1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Beasts of the Grave are back...

Discussion in 'Gateway to the Realms' started by Demian, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

So in the AoS app, the Beasts of the Grave are back:

-Terrorgheist from non-Flesh Eaters, with 3D6 Death Shriek, no Gaping Maw attack and summoneable.
    -unridden Zombie Dragon from non-Flesh Eaters, summoneable (actually worse than the Flesh Eater one, but you can summon this puppy).

I just thought you all should now, so that the original Grand Alliance of Death rules can still be used, according to the app now.

Lord Elpus likes this.
  2. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Ghoul

I say, that is good news!! However there's still the discrepancy regarding summoning flesheaters stuff in the Grand Alliance book....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  3. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

That's very confusing. Are they trying to say Beasts of the Grave vs Flesh-Easter versions are like Araloth vs Nomad Prince? Old rules for models that are staying in the app?

4. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

Well... the Flesh-Eater ones have very specific synergies and advantages over their "regular" versions (which might get updated once we get a revamp on, say Soulblight).

For now, generic Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons have the advantage of being summoneable, and a very powerful Death Shriek that can low Archaon himself (it can happen...)

5. Malisteen

Malisteen Vampire Count True Blood

I wonder if the willingness to heavily revise things & keep multiple very different rules for the same units simultaneously will continue once points values are in place?

I hope this willingness to rethink unit stats extends to black knights once skeletons get their book.

(And before anyone asks how long I can stay grumpy about the current state of black knights, you should know I play chaos marines.)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Count michael and Oppenheimer like this.
  6. Zacharias

Zacharias Ghoul

In the FAQ it states that if two war scrolls exist for the same model you may choose which you want to use. Realised this problem after buying the flesh eaters book and noticing the additional attack for the zombie dragon and the weaker TG/Ghoul King with command abilities that don't work in matches play. In fact nearly all the command abilities in the the Fleash Eaters Courts are just automatic summons which don't help in matches play.

7. EternallyUndying

EternallyUndying Black Knight

@Zacharias
    The Flesh Eater book was clearly made before matched play. Everything with a scroll is legal so of course you want an insane +1/+1 GK on foot.

-
    Don't be fooled, the beasts of the grave are much worse. The dragon is blatantly better with -3 rend on breath and an extra maw attack. The Terrorgheist loses the 6 mortal wound effect on maw attacks and +1 save just so you can do the 3 dice shriek. Its not going to be 3 dice for long with a 5+ save. Regardless its still useless vs a ton of stuff that has high bravery so you are getting a lot more out of the new scrolls.

8. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

eh, the new terrorgheist heals d3 only when near an abhorrant ghoul king.
    the old terrorgheist heals 1 wound always, and d3 if it slains a model.

if you field a terrorgheis with GK, the new warscroll is mandatory, hands down, however, if you are using a vampire army and the terrorgheist is just a "heavy support" behemoth, then the two versions are comparable, each one with its own advantages / disadvantages (the new one got a better save and a better melee damage, the old one heals and got a better Death shriek)

9. EternallyUndying

the "old" death shriek averages 12 with a minimum of 3, the new Death Shriek Averages 10 with a minimum of 7. The new shriek might not have the ability to roll an 18, but you also cant roll a 5 or something terrible. Overall we are talking a very minimum reliable difference here, and in either case is almost never going to do much vs undead, daemons or other stuff with high bravery.

There is something to be said about what the average bravery is, meaning that rolling a 3 is just as bad as rolling a 7 in many cases, where an 18 is always awesome. But in AoS there are a lot of things with terrible bravery where rolling a nice 10 is going to have a meaningful impact. Also, unlike 8th edition, things tend to have more wounds, so rolling a big 15 is no longer the blowout it used to be.

IMO, its never worth it to spend 320 points on a monster unless it has at least a 4+ save.

10. Unas the slayer

I cannot disagree on that... however, the terrorgheist with save 5+ heals always, and at least this (maybe) compensates the low save, if you lack the GK.
    That said, 320 pts remain a lot.

11. EternallyUndying

I'll be running the standard TG with an (old scroll) Abhorrent for a 1000 point game in my league today. Since I will be desperately protecting my GK, he should be good hiding behind a TG, allowing the TG free D3 heals meanwhile the command ability gives the TG +1 to hit and wound plus 5++ (with the command traits)

Zacharias likes this.
  12. Unas the slayer

Sounds like a plan.
    How about the rest of the army?

13. EternallyUndying

lots of ghouls. I lost because Drycha is the best horde killer in the game - 24 mortal wounds to a ghoul horde in one shot. The Terrorgheist did awesome though.

14. Unas the slayer

Ouch. Flitterflies or Squirmlings?

15. EternallyUndying

Squirmlings. I had charged 10 lowly dryads and so i had 30 ghouls in a clump so she walked up and got them all within 10". 30 dice at 3+ and 24 mortal wounds were caused.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017