1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Aranei's AoS Mordheim

Discussion in 'Gateway to the Realms' started by Aranei, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Since the beginning of the AoS 1,5 years ago, attempts have been made to create a ruleset for AoS-based Mordheim. None of them felt play-tested or finished however. This and other issues, some inspiration from Mordheim, AoS Path to Glory and Frostgrave, and a number of my own ideas caused me to make up my own variant of skirmish rules (totally not play-tested, naturally).

My general principles were:
    1) 1-wound models are not for skirmish.
    2) The rules should be as close to AoS Pitched Battles as possible.

The attached files are the rules themselves, the warband list and a co-op sceario I made up.

How do you like it? Playtesters are welcomed, as well as any comments.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. MasterSpark

MasterSpark Nostalgian Staff Member True Blood

I've no playing experience with your rules but I think you should expand the severe injury table to closer reflect the original Mordheim. Fun stuff like captured, sold to the pits, bitter enmity, madness, hardened and horrible scars add so much to the campaign experience.

3. Shadowstep6

Shadowstep6 Zombie

Great job on this, even without any play testing.

How do you handle summoning/reinforcements? Do players set aside "reinforcement points," like in the GHB, or are they simply unable to summon new models to the table?

What about models with special deployment rules? Do they use these rules as normal, or should they standard deploy instead?

4. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

I suppose that special deployment rules should be allowed. Remember that most (if not all) batallions cannot be used in my Mordheim since you can have only non-monster heroes in your warband.
    I would prefer fixing isues that arise as a result of playtesting, not trying to anticipate them. I don't have enough free time to read all the rules for other 3 Grand alliances (naturally, I have read all Death warscrolls thoroughly).
    I am going to fix the issues incrementally. For example, currently I am thinking about fixing the Grey Seer's Vermintide spell. Underpowered in general AoS, it is currently useless in my Mordheim. I'm going to change that!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  5. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

I have edited the original post so it includes the most up-to-date rules.
    While it would be interesting to keep developing my rules, fixing bugs and adding things like the d66 wound chart (like in orignial Mordheim) and more complex warband lists (with rank-and-file models and large creatures), I feel that currently it is not worth it for me since my friends are not interested in playing it. However, I played 1 game and it was fun. Try it yourself, and let me know what you think.