1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

9th Age - 1500 points Vampire Covenant

Discussion in 'Legions of the Damned' started by MasterSpark, Sep 6, 2016.

1. MasterSpark

MasterSpark Nostalgian Staff Member True Blood

Hello everyone.

In a little more than a week I hope to have my first 9th Age game. I'll be playing against a guy who can bring either Highborn Elves, Ogres or Vampires, although I don't think he'll go for a mirror match. Either way I'm not really interested in tailoring against anything.

My list is more or less decided but there are a couple of choices I'd like your input on. I'll mark them in yellow for you to see. We're using the warband army building rules.

Vampire Count @ 485
    -independent
    -perfect warrior
    -level 3 wizard (necromancy)
    -spectral steed
    -armour of destiny or armour of fortune + ring of fire?
    -book of arcane power

15 Ghouls @ 140
    -skirmish

13 Ghouls @ 120
    -skirmish

2 Bat Swarms @ 60

5 Dire Wolves @ 40

5 Dire Wolves @ 40

20 Barrow Guard @ 230 or 250

-full command group
    -halberds or great weapons?

5 Barrow Knights @ 100
    -standard bearer

5 Vampire Knights @ 280
    -full command group

Total: 1495/1500 points (with halberds on the Barrow Guard)
    Lords: 485/525
    Core: 400/375
    Special: 230
    Rare: 280/375

Yes, the Count is hideously expensive for such a small game but having a model that does everything is one of my big draws to VC. I think the spectral steed will be a great addition since it lets the Count rapidly move around in response to the situation. The difficult choice here lies in going with either a 4+ ward save or a mere 5+ together with the ring of fire. Having a fireball to throw at chaff or vulnerable targets might be useful, and it could apply additional pressure on the dispel dice.

With the Barrow Guard I'm undecided since I don't have the Cadaver Wagon synergy that halberds really benefit from. I could get the points to swap for great weapons by dropping another couple of Ghouls. This raises another question, however...

If I drop another two Ghouls to fit in great weapons on the Barrow Guard, do you think it would be better to just group them all together into one unit and give them a standard? So instead of two smallish units of Ghoul skirmishers I could have 27 of them ranked with a standard bearer, or some other command group configuration.

For strategy, the Count will start out in the middle of the army to get the core moving. The Vampire Knights will probably take a group of wolves with them on a flank, perhaps also joined by the Barrow Knights to help clear the way. The Bat Swarms will stick with the Barrow Guard and help with removing enemy chaff and also lend a hand in combat with their debuff. The Ghouls will be tasked mostly with just keeping things away from the flank of the Barrow Guard.

Thanks for looking. I'll let you know how it goes!

2. MasterSpark

One thing I also wonder about is just how much an issue having a mismatched base will be. The Count joining the Barrow Guard, for example. Has anyone got experience with that?

3. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

Ring of Fire is very nice, but I think you'd be better of with the 4+ ward save. Since the vampire will be in combat you should have as good protection as you can get.

I'd say great weapons since you don't have a Cadaver Wagon. Only thing speaking for halberds is that the unit is small so it might not get to strike with great weapons. But on the other hand, initiative 3 definitely won't guarantee you that will strike first, so might just go with the extra strength.

While I like skirmishing ghouls, and definitely think units as small as 10 are useful, I think the army could use another scoring unit. Marching the together and giving them a banner is therefore probably the better choice.

Mismatching bases is not ideal. Whenever you move the unit you should take a moment to consider which side you should the character on, cause having it on the wrong side can cost you the game. Remember that he cannot Make Way and that combat reforming gets trickier. And always remember that you cannot combat reform at all if you are attacked in two or more arcs.

4. MasterSpark

Thanks @Mad 'At, I think I'll go with your suggestions.

I don't mind the added brain exercising with mismatched bases. At least not before I've been screwed over by it. :tongue:

When fighting to the unit's front it shouldn't present a problem though, right? The mismatched base is still taken into account when it comes to maximizing models in base contact?

Despite such drawbacks I still feel that spectral steed is the superior option when it comes to mobility with the ability to still hide in units. The flying carpet is the other choice but it eats up so many magic item points. Plus it'll still be a mismatch, just with cavalry instead.

5. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

When fighting in the front it is fine. Though you might get flank charged latter and then you will be unable to move the character. For the most part it makes no difference on which side the character is, but sometimes it does and therefore you should always consider it when you get the change to rearrange the unit.

6. MasterSpark

Ah damn, I had overlooked the rules for joined characters with different unit types against shooting. The spectral steed won't let the Count hide from anything while inside the unit of Barrow Guard. I'll have to take another thought on spectral steed vs flying carpet now. If I go for the carpet instead I think I'll save around 70 points in total since I'll have to let go of the book of arcane power (sniff). I could use that for a Necromancer with either fireball or another invocation.

Edit: If I bring the halberds back to the Barrow Guard I might be able to fit a cadaver wagon with bonepyre instead of a necro. That'll give me the magic defence that I had before plus other benefits.

I'll be back...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  7. MasterSpark

All right, I'm throwing caution to the wind and going with the spectral steed for the count. I think I'll keep either the Barrow Knights or the Vampire Knights central so that the infantry gets a chance to keep up. I'm also going back to halberds on the Barrow Guard and giving them the War Standard instead for about the same points.

The list will therefore be like this.

Vampire Count @ 485
    -independent
    -perfect warrior
    -level 3 wizard (necromancy)
    -spectral steed
    -armour of destiny
    -book of arcane power

26 Ghouls @ 235
    -standard

2 Bat Swarms @ 60

5 Dire Wolves @ 40