1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Age of sigmar

Discussion in 'Gateway to the Realms' started by El Syf, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Menkeroth

Menkeroth A Knight of Blood

It will. After all, how many didn't think the dwarves would make it and so soon?

2. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

This is actually the second dwarf release since AoS started whereas we didn't get any new models. GW never ceases to confound me.

3. Menkeroth

Save for crypt flayers, yes (aye, lazy and plain, but still). But with these new skellies from the Shadespire am confident we will get more. After all, GW can wait quite a time but then still produces new stuff.

4. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Skeleton warriors are 'Sold Out' (at least on polish and german sites), rather than 'Out of Stock', maybe they are getting ready to rebox them? Yet another reboxing though, that would be lame...

5. Menkeroth

Quite possibly, reboxing plus these new ones from the game. Why not, for a start.

6. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

I don't know.
    Seraphon's Carnosaur is Out of Stock... its cost was the same as the "start collecting" box, which includes also other models, so no one was buying the single carno, and now it's no more available. You buy the starter box and you have it.

For skeleton warriors I hope it will be a different thing. Yeah, they are included in the box with Arkhan/Neferata, but they are core troops, It would be silly to force me to have 5 Neferata's models if I need a skeletons' army.

7. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

It's definitely a reboxing according to my local GW. Here's hoping it'll be a 20 model box.

Unas the slayer likes this.
  8. Unas the slayer

Good news, then...

9. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Some news!
    The next week iwas said to be the week of Age of Sigmar - Skirmish (already announced earlier)!
    There will be new products:
    Age of Sigmar Battlemat: Soulblight Necropolis (!)
    Age of Sigmar Skirmish, skirmish rules softcover book
    Warbands:
    Flesh Eater Courts Nightfeast Hunters
    Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband
    Khorne Bloodbound Frenzied Goretribe
    Sigmarite Mausoleum Age of Sigmar - 2x Garden of Mor set
    Stormcast Eternals Hammerstrike Brethen
    SkirmAoS.jpg

UPD:
    Skirmish teams are:
    Khorne:
    5 Blood Warriors
    5 Wrathmongers
    1 Aspiring Deathbringer

Stormcast:
    3 Liberators
    2 Retributors
    3 Prosecutors
    1 Knight-Questor

Ghouls:
    20 Ghouls
    3 Horrors
    (Heroes are Courtiers?)

Ironjawz:
    5 Ardboyz
    5 Brutes
    1 Wierdnob Shaman

Eyeless likes this.
  10. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Yesterday, the men who writes fluff for Warhammer Underworlds was featured on WarhammerTV. He revealed the following things:

- Shadespire is a city.
    - It is situated between the realms of light and shadow (it is possibly a metaphora, not nessesary meaning Hysh and Ulgu). During the Age of Myths, it was a trade hub in the Realm of Death. It was a rich city, inhabited by some folks called "cataphrans". They have invented something that prevented souls of the dead from going to the underworlds, which allowed to preserve and share knowledge gained during their life. Of course, Nagash was enraged that some souls are not going to him. He did something horrible to the city, removing the "soul from the city" (whatever that means). Other human nations across Mortal Realms we so scared of the curse of Nagash that they burned all the maps depicting Shadespire and its surroundings, killed envoys from Shadespire, etc.. And so the city was left to rot amids the desert, and by the time the Age of Chaos started, nobody new anything about Shadespire. The city is vast, and still full of treasures and artifacts.
    - Recently, the city was re-discovered, and lots of warbands willing to claim the treasures hurried to the city..
    - Not all of the inhabitants of the Realm of Death are skeletal warriors (surprise). Freepeople are also living in Shyish. Warbands can come from any Grand Alliance.
    - The desert around te city is a bone desert, where the wind can drain your soul and turn you into a skeleton. So, only half of the adventurers actually reach the city.
    - Writing fluff for the Shadespire is about more than just creating a single city, it is also about working on the conception of the whole Realm of Death.
    - In the Realm of Death, there are oasises with water and plants where anybody can live.
    - The "cataphrans" have cheated death, which was their greatest achievement and the defing moment of their history (a new Death sub-faction possibly?).
    - Some parts of the city feature bone hills (like shifting dunes coming from the desert, possibly?), with dread spirits wandering around (around the hills or around the city, I wonder?).

That's all, folks! What do you think?

Malisteen likes this.
  11. Menkeroth

Sounds good. Not that original or especially inspiring, but good nevertheless. Would be great to see not only new skeletons, or maybe that's just really the start for their battletome?

12. Unas the slayer

Some things are interesting, tnx for sharing.
    At least, Shadespire seems more unusual than Mordheim.

Technically, also Liche Priests are still "living". But i bet these ones are different.

13. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

It seems that the new AoS Skirmish is set in the Shadespire as well!

"Lying forgotten in the Desert of Bones, the ruins of the spectacular ancient city Shadespire are brimming with untold riches and power, ripe for the taking. Though it is now a mere skeleton after being put to the torch by Nagash, the city's treasures remain, a morbid hint at the splendour that existed before Shadespire’s soul was torn away…

Take command of a small warband of warriors and put your skill, wit and determination to the test with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Skirmish: a book containing the information and rules needed to fight Skirmish battles – including a hard-fought campaign amidst the ruins of Shadespire! Assemble a small warband of single models and take to the gaming table, building renown and adding to your warband with every glorious victory.

Within this 40-page softback book, you’ll find:

Skirmish Rules

- A set of simple modifications for the core rules of Warhammer Age of Sigmar that introduce skirmish battles – small-scale, intense fights between anything from a trio of models to a marauding band of fifteen models and upwards;
    - Details of battling in skirmish formation – models fight as individuals, rather than groups, meaning each model is treated as a single unit. This alters the way certain effects and abilities work in a subtle way, and emphasises fast, aggressive, tactical gameplay;
    - The General: each player chooses a general from the Heroes in their warband, who can use a command ability, artefact of power, and three new wizard spells from the tables supplied in the Skirmish rules;
    - Battleshock: again, tweaked from the core Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules to encourage fast, brutal gaming, Battleshock can turn the tide of war in a single dice roll – you better hope your general is stoic in the face of slaughter!
    - All-new command abilities, artefacts of power and mysterious terrain rules;
    - Clarification regarding summoning and generation of extra attacks and hit rolls in Skirmish games.

The Shadespire Campaign

Included in the book is a linear narrative campaign, pitting two - or with some judicious tweaking, more – players against each other in a series of brutal skirmishes as your warbands fight bitterly over the incredible treasures of Shadespire. This campaign comprises six Battleplans representing a story from the murky dawn of your warbands’ first day on the outskirts of Shadespire, through to the climactic battle that decides the outcome of the whole campaign.

Between games, your warbands can earn and spend renown – the more renown earned, the more glory-seekers will join your general on his quest for treasure – and discover Rewards of Battle: charms, glyphs and relics that enhance the abilities of your warband in new and interesting ways.

Skirmish Matched Play

The true test of a general’s mettle is the meeting of equally-matched warbands, where tactics and strategy outweigh sheer numbers when deciding how the battle ends. This book contains a guide to putting together your own Matched Play Skirmish battles, with included points values allowing you to assemble matched warbands from models representing each of the four Grand Alliances. Any Battleplan from the General’s Handbook can be used in a Skirmish Matched Play game.

Please note, you’ll need a copy of the Warhammer Age of Sigmar core rules (available as a free download) to use this book."

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Age-of-Sigmar-Skirmish-ENG-2017

So, now we will have regular AoS, AoS Skirmish and Warhammer Underworlds, the latter two games set in the Shadespire City.

14. Unas the slayer

I will certainly buy it.
    The good part is that GW is constantly supporting and expanding AoS: their "efforts" are not being diverted by the incoming 40K 8th.

Oppenheimer and Menkeroth like this.
  15. Menkeroth

Exactly - many feared it would be so but appears not! great news. Ironically, it is what was thought before launching the AoS.

16. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

I'm going to get the Moor double pack and the battlemat for sure. I'll try Skirmish but am pissed that it will not include any finecast models or compendium. That leaves TK, Brets and Vampire Lords out.

17. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Deathrattle warband for AoS Skirmish!

Also I have the book on hands.

Recursion doesn't work in the skirmish, so Death feels to be a weak faction. Units that had no recursion initially seem viable, like Vargheists, Spirit Hosts, Wraiths, Banshees and Morghasts.

Pic related.

Attached Files:

18. Menkeroth

Interesting choice. Do they get all kinds Death units if they wish?

19. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Basically, everything from the GA: Death book is available, except big models (monsters/warmachines), named characters and finecast models.

Deadwalkers: zombies, dire wolves, corpse cart
    Deathmages: Necromancer
    Deathrattle: Wight king with baleful tomb blade, skeletons, black knights, grave guard
    Flesh-Eater court: Abhorranr ghoul king on foot, courtier heroes, ghouls, crypt horrors, crypt flayers
    Nighthaunt: Cairn wraiths, Banshees, Spirit hosts
    Soulblight: Vargheists

Morghasts cannot be used in skirmish actually ((

20. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I haven't been able to figure out if units like ghouls, skeletons, and zombies still get their bonuses from having high numbers. If I bring 20 zombies, do I still get +2 to hit and wound as long as I have at least 20 models?

Flesh Eaters is really good. Even though it's a low model count, they're pretty durable and the command traits, artefacts, and terrain really buff them up.

21. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

It says all models in a unit are considered seperate units. So no, you don't get an large unit bonuses. This along with no resurrection allowed makes almost every ability on the zombie warscroll not work.

It also means that units like pink horrors are all individually wizards since they are all individual units. But the rule of 1 means that only 3 of them can attempt to cast a spell anyway.

Amusing that we went from must have a magic user with lore of vampires in an army called Vampire Counts in 8e to not even having the option to field a vampire lord.

22. Unas the slayer

The lack of bonuses will work also for other armies... but most of the times we talk of units composed by at least 20 models, kinda difficult in skirmish.
    Another downside for us, is that we have units that work poorly against single models.
    A banshee will score no more than one kill for each scream.
    Cairn Wraith won't get any reroll of to hit.

At least, it's easier for hexwraiths to fly through more models !

(As you can easily guess, i'm planning to play a nighthaunt warband :perv:)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  23. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

No bonuses is really lame because we can't heal models. Banners still work for everyone for all models of the same warscroll within 6". All of our banners just happen to raise models back, which makes them useless. The only one that's not useless is the wight king's. I'm running a Skirmish campaign event in August and I'm allowing units to keep their benefits for having a certain number of models as long as the minimum number required to get the bonus are on the battlefield. It shouldn't really matter as the starting warband size is only 25 and it would be easy to get them below the threshold. I played a game where I only had a ghoul king, a crypt horror, and a crypt ghoul. My opponent had a skaven pestilens wizard and 16 rats. I only lost the ghoul and tabled him in turn 3. The healing ability on horrors means that each model heals a wound now, so that really helps.

I hadn't thought about the hexwraiths; that makes them a lot better than normal.

Oppenheimer likes this.
  24. Unas the slayer

To be fair, also other armies will find their banners useless.
    Seraphons' banners add 1 to battleshock tests of enemy's units.
    Empire's banners let their models stand on a roll of 1 on battleshock test, dwarfs' ones halve the number of fleeing models, and so on.
    In skirmish, a lot of banners are underpowered or useless.

At least, Death battletrait still works. Order cannot say the same...

Regarding the wizard part, I think that Master of Black arts will become a useful command trait. A necromancer costs 22 (which is a lot), while (for example) I can field a nighthaunt warband with a banshee (16) that can cast spells, giving a save 3+ unmodifiable.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  25. Irisado

Irisado Ancient Vampire Lord Staff Member True Blood

It looks potentially interesting, but not enough to persuade me to buy it. It's seems like a reworked version of Mordheim to a certain extent. I just cannot get into the narrative side of Age of Sigmar. None of it is a patch on the Old World.