cause anything will kill your 20 zombies in combat just as easily as Wolves. And if your opponent starts shooting your Dire WOlves, your doing fine anyway ;) but it doesn't make that much of a difference though!

The purpose of the Skeleton unit is to act as a bunker for the VL. Zombies die too easily and have no saves. The Skeletons have armor and a parry. The flaming banner is there for general regeneration hate. It was instrumental in killing off a Hell Pit Abomination... I'm not sure how much regen will be there, but for 10 points it seems like a bargain.

This is a very risky and expensive idea it seems. First of all, you invest 300 points in a bunker. That's just too much. Secondly, Zombies are sway better bunkers than skeletons. 40 Zombies cost 120 points, and can't really be killed by shooting. And if you start using parry, your in combat and your Necro is dead anyway.

Last but not least, a unit of Skeletons will do on average 0,66 wounds to an abomination, and 0,33 against a Hydra. Both monsters are faster to boot. So there not really great monster hunters. If you want to run the flame banner, do it on a high strenght unit ;)

Narenzade

Wight King
Mar 22, 2012
So, here is my latest list for 2,400 and it kind of rocks my socks off. I see a lot of potential with the list and I want to share it with you, my favorite VC lovers.

So, here's my thought process...

I drop the VL and the Vampire in the Skeleton unit. The VL and Vampire protect eachother with Nightshroud and the ultimate killing power that is the VL. Ideally I shift them around during the Make Room portion of the CC and get them so that the least threatening thing is in front of my VAmpire while my VL mops up any real threat (I mean he is going first most of the time) So then rank and file models with no Strength bonuses are attacking him on his 3+ armor save. Pretty beaast mode.

The Grave Guard will be on my Skeleton units flank ready to side charge anything.

The Terrogheists will line up against any threats / easy points. I plan on putting my Skeletons / GG up against basic blocks of dudes. Nothing fancy, just straight up decimade big blocks and mop up whats left.

Between my zombies / wolves / host I should beable to control combat and how it happens, especially with a LvL 4 Master Necro dropping IoN bombs all game. I will generally have Danse / Hellish I assume which will help out a lot with winning combat and then if they toss all their dice to dispel my Master Necro, I punish them with my lvL 2 Death Caster (Who will be in the group with my master necro for Leadership).

Thoughts?

Lords
Vampire Lord (Vampires)
Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield
Quickblood, Red Fury
Heavy Armor

Master Necromancer (Vampire)
LvL 4

Heroes
Necromancer (Death)
LvL 2
Dispel Scroll

Vampire (Vampires)
Nightshroud, Heavy Armor, Shield, Red Fury

Core
50 Skeletons + Full Command + Flaming Banner
25 Zombies
25 Zombies
20 Zombies
20 Zombies
5 Dire Wolves

Special
26 Grave Guard w/ Great Weapons + Champion & Banner of the Burrows
Spirit Host

Rare
Terrorgheist
Terrorgheist

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
Jun 14, 2012
Minneapolis, MN area
Since your infantry blocks consist mainly of zombies, which raise very well, and skellys, which can be very resilient in the right fights. Your units really arent going to benefit from the vampire lore buffs as some of our other units, i.e. crypt ghouls, CH. So... Death is definitely the way to go. The TG looooove Doom and Darkness, and Soulblight, well even zombies become decent fighting S2, T2. Sniping spells and Purple Sun speak for themselves. A clear choice given your list composition.
Good Luck!

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
Jan 25, 2012
California
One other thing. I would give your Lvl2 Vampires and your Hero Vampire Shadow just for what is IMO the second best sig in the game

Narenzade

Wight King
Mar 22, 2012
Should I combine some zombie units since I won't have too much rezzing? So they can have some staying power?

Or should I just bait dispel dice with death spells then cast IoNs for one or two dice?

Narenzade

Wight King
Mar 22, 2012
Lords
Vampire Lord (Lore of Vampires)
Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield
Quickblood , Red Fury
Heavy Armor

Master Necromancer (Lore of Death)
LvL 4

Heroes
Necromancer (Lore of Vampires)
LvL 2
Dispel Scroll

Vampire (Lore of Shadow)
Lance, Shield, Barded Nightmare
Armor of Destiny
Red Fury

Core
47 Skeletons + Full Command + Screaming Banner
25 Zombies
25 Zombies
20 Zombies
20 Zombies
5 Dire Wolves

Special
12 Black Knights + Full Command + Banner of Eternal Flame
Spirit Host

Rare
Terrorgheist
Terrorgheist

Total - 2399

The final list. My only real question is in what formation do I run my black knights / vampire?

I will do a battle report because of the help I have gotten with this list. I really appreciate everyone's input. You guys are awesome and I am glad to be a part of this community. If any of you lived in New York, I'd buy you guys a pizza.

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jan 17, 2012
Omnipresent
Well I always run buses 5 wide, but I think johnny mentioned somewhere that he liked to do it 6 wide.

Why was that Johnny?

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
Jan 25, 2012
California
6 wide is 150mm which means you can still get full frontage against 100mm. Pretty much with 25mm combat units there is no reason to run 5 wide as 6 is just better in every way.

Narenzade

Wight King
Mar 22, 2012
So I don't know if I think too much or not...

Same list as above but instead of armor of destiny on my hero Vamp how about Dawnstone, OTS and Dragonhelm?

Thoughts?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu