1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tom-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Alabaster battle reports

Discussion in 'Memento Mori' started by Alabaster427, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

Since I'm starting to participate pretty regularly in tournaments, I figure having one thread is better than flooding this subforum with a bunch of posts. So here we go.

1500 point tournament using the test points for GHB 2 (it only affects me as the only Death player and there aren't any Fyrelslayer players).

My list: "No horde outnumbers the dead."
    Vampire Lord
    -general; Ruler of the Night
    Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist
    -Cursed Book
    Crypt Ghast Courtier
    Corpse Cart
    -Unholy Lodestone
    Zombies x50
    Ghouls x30
    Ghouls x20
    Total: 1500 points

The first match is Take & Hold. I'm playing against Ironjawz (this is pretty much the best case scenario)

Opponent list:
    Gor-drak on Maw Krusha
    -general
    Shaman
    Warboss
    Brute squad x5
    Brute Squad x5
    Ardboys x10
    Warscroll battalion
    Total: 1500 points

I win the initiative for deployment, and deploy as pictured below. I deployed the smaller ghouls to the right first and the larger ghouls in the center, planning to put the zombies on the right. I realize that's a mistake before it's too late and put the zombies directly behind the ghouls. My opponent gives me first turn (one of the few times, I'm happy to have it). I fail Unholy Vitality, but Mystic Shield and Blood Feast to the larger ghouls. I move the ghouls up enough to allow the terrorgheist to move right behind them to counter the Maw Krusha (MK) and the zombies to keep enemies away from the objective.

IMAG0514.jpg
    His warscroll battalion gives most of his stuff 2d6" free move in the hero phase. Not good. His MK gets 6". He gives +1 attack for all weapons to the MK (also not good). He doesn't have anything in range for shooting. The Ardboys stay back and hold the objectives. One unit of brutes successfully charge the smaller ghouls. The MK and other brutes successfully charge the larger ghouls. I lose 4 ghouls to the MK charge. He then decides to attack first with the brutes (very good). I lose two more models, but it's not enough to get the MK out of combat. But my pile-in is. I swing back with the ghouls first and get just far enough away form the MK. I kill 3 brutes. He kills seven ghouls on the smaller unit and I wound one in return. The GK wiffs it.
    IMAG0515.jpg

My models are positioned so that if he charges, he either has to charge the ghouls or the corpse cart. He gets initiative on turn two and moves his MK towards the middle. He gives the MK an extra d6 on the charge and +6" charge range. He also gives it something that gives it +2 attacks for everything (wtf is this shenanigans?) He fails Mystic Shield and moves the shaman and warboss to the center terrain piece. He moves the MK as close the ghouls as he can and towards the center. He shoots at the GK but I save all. He decides to charge and rolls a 13. Just enough to miraculously go all the way around the ghouls and get in contact with the GK. He gets 2 of his 8 impact hits and I save both. I'm starting to regret not buffing my GK at all. He at least has the cursed book. He doesn't make the mistake of not attacking with the MK first a second time. He deals a lot of wounds, I don't remember how many, but in the end it equated to 25 saves after armor. Es no bueno. Somehow, I save 12. That leaves the GK with only one wound! at the top of turn 2. I go with the ghouls first to kill the brutes and keep them from potentially attacking. About ten ghouls get to attack the MK and deal 5 wounds. His other brutes go next and kill 2 more ghouls. My Crypt ghast is in range and I pile in and kill a wounded brute, giving the smaller ghouls an extra attack. My GK deals 2 wounds to the MK... The smaller ghouls kill 2 brutes. The zombies are in pile in range of the MK, but it's only a few models that do nothing. I'm good on battle shock. Both of his remaining brutes flee (Great luck for me!)

On my turn 2, I heal 2 wounds on the GK. Th Ghast brings back 5 and I put them all in the smaller unit (now down 4 ghouls) I give the zombies +1 attack and cast spirit blight on the MK but he unbinds with the shaman. I fail Unholy Vitality again, even with the +1. Being a Death player, I know no shame. The GK flees... I mean, he advances to the rear... I move the smaller ghouls directly forward passed the MK, ignoring it. I want that objective. The Ghast follows. I consider also retreating the zombies for a later charge, but if he kills all of the ghouls with the MK, then he would be able to charge the TG if he gets the double turn. Es no bueno. So I pile in with the ghouls first. I get 2-3 more wounds through (he's at 9 taken now). He kills A LOT of ghouls (like all but three after battleshock) I pile in with more zombies and get 2 more through.

On turn three,he gets initiative. He does the +1 to hit and casts mystic shield on the MK. I unbind mystic shield. He tries to to "flee" by using his free 6" move in the hero phase to avoid the penalty, making it possible to charge the GK again. We decide that because it's "as in the movement phase" it would count as a regular flee and he would lose all other actions that turn, so he decides not to. He shoots at the TG and misses. He charges his shaman into the few remaining ghouls. The MK easily kills the remaining ghouls, but he put all of the weaker attacks into the zombies because they had no save. He killed 4. The zombies are now pretty well in range and I get about 20 in range to attack, so 40 attacks. They devour the MK like those giant ants in Indiana Jones 4. To add insult to injury, the MK turns into a zombie... He wants to call it there and add up points, but that would only give me a minor victory. He's not mad, just practical. I ask if we would give me the major victory, and he says no, so we play on.
    IMAG0516.jpg
    On my turn, I raise the exact number of ghouls I need to get them back to 20. They aren't in range of the vampire though. I finally get Unholy Vitality off on the ghouls. I shoot an arcane bolt at the shaman, but only wound and he has 4+ save against it. I charge the shaman with the zombies and the corpse cart (note: the corpse cart is garbage in combat; it should NEVER be used in combat, but I needed it in range of the GK to give the +1 to cast). The TG screams, but he's still too weak to drown out the waagh. The ghouls need a 9 to charge the Ardboys and that's exactly what I roll. They are barely in range of the GK. I kill 4... He deals 7 wounds back with no rend. I roll 7 dice and get 4 sixes. I roll three dice for UV and save 2 more. I roll one dice for Deathless Minions and save the last. Now he IS mad. To make matters worse, two of the Ardboys flee. He deals no wounds with the shaman, then just pulls it off the table so I don't have to roll a bunch of dice.

IMAG0517.jpg

Turn 4. He gets initiative. He moves the warboss to charge the ghouls. It ends up that I'm 2 ghouls down and he's down 2 more Ardboys (2 left). I heal the GK again on my turn and move up the TG and Ghast. I charge in with both and the GK wiffs it again. The ghouls kill the warboss, but no Ardboys.

Turn 5 goes to him again. He kills a few ghouls. I kill nothing. On my turn, I roll 5 1s to bring back ghouls.... So the GK shoots an arcane bolt and kills one ardboy. The ghouls finish the last one.

Major Victory for Death, with the points being 1500-300. After talking, it turns out it's his first game as Ironjawz and only his third game of AOS. He did rather well, I think.

Round 2. Gifts from the Heavens.

I get paired against a club mate. He's playing a super nasty Chaos list.

His list:
    Demon Prince, khorne
    -General
    -+1 to hit artefact
    Bloodsecrator
    Bloodsecrator
    Sayl the Friendless (because if you play Sayl, you have no friends)
    10 warriors, khorne
    10 warriors, khorne
    20 bloodletters, khorne
    3 stormfiends
    Warpfire thrower
    Total: 1480 points, he rolls reroll to wound on triumph table

I'm not going to go in to much detail because I made some really costly mistakes and rolled a lot of bad dice. The first mistake was that I thought we were measuring from the center of the objective, which landed on my left, but it turns out we were measuring from the edge of the marker. This allowed him to get his warriors within 6" of it and deny me points. He protected their flank with the demon prince. Unfortunately, his objective rolled in the center, where he had both bloodsecrators, Sayl, bloodletters, warriors, and a warpfire thrower protecting it. The second mistake I made was that when I piled in with my unbuffed ghouls, I wasn't paying attention and it brought the demon prince into combat, which cost me 11 ghouls before battle shock and 7 more after from the larger unit. I then charged the second unit of ghouls, my vampire lord, and the GK to the warriors and demon prince holding my objective. I got the DP down to one wound remaining and failed to kill a single warrior. He then flew in his stormfiends and promptly killed the GK (at least the DP went down with it. I was already down 700 points with no legitimate way of both reclaiming my objective and contesting his. We play for points because its ITC and he's still undefeated this season. I end up taking down the rest of the warriors on my objective, 13 bloodletters, the DP, and a stormfiend. I'm left with only my vampire lord and the corpse cart.
    IMAG0518.jpg IMAG0519.jpg
    Major loss for Death VP=19-2; BP=1280-460.

Round 3. Escalation.

There's a Beastclaws player, and if there's any scenario I can beat him on, it's this one. Alas, I'm playing stormcast. But that's ok because I haven't played them since they first came out.

We didn't really look at lists since neither of us could win overall. I also forgot pictures.
    From what I remember,

Lord Castellant
    Dracoth character
    Dracoth character
    Warpriest?
    5 Prosecutors
    5 archers
    5 archers
    5 liberators
    3 javelin throwers
    3 crossbow snipers
    Total 1500 points.

Because of the peculiar deployment, I start out with a major advantage. MY GK is 24" back, but he's faster than the rest of my army. I deploy my zombies (9") and corpse cart (18") as close to the left objective as possible. The smaller ghouls are running center. The larger ghouls are running left. I figure I can just sit on the two outside objectives without any fear of losing them. I mean, both of these units outnumber his whole army and he brought a monster slayer list (I asked and he said that his only goal for this tournament was to beat the double frost phoenix list because that list tabled him in the last tournament; luckily he got paired with that list in round one and beat him! He said he had no idea how his list would do against other armies, but he didn't much care.)

Anyways, he deploys everything but the javelins and the snipers in the direct center. The javelins and snipers were lined up against the zombies. I buffed the crap out of my center ghouls (Unholy Vitality, Blood Feast, Mystic Shield). I charged his liberators and killed all but one, which fled from battleshock. The next turn, I charged the first unit of archers with the ghouls and one of his dracoth riders with the GK. The GK decided to make up for his past failings and dealt 12 mortal wounds. The second Dracoth was able to pile in. I killed the archers. He counter charged the GK with the prosecutors and the warpriest. They cumulatively dealt enough to kill the GK, but he still got to attack and dealt 6 mortal wounds to the other Dracoth rider and the splosion killed it off. He killed the corpse cart with shooting. It turns out that it's nearly impossible to kill stormcast characters without mortal wounds and I just happened to deal 19 mortal wounds to two of them...

I maintained all 3 objectives for the first 3 scoring turns, and after the center ghouls finally died off, I had no desire to move any of my units. He was down a lot and had no desire to get into combat with another 80+ models to his ~10. So we both stayed still for turn 4-5.

Major victory for Death VP=12-0; BP=840-680

The only change I might have made is trying to fit a Wight King with a banner in there. It would have made everything a little bit more survivable.

***The battery on my phone is dead, so will upload pics later.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Aranei and Unas the slayer like this.
  2. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

Love it! xD
    I also like the idea of a single thread.

Some fun match! Do you plan to post picture of the first two games? Especially the first one would be interesting.

3. Alabaster427

pics added

4. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

Those terrains are amazing!!!

5. Alabaster427

Yeah the store owner is a master painter who has been featured in White Dwarf a few times. The lava one is a pain to play on though.

6. Alabaster427

2000 POINT TOURNAMENT

I forgot to take pics in the first round, but after that, I was pretty bummed, so I didn't bother taking any for the others.

My list:
    Settra
    -general
    Tomb King/Chariot
    -Tomb Blade
    Tomb Herald
    -Cursed Book
    4x3 chariots
    Mourngul
    Screaming Skull Catapult

Round 1 Blood and Glory

I face off against a Tzeentch/Skaven combo:

Tzeentch lord (Big Bird)
    Thanquol on Boneripper
    Verminlord
    10 Pink Horrors
    10x3 rats
    3 Stormfiends
    Hellcannon

I finish deployment first and deploy kind of receded to avoid spells. My opponent goes first and only gets one attack spell off on the mourngul. 9 mortal wounds which I save 5. He moves his army forward. On my turn, I give both commands and pray on a unit of chariots, giving them a 20" move and fly. I move them up to attack the left objective in his territory which only has two units of rats on it. I move all of the other units 10" forward. I shoot the catapult at the rats and kill 4. I forgot to shoot with the chariots. :( I charged the flying chariots into the first rats and kill them all. Another unit of chariots on the right flank gets an 11" charge and I can make it to the rats on the objective that are backed up by three stormfiends. I kill all of the rats there also.

Round 2. I get the double turn. I pray on a second unit of chariots to fly them over some terrain that's in the way. I issue both commands again and there's nobody to resurrect. Everybody moves up. I remember all of my shooting this time and I shoot with the catapult last at Thanquol, which is 7" away from an objective. I charge the mourngul into Thanquol who is now Bravery 5. I charge all of the chariots. The far left go to the rats on the objective. The middle left go into the Tzeentch lord and pink horrors, getting 3 mortal wounds on each. The middle right go into the vermin lord (no mortal wounds). The far right go into the stormfiends. Settra and the Tomb King fail charges :( The chariots on the outskirts wipe out the rats and two stromfiends. The mourngul takes out 2 pink horrors and deals 8 wounds to Thanquol (shoulda directed all of my attacks at him but wanted to heal the mourngul and wasn't sure I could kill Thanquol outright). I also forgot about the extra attacks that generate on 5+... I get the Tzeentch lord down to 6 wounds and the verminlord down to three. I now control all four objectives.

His turn, he focuses everything on the mourngul and Settra but not killing either and doesn't reclaim any objectives.

MAJOR VICTORY for Death...

At least that's what would have happened if I had understood the rules properly.

Round three. He gets the double turn. He refocuses everything on the mourngul and Settra killing both and the Tomb Herald. He also kills a unit of chariots, reclaiming one objective.

During his turn, I discover that I would have had the major victory based on the way the victory condition is worded, though it rarely matters. It reads "A player can claim a major victory if, at the start of the third battle round if they control all four objectives." I controlled all four at the end of the second battle round which is also the start of the third battle round. I had originally thought that you could only claim a victory at the end of third round. I ask the TO about it and he confirms that you can claim a major victory at the end of round two, but since we had already started the third round, we'd have to finish it. :( :( :(

I try not to be a sourpuss about it but fail. I have one chance to reclaim my victory. There's a Tzeentch lord sitting alone on an objective and I maintain the other three, but don't have much mobility. I charge my Tomb King into the giant bird. I deal no mortal wounds on the charge. I have six attacks hitting and wounding on 3 with a -1 rend and D3 damage. The bird only has six wounds remaining and a 3+ save. I roll to hit and get five 2s... I also roll a two on to wound The horses also do nothing...

My opponent gets a minor victory.

Round 2 Border War

I get a bye and have to play the TO (not awkward at all)

He has a 100% shooty Stormcast list. I'm guaranteed the minor victory with a chance for a major victory.

I decide to go first. I only get one unit of chariots into combat, but I lock up four units in the process. Everything moves up and there's a giant terrain piece in the middle that I have to go over and around. I fail most shooting but get 5 points. On his turn, he teleports 3 units out of the combat and onto my board edge. He has two hornblowers that deal a ton of damage to Settra, the herald, two units of chariots, and the Tomb King. He then charges all of those units to lock them in the terrain for his horn blowers (and also denying me any charges). At the end of round three, I am a point behind with only the catapult left in an reachable area.

Minor victory for Death...

Round 3. Gifts from the Heavens

I'm playing Stormcast again but its not nearly as shooty. Still shooty but only like 60% but I'm unfamiliar with the units. I have less points so I get 1 reroll to hit, which I forget about.

Neither of us were really in the game, but I managed to deny him a score for one turn and get two points on my turn three by sweeping a mourngul and two units of chariots around his weak right flank (3 snipers, 3 angels, 5 melee guys with two starsoul maces). If he reacted to the outflanking with his heavy hitters, he would have opened himself up to a charge from Settra and the Tomb King, who would both be in cover. My objective was on the far right with a unit of chariots on in cover. I scored a major victory at the end of round five with only one unit of chariots and the catapult still on the board. He still had 1000 points but they were too far away to claim my objective.

Major victory for Death.

As I said, the loss of the first round really bummed me out. I was glad that I didn't really have to worry about interacting with the TO because he spent a lot of time making rulings, which allowed me some time to quit being all mopey for round 3, though I still wasn't over it.

7. Alabaster427

NEW BATREP: Teaching Archaon some manners.

This was just a fun game (not matched play). There are several new players at my LGS and one of them bought Archaon. Since then, he's systematically gone around to all of the other noobs and pinned them with Archaon. Then he started talking trash to me about Nagash and I couldn't let that fly. So I challenged him Nagash vs. Archaon. He accepted but complained that he would be down 200 points. So we decided to do 1200 points.

His list:
    Archaon the Neverchosen
    Tzeentch sorcerer on disc
    3 Varanguard

My list:
    Nagash
    Zombie Dragon (FE)

He deploys ev rethink at the 12" mark. I deploy Nagash at my table edge with the dragon directly in front of him. I choose to go second.

He does mystic shield but fails. He moves everything forward the max distance.

On my turn, I use Lord of Death, cast mystic shield on Nagash, Arcane bolt on the Varanguard and get 2 wounds, and soul stealer on the sorcerer and get 3 wounds on him. I charge the dragon but can't reach anyone without bringing in Archaon, so I stay put. Nagash charges the Varanguard. I shoot at Archaon but do no damage with either the dragon or Nagash. Nagash kills two Varanguard and leaves one with 3 wounds left.

Turn 2. I get the double turn.
    I cast mystic shield and it gets unbound. I cast arcane bolt on the sorcerer and kill it. I cast hand of dust on the remaining Varanguard but he selects the dice hand and lives. I also cast soul steamer but fail to wound him. I really don't want to get charged by Archaon so Nagash retreats. The dragon shoots at Archaon but misses. I charge the dragon and get 11 inches!! I fly over a terrain statue to the other side of Archaon, placing him between Nagash.
    I'm just outside three inches of Archaon but I fail to kill the Varanguard. The good news is that it's nearly as impossible for Archaon to charge Nagash.

Archaon gets unbound for both spells so charges the zombie dragon. Archaon swings first and slayer of Kings does not slay. Out of all of the attacks, Archaon caused 20 wounds and the dragon saved ALL of them. The dragon gets two wounds on Archaon. The Varanguard then got 6 wounds through...
    The zombie dragon lives to see another turn and my plan has succeeded.
    IMAG0631_1.jpg

Turn three. I win the roll off before t I decide to second to potentially get another double turn later.

I unbind Archaon and he gets some wounds through on the dragon but not enough to kill him. The zombie dragon gets 6 through on Archaon. The Varanguard kills the dragon.

My turn. I use Lord of Death. I cast mystic shield but roll low and get unbound. I cast soul stealer and arcane bolt on Archaon but he negates one and takes one mortal wound from the other. I'm too far away for Gaze and I need the Varanguard alive for my charge. I roll just enough to get 4 inches away from Archaon but succeed to the Varanguard. I use my pile in to get to Archaon. I put the spirits into the Varanguard and the rest into Archaon. The Varanguard falls and Archaon takes 8 more wounds. Nagash takes some minor damage.

IMAG0632_1.jpg

Turn 4 it's just the two Titans now. I win the roll off and take the double turn. I use Lord of Death and all my spells. Mystic shield goes off and he unbind arcane bolt. Soul stealer does nothing and he selects the dice hand again for hand of dust. I shoot at him but he saves. I start with his attacks and Archaon immediately falls to Alakanash's rend -3 and I roll 6 damage.

All of the noobs cheer that Archaon is not so almighty and they all would now like to challenge him again. Nobody wants to fight Nagash :(

Last edited: May 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM
  8. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

LOL. xD

That was really an unusual and fun match, and it's always nice to see Archaon killed. And not even by the hand of dust!