1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

An Evil Forest by the Sea.

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by robtion, May 16, 2013.

1. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Another twisted masterpiece :)

2. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@robtion That's a piece of work! Very impressive.

I love that mangey guy riding the tree, and the tree itself is just awesome. Is this homemade or did you buy it somewhere?

3. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I love the mini and the great backstory you cooked up for him :thumbsup: The severed hands, the torso-zombie, it's visible how much heart you put into this creation. As people before said, a masterpiece!

4. Leithel

Leithel Grave Guard

That thing is awesome. You make some of the most amazing conversions in your theme. Well done!

5. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

@Shadespyre Thanks. I'm glad to hear you like it.

@Farmer7574 Thanks. Mangy you say? A rather apt description. Bravo.

The Treeman is from Scibor, same place as the Treeman from my last challenge entry. There are 3 of them(one to go I guess).

@Borgnine Thanks. Glad you like the back story. I find it helps me to put some character into a mini if I come up with a scenario or some history for them. Plus it is fun. Yes, I liked the idea of severed hands crawling all over the tree like some sort of twisted spiders.

@Leithel Thank you. It's a fun creative outlet. I don't get to use much creativity at work so I guess I have plenty stored up for this kind of thing.

6. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

The Bloody Coterie

The conclave of dryads were as old as the trees themselves, their fates forever tied to that of their home. As the corruption crept into the forest they too fell under it’s sway. Seduced by the dark power of the Vampiress ruling over these lands, they pledged their allegiance to her.

Shaving their heads of their magical tresses and covering their delicate features with the corroded masks of fallen foes plucked from the forest floor. Thus they avoided the fate of other fair maidens throughout the domain, invariably killed or disfigured by it’s envious rulers hand. They pleased their new master well and were rewarded with an unnatural thirst for blood, only ever removing their masks at the end of a battle to feed joyously on their vanquished foes.

Imbibing foul concoctions on a daily basis, the toxins infuse their blood and cloud their minds. Intoxicated by their own venom, poison seeping from their wooden talons, they leap shrieking into battle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Borgnine likes this.
  7. Farmer7574

@robtion Those are really cool, seductive and scary at the same time. Are they old metal daemonette conversions? Really fitting for your theme. Great stuff.

8. Borgnine

As I wrote in the competition thread, they are terrific! Such a cool unit and their story is great :)

And a question - what are you using to flock your bases?

9. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

Hey guys a test of some wip picks for my war machine entry using alternative means as photobucket is no longer an option. Just need to paint it now :o
    Bit of background to whet the appetite.

Old Flat Top (Warmachine/Battering Ram)
    ‘Tis common knowledge among the local villagers that not far into the Dark Woods in a deeply shaded glade is the home of Old Flat Top. It lies just far enough into the forest that unwary travellers may catch a glimpse of the the peaceful looking clearing from the road. Dead in the center of the grassy clearing sits the gnarled trunk of a long deceased tree.

Many a weary traveller, some with a dislike of towns and the folk who dwell in them, others too poor or too miserly to pay for a room in the nearby village, have entered the oddly enticing glade with the intent of setting up camp for the night. Still others, lacking common sense or strength of will, are enchanted by the barely audible promises and seductive whispers drifting from the glade, and glimpses of voluptuous silhouettes among the shadows. Alas, none of the weary travellers who enter, merely looking for reprieve from the hardships of the road, or in search of something more debauched, are seen again.

Yet not all meet this fate. Closer inspection by the cautious traveller will reveal a harem of fetching women lounging, sleepy-eyed, like great cats on the outskirts of the glade. The especially wary pilgrim may notice the unnaturally pale tone of their near naked bodies, or the the feral eyes set amongst their beautiful otherworldly features. Those who dare come near enough to observe the abundance of shattered bones peeking from beneath the swaying grass and wildflowers have surely ventured too far.

With the speed of a snake striking it's prey, the remains of the undead treeman burst forth from the center of the glade, the ancient trunk rising high into the air on a sinewy stalk of tangled roots before crashing down on it’s victim like a great hammer amid a shower of soil and debris. The thunderous blow shakes the earth for leagues around, rousing the corrupted dryads from their tranquility. Screeching with glee, the ravenous maidens flock to the pulverised remains, picking the splinters of bone from their perfect white teeth.

In times of war, when the undead forces of the Dark Woods lay siege to an enemy fortress or citadel, Old Flat Top leaves the glade accompanied by his ever present coterie, burrowing his way across the battlefield. An unholy monstrosity, no gate, portcullis, or even wall can withstand the destruction of this sentient battering ram, as it slithers through ranks of terrified enemies, leaving a trail of twisted and crushed ruin in its wake.
    IMG_20170728_144411.jpg
    IMG_20170728_144518.jpg

10. Farmer7574

@robtion Awesome miniature - it has characteristics that I find inspiring for my 'Crypt Horrors' I want to do down the road. What miniature is this?

Looking forward to seeing this one painted up.

11. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

12. Farmer7574

@robtion Cheers for that. You get stuff painted fast! This makes my three weeks for two spirit hosts look like a turtle in a greyhound race.

It's coming along really well, looking forward to seeing the finished mini.

robtion likes this.
  13. Borgnine

You made it all awesome, as usual :) As I mentioned in the voting thread, I just love the creative take on the 'war machine' topic and now, when I looked at the original Scibor's mini, I love how you used it and twisted it into your own version. All the tree-women look also great and make it all much more unsettling.

BTW, good to see you back at the painting table :thumbsup:

robtion likes this.
  14. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

@Farmer7574 Thanks. Yeah I paint fast-ish I guess but it kind of shows :D

@Borgnine Hey, thanks glad you like it. Yeah, good to be back. My intent is to at least get an entry in for each of these comps.
    pixlr.jpg

Just took a bit of a group shot of some of the Evil Forest to see how Old Flat-top fits in.
    IMG_20170815_160227.jpg

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  15. Borgnine

That army shot looks so wonderfully... gnarled :) Awesome stuff!

robtion likes this.
  16. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

My entry complete in record time!
    Had fun making this one with a vampire lord stomping all over her own troops :konrad: She really does detest the use of lowly zombies in her army but alas they are a necessary evil :D

I went with a bit of a head tilt to try and give a puzzled, somewhat confused look on the zombie as he is about to be demolished by some 'friendly fire'.

Title: “Out of my way wretch”!
    Miniature: The Arrogant Countess
    (Varghulf or Mounted Vampire Lord/Abyssal Terror)

Acknowledged at court for her sophistication and discriminating taste, the vampire lord widely known as ‘The Arrogant Countess’ gladly cultivates a reputation for cruelty. A creature of pure narcissism and vanity, in times of war she casts aside her extravagant gowns to reveal a flawless physique, basking in the stares of envy and desire from the vampiric nobility.

Strutting through the undead ranks, she mocks and laughs with unbridled scorn at those cowering behind armour and shield. Her own obvious contempt and lack of fear for the enemy only serves to add credence to her derision. Even the elite Blood Knights are not immune to her disdain, as she sneers that no mere Nightmare is fit to serve as her mount.

Riding into battle atop an undead behemoth she surveys the carnage of the battlefield from an elevated position, unassailable in her own superiority. Having been deemed unworthy to gaze upon it’s mistress, her mount’s eyes have been plucked from it’s head, and it charges into battle swinging wildly and crushing friend and foe alike, much to the delight of it’s spiteful master.
    IMG_20170818_102304.jpg IMG_20170818_102250.jpg IMG_20170818_102134.jpg IMG_20170818_102110.jpg IMG_20170818_102059.jpg

17. Farmer7574

@robtion Awesome use of that LoTR troll in a Warhammer piece. Great diorama for the competition, totally unique and nicely executed as always mate!

robtion likes this.
  18. Sharkbelly

Sharkbelly Wight King

Gruesome!

robtion likes this.
  19. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

@Borgnine: Thanks. I'll get a more comprehensive army shot together at some stage in the future.
    @Farmer7574 Thanks, I always aim for unique where possible :thumbsup:

@Sharkbelly Well, you know...:konrad:

Just thought I'd post the Scibor treemen who I love and then my undead rendition of them all together for interest sake :zombie3:
    tremen_set_01.jpg IMG_20170820_120327.jpg IMG_20170820_120500.jpg