1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Awesome creepy spirit hosts.

Discussion in 'Dying to Help' started by Farmer7574, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

Hi all,

Just been browsing the web and I came across this guys mean paint job on the new spirits. Take a look here:

http://bloodybeast.com/2014/10/spirit-hosts/

This guy has created a beautifully spooky appearance so that the spirits are giving off an unnatural light by reversing layers, it seems. I'm wandering how everyone would achieve this appearance?

I think I'd layer up from...

White > nihilakh or bahharoth blue > Lothern blue > altdorf blue > incubi darkness then maybe even a bit of black.

Let me know how you'd score this appearance and drop this guy a comment, his work is the bomb!

M

EDIT: Lothern blue, not loggers blue (Damn phone auto correct).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Count michael and najo like this.
  2. najo

najo Mortarch of the Dark Soul Staff Member True Blood

Love em! Very cool work. Just spent an hour looking through all their work :tongue:

3. Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre The Duke Staff Member True Blood

That is one sexy model and I love how its been ddone to give a darker feel.
    Honestly though i don't know how they have done it so I may need to try and recreate it myself so as to get a good feel.
    Finally it seesm i have a use for Necron Abyss.

4. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

Anyone managed to recreate that effect please?

5. Melle

Melle Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers True Blood

Id reckon you can follow most tutorial for painting fire, just swapping yellow/reds for blues in a multitude of hues.

Think of the model as blue fire and it might make sense

6. Farmer7574

I love the theory you've suggested here @Melle

There's a cool tutorial with images for painting fire on taleofpainters.

I'll be doing a cairn wraith in these colours within the next 4 or 5 weeks and will post some pics and painting steps when I finish it.

7. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Like other have said, these are painted just like you would do fire, white in the deepest parts, and darker on the outside. Only you use a blue color for that.

I did pretty much the exact same color for my magical flame on my Hierotitan (picture). All you need to use is white, hawk turquoise, and black. Mix the turquoise with white and black for however many layers you want, pretty simple :)

Farmer7574 likes this.
  8. yoroba

yoroba Zombie

They look great. Seeing them I also thought, that one could use Wood Elf Dryads as spirit host. Paint them ghostly and clump them together on monster bases, and they would make great spirit hosts.

9. Farmer7574

@yoroba Awesome idea, haven't seen anyone use dryads as spirit hosts yet!

10. Count michael

Count michael The Undead Sparky

Wow they are awesome xD that bloody beast has some pretty awesome models especially the pumpkin crypt horrors it's also where I got the idea for my palanquin of Nurgle

11. Hellion Nox

Hellion Nox Grave Guard

I do like them aswell. I've seen the Nagash model aswell and it too looks amazing

12. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

Damn, again I missed something great. But early enough to get the scheme for the ME banshees. Thanks for posting!

13. The Sun King

The Sun King Imperator Staff Member True Blood

Aww crap now I have to repaint all my ethreals... :D

14. Farmer7574

@The Sun King These are awesome and tempting to make us repaint our ghosts. The look like they'll come to life and attack!

15. Farmer7574

This March I finally got around to doing a spirit host and have recently completed the other two:

[​IMG]

If anyone's still interested in replicating this scheme you can find a tutorial for them right HERE in my PLOG. @Eyeless

Eyeless likes this.
  16. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

@Farmer7574 Amazing spirits! Unfortunately i have already settled with a theme for mine and i won't repaint them anytime soon :tongue: however i'll still have a look at your tutorial and thanks for the tag. Great work man.