1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Adam Barrow - The Hexenjaegers of Morr

Discussion in 'The Faces of Our Next Meal......' started by Adam_Barrow, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

"Suffer no abomination unto the eyes of Morr. If once it lied and now is risen, we shall send it back into our god's domain. For Heaven or Heavenless, we are all headed for the same sweet Darkness."

To Mordheim we shall go!

With my Undead damned near finished, it's time for a new project. I've always loved the Witch Hunter angle in the Empire story, but it was never enough to make me consider a full Empire army. So instead, may I present my Mordheim Witch Hunter warband, the Hexenjaegers of Morr.

[​IMG]

First, the captain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, his lieutenants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Brotherhood, a Warrior Priest and his Flagellants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Halfling Scout, fresh off a Skeleton kill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Hounds of Morr!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for now, lads. I'll go more in depth as it goes along, of course. Thanks for stopping in!

Dragonet, The Sun King and wheeljack like this.
  2. MasterSpark

MasterSpark Nostalgian Staff Member True Blood

You've certainly got an eclectic bunch of warriors gathered here. I particularly like the lucian swordmaster, I love that model. And a cybernetic dog in Mordheim... well, why not? :clown:

I'll be keeping an eye open for updates!

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  3. Adam_Barrow

@MasterSpark That was definitely the plan from the onset. Since it's such a small model count game, I was very picky with the models I chose. I wanted to make sure each one had a lot of character so I can really put in a good effort with each one. And she's one of my favorites too. I definitely wanted a woman in the group, and that model has a lot of style. Thanks for looking!

Dragonet likes this.
  4. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@Adam_Barrow I love the whole Van Helsing theme going on. Awesome minis to be painted up and the robot dog is a diverse touch (hey, the empire has mechanical steeds!).

BIG big fan of the chick skewering the ghoul. I like the zomblin chasing the dwarf too. Good one!

Dragonet and Adam_Barrow like this.
  5. Adam_Barrow

@Farmer7574 Thanks, homie. The White Dwarf model was a great find. Really cool edition of him GW put out that year. And for E-V the robopup, I think she helps bring home the Empire vibe for the warband. There's loads of weird mechanical stuff in their line, and I think she's a good fit. I'm excited to get cracking on them. Spent the last two days getting them to this point when my bases finally arrived.

Dragonet likes this.
  6. Farmer7574

@Adam_Barrow Well mate you've done awesome work on this warband and I bet it looks cool painted up. Nice choice of bases too!

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  7. Adam_Barrow

@Farmer7574 The bases were a tough choice. I ended up going with 25mm round cobblestone for a couple of reasons. First, I like the look of the round bases, and the extra millimeters gave me some room to play with little diorama scenes like the Dwarf about to bonk the Gobbo Zombo. It feels kinda sly deciding to play a small scale fantasy skirmish game on round bases that GW abandoned so long ago instead of diving into Age of Sigmar.

I knew I wanted gravestones on the bases because I planned a Morr themed Witch Hunter warband (the fact that I've got a ton of undead bitz lying around certainly made that an easy task), but I thought having gravestones on cobblestone might look weird. When I looked back at the Garden of Morr and saw the flagstones with gravestones on them I was glad to see there was already precedent for it. It makes sense that a god that's anti-undead would put stones over graves to ensure the dead stay buried.

Dragonet and Farmer7574 like this.
  8. wheeljack

wheeljack Skeleton

What they gonna do if they run into some ghosts? This team needs a steampunk ghostbuster lol

[​IMG]

Dragonet likes this.
  9. Adam_Barrow

That--is a really good idea, actually. It'll need to be the 40k guy because he's already wearing a backpack. That can happen, I think.

Dragonet and wheeljack like this.
  10. The Sun King

The Sun King Imperator Staff Member True Blood

Can't wait to see them painted!

11. Farmer7574

wheeljack likes this.
  12. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I love your choice of models, and as everyone - I think the girl is especially awesome. The wide array of different dogs is also impressive, from where did you get them? And the girl?

Mordheim really has an interesting scale when you can really focus on few dudes and not churn out zombies counted in kilograms. I am also looking forward to seeing them painted :)

Dragonet and Adam_Barrow like this.
  13. Adam_Barrow

@Borgnine Much obliged, homie. There's two Malifaux dobermans, two of the old Orion wolfhounds from the Wood Elf line, E-V is a cyberhound from Inquisitor I believe, and there's one Mordheim rottweiler--the only actual Witch Hunter warband model in the whole gang. The lady is the Lucian Swordmaster from Raging Heroes, I think. The same company that made the Warrior Priest.

Dragonet likes this.
  14. Borgnine

I should have recognized orion hounds! And after you told me, I do recognize the Malifaux miniatures style, nice minis they have ;) I wouldn't have guessed that the lady is Raging Heroes miniature, she's kinda toned down and ... normal? Their minis are normally very extravagant, especially women xD Nice finds! The white dwarf probably wasn't easy to get too :thumbsup:

Dragonet likes this.
  15. Adam_Barrow

@Borgnine Oops, glad you said that. Just double checked. It was Avatars of War, not Raging Heroes. RH made my Lamassu head for my Chaos Dwarves. Good catch. And you're right, that Vampire Hunter White Dwarf wasn't cheap. Ebay pulled through for me there.

Dragonet and Farmer7574 like this.
  16. Adam_Barrow

Mordheim things have happened.

First up, I cane by a really cool 4'x4' mat with ruined city makeup on. Pricey, but cool. Graveyard bits for scale. Dog head for distraction.

[​IMG]

Pegasus Hobbies make a Gothic City series. Bye bye dollars. Got to work. They paint up pretty fast too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a big ol' church thingy. Don't mind the boat, the roommate made it for dnd. Havoc**Squad 4 Lyfe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dragonet likes this.
  17. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

This whole project is awesome! I will be hunting down that scenery for sure, and if I ever go near Mordheim- or Frostgrave- I'll know where to come for inspiration!

18. Adam_Barrow

@Dragonet Thanks, man! We're making a trip to St. Louis at the end of June for a gaming weekend with the lads from school, so Mordheim is near the top of the priority list right now. Those Pegasus Hobbies kits are really cool, and interchangeable so you can mix and match kits. I can definitely recommend them. Thanks for looking, and for the kind words.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Dragonet likes this.
  19. Borgnine

Good to see an update from you :) That's a big lot of buildings - but with some drybrushing - as you wrote - it goes fast, which is nice. Bloody window frames are a very good idea :thumbsup: This church/chapel looks weird to me, using flying buttresses when having no aisles, but that probably makes it more modular and easier to use - and this is just an architect rambling xD Very good set nontheless, good luck during games ;)

20. Adam_Barrow

@Borgnine Thanks, dude! They've been super fun kits to build, and I already know I'm gunna be buying more from them. Yeah, some of the design choices were more for interchangeability than accuracy, I'm sure, but the results can be amazing. Some of the PH Gothic building kitbashes I've seen on google are jaw dropping. I wanna buy an extra kit or two just to experiment with even, especially since I want more vertical options when we're playing.

21. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

I'm definitely plotting a Necromunda mashup of Deadzone scenery for the lower levels and some Gothic stuff for the Spyres.

22. Adam_Barrow

@Dragonet These kits could easily pass for high fantasy /and/ future settings, definitely an option for you. I'd like to see what you come up with!

Dragonet likes this.
  23. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Me too Adam...

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  24. Adam_Barrow

That's the stone done on all 5 structures. Still the iron bars + rust effect, and some green/brown wash here and there to go, but well, it's been a long week. Maybe at it again tomorrow. One more building set to buy, and I'll call it good on these kits.

[​IMG]

25. Borgnine

Very nice! If all of it will get those green patches and rust on the bars as the part on the left, it'll look terrific! I would consider adding some brown grime just at the line when it all contacts the ground, to suggest dirt, but it'll look great even without those. Also, what about the floors? They look rather unpainted as of now...