1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Background and Fluff Q & A - Need some help? Ask here!

Discussion in 'Liber Mortis' started by Mr Nightwere, Dec 4, 2009.

1. The Raven Lord

The Raven Lord Ghoul

From what I understand about the raising of new Vamps and the Blood kiss in the Warhammer world, the act itself can take many forms, and is pretty much up to the actual Vampire in question. That would suggest that it is the will and intention of the Vampire, coupled with his blood that allows him to make a get. Some new vampires are forced to drink, and some come willingly to Vampirism.

So, I reckon, and I'm sure I read this omewhere, don't have the book to hand, that the new Vampire dies as a mortal quite quickly regardless of the situation. Perhaps if they were staked/ behead/ burnt as a mortal ASAP after they receive the Blood Kiss., this would prevent the change into a Vampire

2. Mello

Mello Hasn't left TVC for the rest of the forum True Blood

Ok, so as long as you have vampires blood in you and die you're a vampire, ok.

But is there any scenario where you can slowly change into one? Maybe a tiny droplet of blood and you're dying a slow death while simultaniously turning vampire?

3. Shareya

Shareya Vampire Count True Blood

Was a vamps breath warm or cold? I know this has been said in most books but I have quite...forgot and too lazy to look it up now!

4. Mello

Cold I imagine, they have no body heat.

5. Get of W'soran

Get of W'soran CN's Lord of Masks True Blood TVC II GM

Cold I would say although they probably dont bother for the most part.

6. Mello

Actually there's a point! Vampires don't breathe anyway :tongue:

7. Shareya

Hey! Some ( Lahmians ) are forced to fake it :(

8. Mello

Fake it sure, but not when they don't really have to :clown:

9. Master Vampire

Master Vampire Master Necromancer True Blood

Here's a question for you:

Does anyone know where I can find the most complete map of the Warhammer World? This means not only/per se in size but in detail as well. Preferably I'm interested to see cities, ruins, holds, fortresses, mountain passes, mountain tops... Basically any geographical important thing to note. Anyone? :)

10. Shareya

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html that...well they use practically the same icons for smaller city's as they do for capitals :( Still if you can suffer through that, it is a insane map!

Moving on:
    http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/warhammer-maps.html
    Personally i love the The Empire : Large, Vector | 6.63 MB .JPG . So many icons to make everything easy for the eyes.

11. Ordo Cruentus

Ordo Cruentus Order amongst the Dead

Those maps are sexy. :perv:

12. Master Vampire

Master Vampire Master Necromancer True Blood

Ok new one! I kind of feel I knew this, but I can't access my own WH related stories to back this up. I've been out of the WH world too long I feel! :redface:

Q: do the Empire's mage college have a particular name? And what is the exact hierarchy and titles in this organizational structure?

13. Lynks

Lynks Lord of RAW Staff Member True Blood

They are all named:

College of the Amber Order (beasts)
    College of the Amethyst Order (Death)
    College of the Bright Order (Fire)
    College of the Celestial Order (Heavens)
    College of the Gold Order (metal)
    College of the Grey Order (shadow)
    College of the Jade Order (life)
    College of the Light Order (light)

The amber order has no buildings in Altdorf though. More info on them here and Here

I'm not sure if there is any standard heirarchy among them, but above all members of the colleges of magic is the supreme patriarch (which is currently balthasar gelt), a title earned by magical duel in which you can only be challenged once every 8 years

14. Ghouly

Ghouly Liche True Blood

well according to Realms of Sorcery the hierarchy goes

Apprentice
    Journeyman
    Magister
    Magister Lord

15. Get of W'soran

Also Master Patriarch as the Leaders of the Order.

So Sayeth Realms of Sorcery.

An awesome read for any lover of the Colleges of Magic.

16. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

From what I can gather, Nagash needs the crown of sorcery before can be fully mobile again. Anyone remember where the crown is at the current time?

17. theknightofjello

theknightofjello Skeleton

I believe it's in Altdorf and in the College of Light. However the college is in a parallel Dimension but it was made to hold all of the scary magical artifacts the Empire gets it's hands on

18. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

That would also tie in quite nicely (with current fluff) why Vlad assaulted Altdorf too. Do you have any sources for it?

19. Lynks

Lynks Lord of RAW Staff Member True Blood

Aparentrly it's in the vaults of the temple of sigmar after the grand theogonist took it from Azhah the slaughterer (the last owner)

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Azhag

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Crown_of_Sorcery

20. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

So what Manfred should do is assault Altdorf instead of capturing Elf Princesses?

21. Corien Sumatris

Corien Sumatris Vampire Count True Blood

Well Manfred needed the elf princess to finish the rebirth of Nagash!

22. Count Calico Jaques

Count Calico Jaques Zombie

would it be possible for a lineage to be in bretonnia not of mousillon? I wish to create a breton based army, as the vampire Lady was a damsel. If a sire is killed do all the gets become weaker/die? the reason i ask is part of the story i have is a damsel and a retinue of KotR are beset by undead lead by a vampire. during the battle the damsel is bitten by the vampire but the kiss is interupted by the KotR champion dispatching the damsel. ( from the knights point of view it looks like the damsel was fending off the vampire but not being bitten. ) does the kiss have to be administered via neck or any part of the body work? obviously main arteries accelerate the process but just because you get an infection in a cut on a finger does not mean you wont get blood poisoning, it just takes a little longer to reach vital organs.

23. Get of W'soran

A vampire "lineage" (that is to say a group of vampires linked by blood but split off from the rest of their bloodline) could easily be based anywhere in the world. For example a vampire of the von Carstein bloodline deciding to have nothing to do with Sylvania and setting up shop in Altdorf to go about their own plans.

As for the siring process it's always been a little vague. Basically if the vampire's blood entered the damsel's body then she will likely turn, it doesn't have to necessarily be a bite.

For example Vlad turned one of his sons by nearly killing him, spitting some blood into his mouth and throwing him of a wall or tower (It's been a while since I've read that series).
    At some point the damsel will die due to the bite, she might stay dead for a few minutes or a few hours (perhaps even a few days) and then simply reanimate as a vampire.

The death of the sire will have no effect on the damsel except she won't be beholden to anyone's will and she'll have to figure out how being a vampire works on her own. (Thralls are usually pretty dependant on their parents)

Sorry if this isn't much help, I don't have much free time right now.

24. Count Calico Jaques

Count Calico Jaques Zombie

Thats great info thanks, got a copy Liber Mortis. read a little of it and the Blood Knights were based on the Bretonnian border. so really it gives a good premise for the vampire to attack the caravan as KotR could be considered worthy opponents.

"second" question then has something more to do with Abyssal Terrors in general (I know its nothing to do with my initial questions, but i want to develop the idea more before asking more questions) I have an idea for a big conversion based on the vague description in the AB.

Body -> Zombie Dragon
    Head -> Slaughterbrute (will narrow it to make it proportionate to neck)
    Poison -> Carnifex Venom Sacks
    Blades -> Hexwraith Scythes
    Tail -> 3x Thundertusk tails (long bony one with barbs)

with all this in mind does it seem plausable to be considered an abyssal terror? especially as fluff wise very little is described.

edit: going to change the idea to suit a bretonnian setting, gryphon based construct maybe? now does the gryphon mount count as monster or monstrous cavalry?

edit the edit: i meant hippogryph not gryphon

25. Markond

Markond Skeleton

I have a few questions about vampires that came up from fleshing out my armies backstory:

Is it possible for vampires to have sterile blood, as in they cannot successfully make any more vampires due to some flaw or problem?
    Is there some way through alchemy, magic or other routes to change the nature of vampirism, as in an older vampire trying to change his bloodlines inherent abilities to favour certain traits like shapeshifting?
    Related to the above are there any examples of magical traits being selectively bred into a family; could magical potential, susceptibility to chaos corruption or other similar traits be passed down through generations?
    Is the process that makes a ghoul into a crypt horror exclusive to ghouls, or could other creatures, even potentially people be given it?

My idea was to have a vampire lord trying to make the perfect vampire by altering his own bloodline, and making humans better suited to being turned by adding magical traits to selected families and manipulating events down the generations to interbreed his experiments. Better paint for a better canvas.