1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Borgnine's Log: Alternative Varghulf painted!

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by Borgnine, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

@Farmer7574 good to see you back then! Thanks! All those teeth didn't actually take that much time - I always try to roll up some pointy teeth every time I have some leftover greenstuff - so I always have some laying around. And they can always be cut up to size - so it was mostly a matter of setting them up in place ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------

The alternate Varghulf I converted from a Zombicide Wolfbomination is ready!

It was nice to finally paint a monster that wasn't a part of the Zombie Legion. I didn't have to rush everything, I could take my time and really enjoy the painting process, trying out things I've read about during this last year. Even the color scheme was already decided - light bluish skin and dark, reddish wings and fur - to fit together well with my other Varghulf. First, I painted its skin, wetblending light blue and dark blue paint to create areas of light and shadow - and then I kept adding many layers of glazes, both light and dark, to strengthen the contrasts and bring out the details. It was probably the first time when I really tried to think about zenithal light instead of just raised areas and recesses. When the skin was done I did the same with the red parts. After that, I added some subtle dark red glazes in the shaded areas to make the contrast between that and the cold highlights even stronger.

In the end, I think that he turned out pretty well and I enjoyed painting him. I like monsters of this size and the limited amount of colors also made things a bit less chaotic - especially after all those zombies! I'm thinking of doing some more alternative Varghulfs later, maybe this time scratchbuilt instead of converted.

Also, as I said in the WIP post, the word I used to name it, Gatzek (spelled in Gacek in Polish) is a Polish name for a family of bats - and also a kinda silly colloquial term for bats in general.

The backstory:
    One of the most useful beasts used by von Greifens is the so-called Fledermaus - a vampire turned into an animalistic monster by their father, Laurentin. When a Necrarch scholar Eshnuu joined the brothers in Varsavia, he quickly became interested in replicating the process. Together with Lucan, they started catching - and if necessary - creating vampires to be turned. The experiments weren’t easy and many ‘applicants’ perished messily in the process. Only one of them survived - its past already forgotten, it began its new unlife as a muscle-bound bat-like monster with a distended jaw full of sharp teeth. Its mind broken and wiped, it is driven solely by its neverending, horrific hunger - with only commands of obedience burned into its brain keeping it at bay. Lucan named it ‘Gatzek’ - using a local, colloquial term for a bat - similarly to how Constantin calls his monstrous pet 'Fledermaus'. Only while Constantin says it with some kind of affection, for Lucan it's only a joke - he won't spare any feelings for mere weapons.

[​IMG]

PS. I will be traveling next week - and while I can schedule posts on my blog to be posted automatically, I can't do it here, so no post next week. But it will be about zombie beasts - the same as I've already shown here long time ago, only this time with the boar added, so you won't miss that much xD

2. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Wight King

A nightmare made flesh.
    Your dark ideas always surprise me.

3. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

Wow, he's turned out brilliantly....

A sick idea, nice conversion and awesome paint job - Classic Borgnine! :thumbsup:

4. DocteurQui

DocteurQui Skeleton

This conversion is so cool, I think I first saw the unpainted one on your blog, and even then it was a sight to behold. I really like it and the backstory you've given him is really cool and fluffy!

5. Menkeroth

Menkeroth A Knight of Blood

Very cool! And the painting is just superb. Keep it up!