1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tom-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

An AoS tournament

Discussion in 'Memento Mori' started by Unas the slayer, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

They already updated the points in the app, but not the FAQ. Fyreslayers and I think one other had points updates also.

2. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

It only remains one third of the campaign to be played, we are not going to change on the run

3. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

With my successful invasion of the Beastclaw land, now i see a new set of potential opponents.

In this last turn played at 1500 pts, I'm going to invade a territory controlled by Beastmen, while the Beastclaw will try to take back the one they losed to me.

BATTLE n. 8 - TK VS BEASTMEN

Beastmen, sprinkled with true chaos (2 skullcannons).
    My swift attack takes totally unprepared those hideous beasts, and wipes them from the batlefield!

(read: my opponent couldn't play, and forfeit the match)

TK score an uncontested, but also unsatisfying victory. o_o

4. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

Beastclaw riders want to take back the territory I've won in the 6th battle, and attack me...

BATTLE n. 9 - TK VS BEASTCLAW RIDERS

Tomb Kings

Royal warsphinx (General, master of Black Arts)
    Liche Priest
    Necrotect
    6 Necro Knights
    5 Horsemen
    5 Horsemen
    10 Skeletons
    30 Archers

(NOTE: given that we play in a realm where you can place additional wyldwood forests during the game, i choosed to pick the artefact that let me teleport one unit from a forest to another. I need just one addtional forest to make it work, but in five turns, it will never happen.)

Beastclaw

Frostlord on Stonehorn (general)
    1 x Thundertusk
    1 x 2 Mournfang
    1 x 4 Mournfang
    1 x 4 Frost Sabres

Scenario: Blood and Glory

I must have a sort of Subscription for this one...

Set-up

From my left to my right: I place a horsemen unit and the Sk. warriors (near the left objective), the Royal Warkitty, the archers with the necrotect at the center, then the NK, the priest and the other Sk horsemen on the right .

My opponent places (from my left to my right): the 4 mournfang and the tigers near his objective, the Frostlord at the center, then the thundertusk and the 2 mournfang on the other objective.

[​IMG]

FIRST TURN:
    Beastclaw: my opponent decides to start. Rolling on the winds of his Allegiance, he obtains to re-roll all the 1s for saves. He advance with the Thundertusk (keeping a safe distance from the archers), and run at the center with the Frostlord; the Lord needs a 9 to charge, but fails.

Tomb Kings.
    I must immediately take hard decisions.
    The frostlord is in a perfect position: I can hit it with ALL the intact power of my army, shooting, snakes with righteous smiting and even the sphinx.
    It has a save 2+ in CC and 3+ on shooting, so it will save on 3+ against my archers and 3+ agains my melee. Re-rolling all 1s.
    Basically, it means that it will only take one sixth of the wounds I'm going to deliver. Halving them.

In a single turn it's not possible to do the Killing, maybe if I win a double turn, but at this point, I could win anyway with my other tactic.

So, I ignore the Lord and move my troops:
    The NK and the LP goes to the right, threatening a secure charge against the Thundertusk and the mournfang.
    The King, the horsemen, the warriors, the archers and the necrotect move to the left, I want to go en masse toward those 4 mournfangs.
    The tigers will be wiped away by the archers: 22 of them are in range to shoot, so it's 44 arrows.
    Only 6 of them wound (!), well under the average, the frost sabres roll 2 sixies, and only 2 dies, rolling a 1 on battleshock. Apparently, I picked the worse company of archers in all khemri...

[​IMG]

SECOND TURN:

If I win the roll, I could basically end the game.
    Obviously, Beastclaw go first...

The frost sabres advance a little.
    The cursed thundertusk kills my Liche Priest with the ranged mortal wounds.
    The frostlord charges the necrotect and also the archers (it's base is huge), the necrotect is killed by the d6 mortal wounds for the charge (rolled a 6), then all the attacks goes on the archers, and wipes them all away!
    (for the note, I've rolled 25 saves for the Death trait, and I rolled only one 1. For the necrotect. :angry: )

Cool...
    my turn. Let's see if we can gain some ground

Left wing: I use the warriors as a running screen, placing them within my king and the frostlord. I roll a 2 to cast arcane bolt, then I roll poorly (1) for the run of the horsemen, so i decide to use them against the tigers; the warsphinx moves, fiery roar on the mournfang (failed); there's a passage to go against the mournfangs, I'd need a 8 to charge the 'fangs, but i roll a six, so also the sphinx goes against the tigers. What an overkill...

Right wing: I've lost the buffs of the LP for the Necroknights, but i charge nonetheless, with the support of the command ability of my far king. I must divide the attacks; 3 snakes on the thundertusk, 3 snakes on the 2 mournfangs.
    The thundertusk is only wounded... the tusks, against the 5 successful "to wounds" of the fangs, roll four 6s, inflicting 4 mortal wounds to my snakes, and then another one when they fight back, killing one snake.

[​IMG]

This game is going really well...
    Will it goes better in the following turns, or my bad luck will continue?
    the third turn is here, and winning the roll could be decisive...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

My numerical advantage is still solid and I'm near all the objectives: if I win the roll, I should almost certainly win also the battle.
    But again, Beastclaw go first...

THIRD TURN:

Beastclaw riders:
    On the left, the mournfangs charge and kill my horsemen. The Sphinx is drawn into combat and kills a single fang.

On the right, the Frostlord charges on the rear my snakes (taking also the objective in the part of my battlefield): the impact is devastating and i roll saves under average. 3 Necroknights are slaughtered.
    Only 2 remain and it's my turn to counterattack: if I manage to kill both the Thundertusk and the last mournfang would be excellent, but only the thundertusk goes down, the fang stands with still 1 wound.

[​IMG]

Tomb Kings:
    My possibilities are now limited.

on the left, my King kills a mournfang and wounds another one; sk. warriors run forward, to add their number in the fourth incoming turn.

On the right, i raise a Snake: with three stuck in combat with the mournfang and the Stonehorn, I kill the last fang, and then (for once) i somehow resist the Frostlord that fights back, losing only one snake (but with another one taken down to 1 wound)

FOURTH TURN:

I win the roll, but I don't have the same good conditions there were before. Let's try to do something...

Right wing:
    I raise a NK, retreat from combat and take the objective.
    the horsemen run back, and I manage to place 2 of them within 6" within the objective that was taken by the Frostlord.
    Now, I'm controlling 3 objectives.

[​IMG]

Left wing:
    The warriors run... but rolling just a 3, only one skeleton is within 6" from the fourth and last objective.
    My King need to slay the two mournfangs to win the battle (with a major victory, nonetheless)

[​IMG]

...a good shot with Arcane Bolt (3 damage) it's a good start, but 2 saves at 6 made against the king's blade means that a Mournfang still stands, with 2 wound. I don't control the objective. <_<

In their turn, the frostlord slays the horsemen, taking back the objective.
    We'll play the last turn for a minor victory.

FIFTH TURN:

I go first.

My king kills the last mournfang, i raise a fourth snake, but I cannot evade the Frostlord's charge.
    Now, I'm controlling 3 objectives, I need to resist the incoming attack

Beastclaw:

The frostlord charges my snakes: one got only one wound, so i can afford to take 15 wounds, to keep one snake alive and mantain control of the objective.

[​IMG]

In close combat I save at 3+... and I manage to suffer 17 wounds.

The snakes are wiped away, I control 2 objectives, my opponent controls 2 objectives.

I still have 420 points on the battlefield, my opponent got 460.

for 40 pts, MINOR VICTORY for Beastclaw Riders.

what a game...

6. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

We are going to start the last turn of battles, with 2000 pts armies.

My score, up 'til now:

battle n. 1: TK vs Dwarfs (dwarfs' minor victory)
    battle n. 2: TK vs Dwarfs (TK major victory)
    battle n. 3: TK vs Stormcast (TK major victory)
    battle n. 4: TK vs Stormcast (TK minor victory)
    battle n. 5: TK vs Stormcast (Stormcast victory - forfeited match)
    battle n. 6: TK vs Beastclaw riders (TK major victory)
    battle n. 7: TK vs Daemons of Khorne (TK major victory)
    battle n. 8: TK vs Beastmen (TK victory - forfeited match)
    battle n. 9: TK vs Beastclaw riders (Beastclaw minor victory)

7. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

The tournament enters the final phase, 2000 pts.

At the moment, I could attack 5 opponents:
    Beastclaw riders, Beastmen, Deamons of Khorne, Stormcast, Flesh eater courts.

When it's my turn to decide, the first 3 were already attacked, so I'm forced to pick one between stormcast and FEC (which includes also 2 mournguls)

Even if I would like to fight a different army, I decide to avoid fec: they are ahead of me in number of territories, while Stormcast have the same number as me, so it makes more sense to face my direct rival and take him down.

Curiously, Stormcast reasons in the same way, and declares that he's gonna attack me, so for this round i'll have (again) 2 battles against SE.

TENTH BATTLE - TK VS STORMCAST ETERNALS

Tomb Kings

Royal warsphinx (General, master of Black Arts)
    Liche Priest
    Necrotect
    6 Necro Knights
    5 Horsemen
    10 Skeletons warriors
    10 Skeleton warriors
    30 Archers
    10 archers
    15 Tomb Guards

Battalion: Tomb Legion

Stormcast "Infantry Supremacy"

Lord Celestant (general, master of defence, can cast Shield of Thorns)
    2 x Lord Vexillor (the old version, that can teleport units at 3" from the enemy)
    1 x Lord Relictor (? the priest that can pray for magic effects)
    15 x Retributors
    5 x Decimators
    5 x Decimators
    5 x Liberators
    5 x Liberators
    5 x Liberators

Scenario: escalation

this time, we use the updated rules for the scenario: you place all the units at the beginning, but they must be set at different distances from the enemy's territory: 9" for battlelines, 24" for behemoths and warmachines, 18" for all the rest.

Set-up

Stormcast start placing their units in the heavens, giving me no clues.
    At that point, I've decided my tactic: i will go "en masse" on 2 objectives, gaining the victory points and keeping them, while I will totally ignore the third objective. So, I will play aggressively at the beginning and defensive later.

To do this, i decide to set-up my whole battalion in a single placement, thus gaining the right to decide who will go first.

In the end the set-up is this:

a unit of warriors ready to advance toward the objective on the corner, flanked by the other warriors' unit, then the mass of the army: 30 archers, TG, LP, necrotect and SSC, on the right the king, the NK and the SK knights.

My opponent places the 3 units of liberators and one of the decimators in the heaven, the other units and heroes are at the border of the table, mostly hidden behind the buildings.

[​IMG]

I decide to let the SE go first: in this moment, I know he's not going to waste the retributors in a first strike, and its main force is in the heaven, they would descend in the move phase (thus not targettable by effects in the hero phase) and must be placed at 9" from my units, so they'll be almost useless in the first turn.
    I, on the contrary, can see my opponent's moves and could also win a double turn...

8. Alabaster427

Are you gonna finish this batrep?

9. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

Absolutely yes, but yesterday I ran out of time... :redface:

Here you are!

The battle

FIRST TURN:

Stormcast:
    SE drop successfully 3 units: one unit of liberators goes (as expected) near the objective on the corner of my right, the one that i am ignoring.
    A unit of Liberators and a unit of Decimators land near the objective on my left, my opponent knows he must contend it to me, and places his 10 models almost perfectly hidden behind the ruined building.

Tomb Kings.

My king can see a model of the decimators' unit, so I use my command ability upon them, necrotect's buff and righteous smiting on archers.
    my skeleton warriors advance, as the snakes and the horsemen.
    SSC moves toward the left, and the 30 archers run for a grand total move of 12":

[​IMG]

I've got 22 models within my 26" shooting range and with los on the decimators. I shoot at them, and also with the catapult, dealing enough damage to kill the 5 decimators before battleshock.

SECOND TURN:

i win the roll.

Tomb Kings:
    easy. i secure the central objective and the left one. Archers kill 3 on 5 liberators near the left objective, SSC hits twice, the liberators save but flee for battleshock. no enemy remains in that corner, and I take 2 points.
    I fail to give mystic shield to the snakes.

Stormcast.
    my opponent goes on a all-out push.
    the remaining liberator unit from the heaven land at 9" from my right flank, a vexillor teleports the 15 retributors all around my snakes (they also have shield of thorns cast upon them), and the other vexillor puts the 5 decimators between my SSC+Necrotect and the TG+LP. Some damage scattered around for the effect of the pennant of stormbringer

[​IMG]

Liberators fail the charge.
    Retributors successfully charge the snakes (which are not buffed by mystic shield) and the 10 archers. 3 snakes killed and one taken down to 1 wound. I manage to kill 3 retributors in return.
    Decimators would like to charge my TG... BUT my opponent knows that his first attack will be made by the retributrs and my TG will attack the decimators before they can act... so he sends the decimators against the Necrotect and the Catapult. The necrotect kills one decimator (!), then i suffer 2 mortal wounds on the crew, 1 wound on the SSC, 1 wound on the necrotect. Good!

SE take 1 victory point for their uncontested objective on my right

[​IMG]

tnx to the effect of Shield of Thorns, also the snake with 1 remaining wound dies, and so the archers.

THIRD TURN:

I need to win the roll to see who'll start, to save my sakes. My opponent rolls a 2! I roll a 1. <_<

Stormcast:
    Retributors finish my snakes.
    Decimators fail to kill the necrotect, that takes just another wound.

another victory point, 2-2

Tomb Kings:
    time to kill.
    Command ability against the retributors, righteous smiting on the 30 archers.
    heavy shooting from the archers and the king upon the retributors... 18 unsaved wounds, 6 models killed.
    Necrotect and SSC disengage.
    THe king charges the retributors, the Guards charge the decimators.
    I attack with TG first, and the decimators are gone.
    The retributors inflicts 5 damage (halved to 3) to my king, then my King attacks, killing another couple of those sigmarines and the last ones flee.

This is a beautifully clean battlefield! ...and i take 2 victory points: 4-2

[​IMG]

FOURTH TURN:

I win the roll.
    I kill from a distance a vexillor and move my guards toward the liberators on the right (that could still charge my SSC).

SE: my opponent knows cannot win, so he moves in a safe position the general, to avoid him being killed (it would cost him the artefact).

FIFTH TURN

Nothing happens, victory points 8-4 for me.

MAJOR VICTORY. :D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  10. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

BATTLE n. 11 - TK VS STORMCAST

After the last defeat, fearing my superior tactical skills and battle prowess, the Lord Celestant decided that it was better for their cause, to save their forces for some different opponent.

(my opponent couldn't play, and forfeit the match)

Uncontested victory for TK. Mission accompllished.

11. Alabaster427

I'm glad that you didn't face the Flesh Eaters Player because that means that Death takes up more of the top rankings.

12. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

Yeah, that was my reasoning as well... but it cannot be openly said (you know, sportsmanship ;)).

In the next tournament we'll play with allegiances between armies of the same faction, but in this one we're supposed to be all against each other.

13. Alabaster427

Even if it was a tactical decision, like half of the artefacts don't work against Death units and several abilities apply to Death, so can also buff your opponent. There's plenty of tactical reason to not play another Death player.

14. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

The funny thing, is that (if we take a look at all the armies in our tournament) the veteran advancement of my general (+2 to bravery) can only work against the terrorgheist...

15. Alabaster427

Even then, it's only a max of 2 mortal wounds, which you'd have at least one save against.