1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

2500 Sdk: age of sigmar

Discussion in 'Soulblight Symposium' started by Koalaninja, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Koalaninja

Koalaninja Zombie

So my friends and I are going to be playing our 3rd game of AOS which happens to be our 3rd table top war game ever too.

Our first two matches have been fun but entirely unbalanced due to people simply taking what they have finished modelling/painting. It would be too cruel to tell someone new to the hobby that they can't take the screaming bell that they just spent a week painting.

As our collections mature we have decided to build towards 2500 Sdk comp. What are people's throughts on this comp for balance? We have had to adapt it slightly to further balance the game and are thus using the following additional conditions. No summoning and and no units over 25 wounds (the 60 skeleton block I fielded in our first game was ....)

I will be taking the following and an wondering what you think. With a bit of tweaking it falls just below 2500 I want to achieve the right balance of fun and strength without curb stomping.

1 Mortarch of night
    1 coven throne
    1 vlad
    1 necromancer

25 skeleton warriors with spears
    25 skeleton archers
    5 black Knights
    2 morghast archai
    10 grave guard

1 Terrorgheist

2. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

I'd go with multiples of 10 for your skeleton warriors due to their buff for being a big unit. Vlad works best with Isabella as well. Black knights are underwhelming. Blood knights are better in every way. Even grave guard are better than black knights now. Coven throne fits thematically with Mortarc of blood better than night.

3. Koalaninja

Koalaninja Zombie

Thanks for your response.

I am keeping the skeletons small on purpose as my friends couldn't deal with the large unit I fielded last time. I have posting 25 to keep them above the 20 wound threshold as long as possible to maintain two attacks. Is this unwise? To be fair the skeletons have been ignored so far as people gun for my big things.

I agree that I should just take a normal vampire on foot rather than Vlad. The reason for doing so was that I felt that I needed another unit with -2 rend to deal with temple guard who save on a 2+. The TG were overwhelming in small games but as we got bigger and magic became more prominent this has become less important.

The black Knights are indeed horrible now which is a huge shame as I really like the look and feel of the unit and they are all painted. They are just fast chaff :( Blood Knights are 330 points though so are a real investment.

With regards to theme I am inclined to agree with you that the blood Mortarch fits better with the throne. I have painted them both in the same metallic scheme so they kind of fit visually and have even gone as far to put a male vampire on the throne (sigvald model). The re rolls of 1's provided by the Mortarch of night just felt too good to pass up but I can always try he blood one!

4. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

Black Knights have a different role tnan they did on 8th, which is regenerating and staying power. Returning D3 models nets you about 2-6 wounds back, so they are ideal for acting as a bodyguard for fast models, such as Mortarchs or the Coven Throne, surrounding them or running interference while your big guy slays another hero (Neferata can do this quite easily).

Since you'll be dealing with Seraphon and Saurus Guard is your concern, try to pin them down while your own hero slays his Searphon hero. Another thing I noticed is that you're fielding a lot of Skeleton units, that benefit more from command abilities that buff them (Mannfred, Krell, Vampire Lord, Tomb King, Settra), rather than command abilities that debuff enemies (Neferata), so you may want to either include Blood Knights + Neferata, or your original setup is fine.

Last, since Seraphon have such high Bravery values, you may want to ditch the Terrorgheist and include a Corpse Cart, a Mortis Engine or if you can spare, Necropolis Knights, Sepulchral Stalkers or Tomb Scorpions to surprise your enemy with them. A Necrosphinx is also VERY VERY useful.

5. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

I find that Neferata's debuff doesn't need synergy. It has a huge range and no matter who the enemy is a-1 to hit hurts.
    But, Manfred's buff is good too and if you coven throne has a dude on it (which I think is a shame since there are few enough ladies already) then the theme of Lahmia doesn't really matter.
    Agree that corpse carts are very effective synergy with most of the core.

6. Koalaninja

Koalaninja Zombie

Thanks for all the advice people. Why does the corpse cart have synergy with skeletons? I thought that was just with zombies and wolves? Am I missing something?

I have to say the Mortarch of nights arura is really noticed on my archers as with 50 attacks i get to reroll a lot of 1s.

Been toying with the idea of the necrosphinx for a while but the other players in my group (we only play as a 4) are Skaven and chaos warriors so terry my Terrorgheist isn't wasted.

The scorpion is certainly a consideration that I haven't thought of as the Skaven player does use a few war machines but I would have to buy the model.

7. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

You are correct, Corpse Carts have a special synergy with Zombies and Dire Wolves only, however...

the Balefire Brazier and the Unholy Lodestone are quite good buffs / debuffs that will make everything easier for you, while messing up enemy casts. Perhaps summoning is restricted as you play it, but ensuring(well.. -ish) a Dark Mist, Mystic Shield, Spirit Blight or Danse Macabre every turn is what other armies don't have (or at least we have easy access to bonus, like the Reliquary from the Mortis Engine).

I also forgot to include the Screaming Skull Catapult + Wails, Screams, Shrieks, plus the catapult hits are always nice!

-----------------------

On a side note, I do love Neferata's powers (and herself, huahua) but I consider fielding a smaller, more mobile army to stay in the same area where she goes, to maximize her effectiveness, by bringing high save models (Varghulf, Blood Knights, Coven Throne, Zombie Dragon with a Vampire, etc), and I'd rather cover my own troops with a Wight King's battle standard if they are weak, puny but dish out a lot of attacks, like Skeletons, ghouls and the like, that I can spread across the battlefield, need not advance that much and can affect multiple units at once (Mortarch's Vigour of Undeath).

You may want to consider using a Liche Priest rather than a Necromancer to cast Righteous Smiting on Skeleton Archers / Warriors / Black Knights / Grave Guard OR Morghasts for extra killiness without having to sacrifice return attacks on the second pile-in. Both are nice, though.

8. Koalaninja

Koalaninja Zombie

It's amazing how I've been studying these scrolls for the last 3 months and missed the lich priest completely. He's cheaper then the necromancer in Sdk and will have more of an impact. Thank you!!

Without the necromancer I will also abandon the small unit of grave guard as I intended van hells for them. But this is fine as they are the only unit I haven't purchased out of the list I posted.

9. Malisteen

Malisteen Master Necromancer True Blood

Isn't this the homebrew subforum? I thought the army list subforum was 'summoning the deathrattlers'?

Not that you can tell anything from these non-descryptive names, grumble grumble....

10. Koalaninja

Koalaninja Zombie

As a new person I can only agree.....

11. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

I certainly have no idea what the new forums are for