1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

A Beginner's Roleplay Guide

Discussion in 'Theatre de Vampyre' started by Count Darvaleth, May 30, 2011.

1. Count Darvaleth

Count Darvaleth I <3 marmite Staff Member True Blood

Roleplaying Guide

Hiya CN!

Now we have a roleplay section, I felt it best to create a set of guidelines/help page so you guys can get stuck in to roleplaying. This will primarily talk about GMing (ie: game-mastering or hosting) a roleplay.Most roleplays should have both an OOC (out-of-character)/ Recruitment thread, where you can get people into your roleplay and discuss any issues there that arise during the RP, and also an Action thread; where the story actually happens. I will go over these two threads now. Feel free to use this as a template for your own use!

Please note: This template is not the be-all and end-all of roleplaying; the TVC section here on CN uses a very different model, which you can see in the User Projects section.

Recruitment & OOC

This is where you as a GM make your sales-pitch to get people into your roleplay. The following format is strongly recommended:
    Brief Introduction

Give a few points detailing what the RP will be about. Eg: This roleplay is about Mr Bob and his adventures as he journeys through the Chaos Wastes to kill Khorne. He meets up with several headless chickens on the way, who give him sage advice, but also has a core of helpful cooks to keep him going as he makes his way north. Whilst all manner of foul creature stands in his way, Mr Bob will not stop until he has reached his goal!

Whilst a little silly, it is the general idea. The characters (the cooks) accompany Mr Bob to the Chaos Wastes, possibly meeting headless chickens and "all manner of creature" which leaves it quite open but gives users a taster of what they will be seeing.

Roleplay Rules

Whilst tedious, many GMs (myself included) feel it is necessary to make these points clear. Some rules I'd generally expect to see could be these:

1. Minimum post-length of four sentences.
    2. The GM reserves every right to accept/deny a character from entering, and also retains the right to remove any player from their RP should they so choose.
    3. No god-modding (god-modding discussed later) or player-killing without prior notice and confirmation.
    4. Post once/twice per update ( updates discussed later) but do not spam smaller posts and clutter the thread. Of course, if two characters are interacting with each other, exceptions will be made and it is perfectly allowable to post four, five, or even six times in an update.
    5. If you miss three updates without notice, your character may be killed/turned into a NPC (non-player-character) at the GM's discretion.

I know lots of that is obvious to some of you, but I feel it should be said beforehand so there are no nasty surprises later on.

Character Sheet

This is what the GM will expect from anybody who wants to join the RP. They shouldn't be massive, but not tiny either; they're all everyone else has to go on for your character, after all. A typical character sheet may take this format:

Name: (pretty self-explanatory)

Appearance: (clothing/ armour and physical features)

Personality: (what is the character like? any quirks? how do they act with others?)

Brief History: (describe your character's background. A massive book is not required here, but nothing small and weedy either, as this is one of the richest parts of the sheet and your chance to show off)

Equipment: (depending on the RP, this will be where equipment and weapons are detailed)

The GM may also want to specify what kind of character players can choose (Space Marines? Dark Elves? Goblins?) and what equipment they can take, and any other more specific parameters.

Player List

Just a list of characters who have been accepted into the RP, which the GM can edit to add as the recruitment progresses, for ease of use and for reference. A particularly daring GM may even put links to each character's sheet there also!

OOC

This is not a necessary section in the original post; it is simply the whole thread. It is things such as "hey GM I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing" or "GM why did Mr Bob hit me?" etc. which you couldn't say in the in-character posts. GM will answer any queries etc. and perhaps poke people to get posting in this thread, or say whether they are having a holiday and can't post etc.

A note on god-modding: God-modding is the common term for a player essentially posting something that their character either shouldn't be able to do or is unfair on others; for instance, something like this:

"As we all approached the enemies, my guardsman whipped out his gatling megalaser and pwned them all cause he's ownage, the the Emperor got off his throne and was like "ZOMG man you're sick".... etc.

However, it may also be controlling somebody else's character or something the player cannot control (ie: anything except for his own character, unless specified otherwise). God-modding is generally not tolerated; it's not a criminal offence or anything, the GM can just say "sorry man, please edit your post for X reasons because it's god-modding" and everything is all right. :thumbsup:

Action Thread

Essentially where the roleplay happens. The GM is expected to lead the players in the direction of the story and not just leave them to their own devices. For the example of an update, I will pinch an update from a roleplay of mine. While it is by no means perfect, it's an indicator of the sorts of things you can be doing:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Kraskor and his group of vampires slowly made their way towards the fleet, the Count's thoughts were interrupted by Bartram.

"I am inclined to deny your scouting request. You will see once we get sailing quite why you do not want to be flying above the sea at the moment..." replied the Count, moving on before another vampire scurried in front of him, bowing. The Necrarch. His skills better be worth the smell, thought Bloodfang. He was impressed, however, by his knowledge of the Blood Dragons.

"You are most perceptive, Cedrick, to think that the prize I seek is a dragon. You must know a lot of our bloodline. No, the prize we set out for is far greater than any dragon. It's power will have dragons crumbling before us in submission. You'll see." replied Kraskor, cryptically. He couldn't tell them what he searched for, only the Saint could understand it properly. Kraskor had barely been able to grasp the power he could understand, but he knew there was so much more he was ignorant of. Not for long, anyway.

Eventually, you all make your way to the fleet:

It is a grand sight: three swift-moving fastships, a convoy ship laden with servants and supplies, as well as any mounts, a ghostly ethereal ship crewed by spirits, and the great warship itself: the Bloodtalon. It was massive, with cannons lining its sides, mortar-stations hidden on the deck, layers of tattered red sails, and a great black skull fixed to the front of the vessel. The dead marched across each ship, skeleton-crews keeping the ship in order whilst magic powered the sails. The swift-ships were manned by only a few of the Count's vampires; the majority of his knights remained aboard the Bloodtalon.

You are lead aboard the mighty warship, and are each granted separate quarters. Describe them: are they low down in the ship? Near the top? Secreted away in a corner? Do they have a window? They will all be quite small, but not tiny; what is inside them? Slaves bring you food and drink, and each receive one human thrall to feed on should your hunger take you.

The fleet eventually sets away, the sight of the Blood Bastion fading as the ships slip quietly away into the night...

You are woken by a great roar. It is Count Bloodfang, demanding everyone on deck and battle-ready. Mere seconds later, the report of booming cannonfire is heard, and a great spray of water erupts around the ship. You scramble up to the deck to a scene of bitter naval warfare.

"We've been spotted by an Imperial patrol!" roared Bloodfang, bedecked in his crimson armour, his will-force driving the crew to man the cannons. "They sent for reinforcements faster than we could out-sail them. Three blasted Imperial warships!"

You all can see the enemy fleet, even in the darkness. Rain lashes the deck, and lightning strikes occasionally, lighting up the cloud-swathed sky. The three main warships, all slightly smaller than the Bloodtalon, are advancing in a wedge formation to the flank of the vampire fleet. The supply ship has circled behind the Bloodtalon, and the three fast-ships have swung around to get amongst the enemy fleet.

"Ready yourselves!" roared Bloodfang as the fleets ran into each other. Furious cannon-fire erupted as broadsides smashed into each other. The Bloodtalon rammed one enemy vessel amid-ships, and soon hooks were swung across.

"Cross the gap! Take the warship!" roared Bloodfang. The Blood Ring flashed an evil crimson just as lightning flashed overhead. The thunderbolt was manipulated by the fowl magicks, hitting the stricken Imperial ship dead on. Fire erupted along the vessel, as their crew desperately prepared to repel the vampiric attackers. "Charge!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

All: Finish up anything you had to do beforehand first, then respond to this (in one post preferably). You must cross onto the other warship and finish off its crew. Battle flares all around, cannonballs flying through the air, lightning streaking the sky, rain pouring down onto the two ships locked together. This is your first taste of battle under Bloodfang, and already he has bent the thunder to his will. Perhaps reflect on this as you butcher the enemy warriors...? Remember to post your initial reactions to the fleet, and your quarters. Essentially everything that applies to you (ie: most of it) from the above post as well as any further details below.

Batram: Your undead mount flies through the air from the supply ship. As you mount it, you see another shape flit into the sky: a Brettonian noble, sitting astride a great white pegasus, has taken to the air to fight you. He is fully clad in strong armour, which will be hard to break through. He is also armed with a glowing blade, which sizzles as the rain burns around it. This is not a one-post kill. You will fight him and the next update will then direct you.

Ripclaw: The smell of blood is ripe in the air, and you soon transform into a full varghulf. Your powerful haunches could easily propel you onto the top-deck of the other ship, where the captain struggles at the wheel. He is armed with a blade that moves as quick as lightning, and quickly six elite warriors wielding great-swords form up around him. This will be a tough fight.

Dietrich: You can easily leap across the gap between the ships. However as you land a group of soldiers, armed with pistols and blades, gather around you. There are four of them: how will you defeat them?

Mal'caor: As you spin through the air to the other side, your chains catch on the ropes. However, you can use this to get up higher, and possibly do severe damage to the ship's mast and sails. It is an opportunity nobody could miss. However, as you scale the rigging, you see a man in the crow's nest, armed with a rifle, and shooting at you! How will you avoid being shot down, kill the man, and cut the mast's weak point?

Cedrick: You cannot make the jump as easily as the others, however, you may not need to. You can use your magic from afar, or perhaps try something a little more experimental... take Kraskor's example with the lightning, for example. A plentiful supply of energy just being wasted, and so easily re-directed... should you choose to control some of the lightning, you can use it to strike at the opposing ship's cannons, hoping to strike the magazine. I will determine whether or not you manage to blow big stuff up.

Azazrel: As you cross the gap, you catch your foot and fall. You almost fall straight into the raging water, but manage to hold on to an open window. Climbing in, you find yourself in the bottom of the ship, and notice water filling it fast. You need to get up, but crew block your path as you ascend; how many and of what nature is up to you. You will not reach the main deck in this update.

Hans: You manage to cross the gap, and are confronted by a group of pikemen. There are six of them, but they are poorly arrayed, an easy target for a hunter of your skill.

Draza and Sir Gavin: You make it across to the other ship, and stumble across a mortar team trying to shoot straight at the Bloodtalon. You cannot allow them to succeed. There is also a group of guards, so your team-work will be required. Perhaps it is time for Draza to release the inner wolf?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here the GM controls a character (Kraskor Bloodfang) and the other players each have their own colour. First a bit of fluffy stuff is posted, then the update itself detailing what each player should be doing. It's relatively free, but keeps them going towards the general direction of the story-line.

I hoped this helped. If you have any queries/comments, please feel free to post here and I'm sure either myself or Sweeny Todd will be able to help. I hope you enjoy roleplaying on CN!

Count Darvaleth

2. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

RE: Roleplay Guide

Very nice Darvy :thumbsup:

3. Count Darvaleth

Glad you liked it. I hope it helps some of you out there, and those of you lurking but not signing up to CN (we can see you!) please do join and come to the roleplay section! xD

[Sneaky, eh? Getting innocent bystanders to join as well as current members...!]

4. Sanai

Sanai Stylish Deviant True Blood

I really like that.... off to the quote thread!

5. Count Darvaleth

*Sigh* And here I thought somebody had a genuine question. xD

6. Mello

Mello Hasn't left TVC for the rest of the forum True Blood

Whith this update thing.. Is this IC or OOC, I would think it stupid to put in the in context bit..

I migt be starting a 40k ROleplay (due to gunhearts epic fail)

How could I fins if anyone is interested?

7. Count Darvaleth

The update is sort of a mixture. Of course, your character will not sit there saying "do this, this, that or the other, you may want to do this, perhaps do this" in the middle of combat. It is essentially instructions or parameters for what the GM wants to see from the characters to move the story forward.

As for gathering interest, open up a recruitment thread (I recommend using this guide as a template) post up what the RP is about etc. (as covered above) and then, well, say how many you want to join (ish) and wait! xD The only way to find out is to do it, and with the relatively small number of roleplays here I'm sure there'll be plenty of people up for it.

8. Mello

Mello Hasn't left TVC for the rest of the forum True Blood

Ok. Let's start this thing :)