• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Dog Latin translations are a dime a dozen on the internet, but I seem to recall some guys 'round these parts discussing Latin way back in the day. I'm looking for a translation that's gunna actually know how the conjugation is supposed to go down. Your challenge, should you have the sheer grit to accept it, is to translate this phrase for a fellow grown man who plays with toy soldiers:

"Remember (name), our brother."

Who amongst you can flex the most antiquarian? Who amongst you will see where there is no translation and utter, "No."?

P.s. Thanks in advance!

Cela Shyish

Grave Guard
Dec 14, 2012
I thiiiink it would be something alone the lines of "Memoramus (name), Nostrarum Frateri"

Memoro being the verb to remember, with -amus being the plural ending "we" so "we remember (name)" Nostra is the feminine word "our" so being the plural genitive to indication possession of "Frater" which is "brother" but putting it in the single genitive -i meaning "Nostrarum Frateri" should be "our brother"

Don't quote me on this since I haven't looked at latin in like 2 years and only had a shallow dip into it (Which I intend to revisit but never had a good excuse to get practice)

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
@Crystal Ah, nicely done--and it brings to light a fine distinction I failed to make. But should be a quick fix since you've got some chops, it looks like.

Try it with the unspoken (you) "remember (name)" instead of (we).

And thanks for that!

Cela Shyish

Grave Guard
Dec 14, 2012
Well its very hard to make an "unspoken" you in latin as the ending of the verb indicates the nature of its subject.

For example memoro is a first declination verb for "I remember" the act "to remember" is "memorare" but that implies no subject. You would want "memoratis" "You (plural) remember" (unless I'm misunderstanding in which case you'd want "memoras" "you (singular) remember"

Sorry this is so drawn out but I never had much practice so I have to work out each bit to be sure I make no mistakes, plus I may as well write my thought process down to help you understand why each bit is different. ^.^ Hope this helps!

**Edit! Just to be clear this is in present tense! Just in case you wanted it in past or future tense :tongue:

***Edit 2 important! I knew I made a mistake! I used Frater in genitive instead of nomative! Change Frateri to Fraterus and it should be perfect. Just occured to me now while walking home

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam_Barrow

Cela Shyish

Grave Guard
Dec 14, 2012
Sorry again about all my confusion and you're welcome ^.^ Although out of curiosity what did you need it for?

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
That's like my "Voco omnia corpora" asb ;) at last I asked a friend teacher if she could check it with her Latin teacher colleagues for correctness :D Even if no one who has latin skills will see it, I wanted it to be correct just for myself

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
Forgive a pedant for chiming in late, I've been away on a stag weekend, but the original request was for a command 'remember' rather than the statement 'we remember'. This should be translated using the vocative, which I think is 'Memorate', literally 'remember ye'. The word 'nostra/um' is already genitive by nature and it shouldn't be necessary to say 'brother of ours'; 'ye', ie 'you', is the subject of the sentence; 'frater' doesn't decline regularly and in this sentence is the object, not the genitive; therefore 'fratrum nostrum memorate' should be right.

I haven't done Latin for over 12 years so I'll happily accept correction, but I did study at A-level, although I only got a poor grade in the end.

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
In Latin there's no truly enforced order of positioning for the words, but generally it's Subject, Object, Verb. In this sentence 'You' (Te) is the subject but is also contained in the vocative verb ending. The name is the Object, with a descriptive noun 'brother' and the genitive 'our' which all agree; assuming the name is Sextus the sentence would read: 'Sextum, fratrum nostrum, memorate.' Again, please mark my homework before taking my word for it!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu