1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

best way to take out archaon?

Discussion in 'Gateway to the Realms' started by Woodsie, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Woodsie

Woodsie Zombie

Any opinions on this...... I was thinking a menagerie. Terrorgheists and zombie dragons. .... maybe a couple of zombie hordes.... ?

2. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

I have encountered the new Archaon too, so I have a few ideas.
    Terrorgeists and zombo dragons (ridden, preferably) are not bad. My vampire lord dragonrider survived for 4 close combat rounds against Archy while dealing a good number of wounds in return.
    Do not ever let you 1-wound infantry be anywhere near Archy, he eats them with his Nurgle head and heals a lot. So, zombies are a terrible choice.
    I find that softening him from range before charging helps. Death has little quality shooting, however. Screaming Skull catapults and bow ushebti can rend a bit, at least, so you can try them. Bonus points for bringing along a necrotect for buffs.
    Banshee and t-gheist screams are effective, but short-ranged, so if you use them, you should charge the same turn. Zombo dragon breath can add to your firepower, too, especially the flesh-eaters variant (rend -3!).
    Finally, spirit hosts buffed by mystic shield can ve a problem for Archy, with their unrendable save and ability to deal mortal wounds in melee.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. Woodsie

Woodsie Zombie

I was thinking spirit hosts but it has an ability were the player gets to pick a number on hit rolls... eg 6 and they have to be rerolled..

4. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Ghoul

hordes of Zombies and maybe a Lord on Zombie Dragon...

5. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

The Eye of Sheeran is not a reliable effect, because it requires him to roll a dice and depending on the result then those successful To-Hit results must be re-rolled.

I'd Say Catapult + Summoneable Terrorgheist (3d6 scream) can do the most damage to him.

Anoyther thing to try is Neferata + Cursed Book + Mournghul on him and well, everything else. Our Queen can execute him with enough luck should he drop below a D6 wounds, and negating most of his Hits is the way to avoid his insta-kill with his sword.

Mournghul alone + Shield, really.

Necrosphynx with Righteous Smiting / Blood Feast / Who Dares Disturb my Slumber / And He did say War and the World Trembled. One well placed Decapitating Strike and Archaon is done for.

EDIT: Red Fury Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon!! or Tomb King on Royal Sphynx

6. Infernal Skull

Infernal Skull Wight King

I'd suggest Morghast Archai-- They have 3 attacks with -2 rend and each wound that gets through inflicts 3 damage. They have a 4+ save, with Mystic Shield becomes 3+. Put a buff on them for an extra attack or extra pile-in and attack.

Wight Kings with Black Axes can also be effective character killers. They dish multiple wounds per attack, their armor halves wounds suffered, and if they wound a model and it doesn't die, roll a dice: If the result is higher than the number of remaining wounds, the model is slain. Only useful when it's down below 6 wounds, so Archaon will need some softening up first, but a couple Wight Kings can certainly finish him off.

7. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

I'm sure that Morghasts can't be buffed by Vanhels, they are not deathrattle/deadwalkers/mordants.

8. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

Neferata can't equip artefacts because she is a named hero.

9. Infernal Skull

Infernal Skull Wight King

Ah, that's right. They could still get a bonus attack from a Vampire Lord though.

10. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

Well, no, she can't herself, but an accompanying hero can (like an Ayssal Terror Vampire Lord, for a cheaper version of a ZD one) and comboes well with her.