1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Background and Fluff Q & A - Need some help? Ask here!

Discussion in 'Liber Mortis' started by Mr Nightwere, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Count Vashra

Count Vashra Lord of Shadows True Blood

For Crypt Horrors, non-Ghoul Horrors are possible, as the process is called a corruption of the Blood Kiss. As long as the vampire is careful and doesn't drain the recipient's blood, resulting in the siring process. Alternatively it may just be a unique thing due to the physiology of Ghouls and Strigoi, at least the devolved Strigoi (I'm guessing it takes some time, like with Necrarchs, to turn from fanged, sentient undead humans to giant monsters).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. Get of W'soran

Get of W'soran CN's Lord of Masks True Blood TVC II GM

Before I start I just want to say that Warhammer fluff is often intentionally vague, changes so often that it's hard to keep track and generally you can get away with writing whatever you want and "making" it fit into fluff because there is so much room for shuffling around.

Ok! Onto the question. I don't think there would be any problem turning another into a vampire, if you borrow from other (non-warhammer) settings you could perhaps claim that the vampire is too low generation, too far removed from the first of their kind and has blood which is too thin to pass on the Dark Gift (If we assume that the changing of another is in part dependant on the elixer in the vampire's blood that came from that which Nefereta herself created).

Vampires are generally considered immuatable and unchanging (except for degeneration like what happened to the Strigoi or what would happen to a vampire unable to feed for years at a time).

HOWEVER you could play it off as the Vampire going around and consuming the blood of other bloodlines known for certain traits to try and steal their gift (I have done this before). E.g. Hunting down Necrarchs to try and consume their ability for greater magical affinity.

Vampire can not be effected by Chaos though, unlike mortals their souls are cut of from the aethyr.

Perhaps your Vampire Lord tried to introduce controlled mutations into the human before siring them? Increasing their magical potential and then quickly siring them before they can physically or mentally mutate? Obviously he would go through many, many test-subjects before getting it right :D

I'll leave the crypt-horror stuff to Vashra and his post is better informed than I would be on the subject.

Sorry if the post is a little poor, I'm stuck in work.!

3. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Hi all, I have a couple of questions regarding Blood Dragon fluff, I'm sure scolars of the Black Arts such as yourselves can lend a hand...
    I'm very interested in trying to create a timeline for Walach's activities with a view to perhaps one day fleshing it out into a novel; meanwhile I'd love to know of any other characters that were involved with him and their interactions, in particular Mikael, Konrad and Aurora; I understand that Walach had a period in which he carried the Blood Dragon Banner after Mikael's death, and that he led the Blood Knights under Konrad von Carstein against the Dwarfs, but I've seen no mention of it in the Vampire Wars books... maybe I didn't look carefully enough.
    Also does anyone know what the Blood Dragon Banner and the Flag Of Blood Keep are meant to look like? I really hope the Flag isn't that classic Gothic folly on a precipice with a full moon in the background...
    Hope you can help guys, thanks.

4. MasterSpark

MasterSpark Nostalgian Staff Member True Blood

Well...

awww_warseer_com_forums_attachment_php_20f18cf4c8c9a398681f6064061797ff._.jpg

To be frank that is the only way I've ever seen the banner depicted, but I could be wrong.

5. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Agh! Thanks for confirming my fears so rapidly, I just can't get along with the concept... I guess my Flag will be some heraldic stuff, freeing up the battle banner for a nice big dragon...
    So, how about Walach's story in the canon? Except for his tragically poor demise 'story'...

6. Get of W'soran

@Dragonet You could also do a stylised version of this: awhfb.lexicanum.com_mediawiki_images_a_a9_BloodDragonsSymbol.jpg

7. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Nice shout, Get of W'soran, this will probably be the basis for my Blood Dragon Banner- facing left, of course. There's a neat Blood Dragon infantry shield that matches this design as well, but since GW dropped their Mail Order bits service my options are either to buy enough vampire models to match, or to cast my own; I tried lead and baked plaster but it didn't capture enough detail; I dread to think of the time I could waste buying white metal ingots and finer plaster... I'll chuck a photo up when I can.

8. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Ok I found the source for Walach's involvement with Konrad, penultimate army book, they meet in Nuln and in exchange for blood and glory, Konrad gets to hire the best nutcracker in the Warhammer world, pretty good deal on Konrad's end; I imagine keeping Konrad and the Carstein family close would have reciprocal benefits.
    I also got dates for the fall of Blood Keep, but vitally not for Mikael's death and therefore the period in which Walach would have carried the Blood Dragon Banner himself... Any ideas?

9. Get of W'soran

Well it's worth noting that the Konrad had Blood Knights at his side during the Second Vampire War.

In my own "personal background" which I base all my stories on, Vlad secured the Blood Knights via alliance and Konrad simply inherited the soldiers.

There's no reason you can't modify the existing fluff, fill in the pieces and make it work for you.

10. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

I couldn't agree more, that's a nice retcon that adds depth to the relationships and the history of the family ties. Similarly I have quite a dislike for the fluff around all manner of creatures in the Undead Legion so I happily follow suit with many of our fellow generals by switching in altwrnative troop types I find more pleasing.
    The only reason I'm hung up on existing canon is the fact that I went for a selection of named characters, I want to tie my fluff in with everyone else's as much as possible , and these timeline hooks are ideal for that. Further, when I do finally write my own fan fiction I'll rest assured that I don't offend my discerning audience!