• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
Ok guys so this will be my first battle of this kind. It will be held next Sunday (18th Oct) and there are the battle details:

We'll be using AzryComp with a total of 10pts each player.
Realm of Fire: Brimstone Peninsula.
Hold or Die Battleplan.

The game will have Empire and Dark Elves as the invaders - both are forces from the order faction. One of the players deploys his entire force as detailed in the Hold or Die Battleplan. The other player enters as reinforcements in the second turn. Khorne Battleforce and Destruction Forces will be the custodians. Both players deploy their entire forces as detailed on the Battleplan. The Undead will enter the game on turn 3 and can fight against both factions. If the Undead player manages to kill the last model in the starting order force or the last custodian model he wins a major victory. For the other two groups the normal victory conditions specified on the Hold or Die Battleplan apply.

Needless to say i'll be delivering death to all the living :P and here's the list i'll be using:

5 Dire Wolves
1 Necromancer
3 Spirit Hosts
10 Skeleton Warriors with Banner

As for summoning i'm restricted to keeping 1 unit at a time due to AzyrComp.

I have the following resources for summoning:

2 Spirit Hosts
5 Dire Wolves
Around 20 Skeletons
10 Grave Guards

Tactics? Ideas? Feedback?

Thanks all =]

Reactions: Dragonet

Demian

Vampire Count
Oct 28, 2011
Hmmmm... ok

Your Dire Wolves are your in-and-out unit because of their Slavering Charge, but beyond that, all other units you have will have a hard time wounding stuff. Skeletons + the Necromancer can get a decent To Hit odds, but their numbers are so low, you can't use all of their other bonuses. However, you can guard your Necromancer to keep him from harm, and maybe even let him poke at something with his staff of death (D3 wounds, rend 1)

Those 10 Grave Guard you can summon are your best bet at cleaving through elite units or other heroes, and since all of the models you propose can get Vanhel's Danse Macabre, wait for the proper time to charge them into a fight.

To do so, form your Spirit Hosts in front of the Grave Guard when expecting a charge, and let them soak all the attacks. Then, pile in and munch at stuff with their Great Wight Blades.

Remember to retreat with Dire Wolves so they can charge again next turn, since they have very poor stats and don't have a Corpse Cart to provide them with additional saves (5+ is not so bad, but 4+ would be ideal)

Since you have to kill every last one of either faction, your job is quite difficult, for you must break formation and engage yourself, instead of forming a bastion with all your models and take advantage of cover and such.

If you manage to summon the 20-man Skeleton (from an 11+ cast, if I remember correctly) then you're golden, for now you'll have a true hard hitting unit! I believe Spears will benefit you more in said case, by running a tighter formation while dishing out as many attacks as possible (run them 3x7) and focus enemies until they die and you have time to replenish dead skeletons.

That's all I have .o.

Reactions: Eyeless

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
That was a really detailed reply with strengths and weaknesses.
I should point out that i had to construct my army before I new the number of players playing or that it would have been a 3 way match, otherwise i would have gone with more solid wolves.

That being said i do have the advantage of starting at turn 3 so i can flank/rear the loosing side and hope to eradicate them :P this also give me a summoning advantage as i can field my necro away from other casters so they can't dispell. I do know that they khorne player has a unit or wrathmongers and they should be able to thin out the order quite a bit before i join =] but i'll definitely use that spirits/GG trick as is sounds like the best option, and if playing with spears i might try to get my skele behind the grave guards to do some extra dmg.

Cheers mate =]

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I think the Spirit hosts will be key to summon early and block out the nasty stuff the enemy might come up with, their ability to cause mortal wounds are great! Put them in terrain and they have an unmodifiable 3+ save!

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
Summoning yea but i doubt i'll have the option to fight in terrain unless there is some near my targets. my goal is to wipe them out and i'll start 2 turns later :/

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
Back from one awesome game!

We had order on defence, Chaos & destruction attacking and me ambushing the game on turn 3.

Started with dark elves deploying his bolt thrower on a hill, xbow men at the foothill, with spears and corsairs around for defense. Chaos blood warriors and ogres deploying for a left flanking and orcs and wrathmongers from the front. However charges failed and 3 wrathmongers down with the bolt thrower. Doom diver shot saved.

Empire entered turn 2 from the right edge, supporting the elves, killing the rest of the wrathmongers and cannon shot on the doom diver killing it off. Orcs and ogres made it into combat and wiped the corsairs.

Turn 3 i emerged from the top left edge near the chaos (big mistake) failed charges with my wolves and spirits on chaos. Orcs got eliminated by the xbowmen and empire outriders ogres got in combat with spearmen. blood warriors and herald of khorne charged my wolves and spirits. lost 1 spirit and 1 skeleton for 1 blood warrior.

Turn 4 summoned 3 more spirits cutting the goblin shaman off. lost 3 skeletons and 2 wolves, in combad and 1 spirit with a curse of the bad moon. killed 1 blood warrior. 1 ogre died while killing 8 of 10 de spearmen. Empire missed shots on goblin shaman and moved his outriders closer to me. Bolt thrower fired 12 shots on my wolves, killing 1 and missing 8 bolts on me and killing the khorne herald. xbowmen charged the ogre and managed to get him down.

Turn 5 cast vanhel's dance on 9 skeletons charged into the goblin shaman and combat with blood warriors. massacred the goblin, killed 2 blood warriors in total leaving only 2 alive. on the orders turn a geyser near me erupts killing my remaining wolves, 1 spirit and 2 skeletons and 1 blood warrior. This left only 1 blood warrior alive for the chaos and destruction forces, which was brought down after taking shots from the xbow men and empire outriders.

Thus order won, but a close call as i could have won if i got 2 more casualties on the chaos guys =] great fun!

Reactions: The Sun King

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
it really was epic! and damn ogres are powerful. 1 irongut cleaved 8 spearmen and 6 xbowmen by himself before going down. glad i didn't get in his way XD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu