1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tomb-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Buildind my Lahmian army

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by Mioum, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

So not much of an update, but I did this little project last week!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got that SSC quite a while ago (two of them, in fact), with the plan to add them to my TK for bigger games if I needed more than 2 SSC (3000pts+ games). But never went around that, then End Time and legion army came. So without the need to change the crew, I decided to make them fit with my VC instead, suit them better and I get to keep the original crews too :D

2. robtion

robtion Vampire Thrall

Once again I'm late to the party but WOW!!! :|

That Colossus is amazing. So much creativity. The idea and execution are both spot on. It is one of my new favourite miniatures. :bowdown:

Reminds me of the Wicker Man a bit. I also like how you still managed to sneak some of your signature green in there.

Theerteen likes this.
  3. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Varghulf

Yeah, also just catching up - the Colossus really is something to be proud of, and sooooo colossal!

Where did you get Walach's skeletal dragon, that's a beauty, I think I need one :happy:

4. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

5. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

So in preparation for the next painting challenge, I decided to work on something I had for a long, long while, and though it was time to give it some attention.

To start with it, I decided to make a new style of base for them, a cobblestone street. So I took the green stuff out and made the base for my unit filler (100mm x 60mm);

[​IMG]

I also gave it some camber effect (had to google that word, not even sure if it's the right one) just because. Not a very pronounced curve, but hey, if it's made like that in real life, that's how I'll do it on my mini :tongue:

[​IMG]

6. Borgnine

Borgnine Vampire Count True Blood

Quite a dedication to make such a curve on a base ;) I read about this effect when you wrote about it, but it seems to be about vehicle wheels. Is that a hint about what will stand there? ;)

Also, why did you divide that big base into smaller pieces? Is it to keep it kinda uniform with the rest of the unit?

7. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Yeah no, there won't be wheel on it, only feet! So I guess that was the wrong term :tongue:

As for the division, it's mostly for gameplay purpose, it will be much easier to work out what a template hit in the unit this way for example.

8. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@Mioum That's really good for a homemade base. Replicating the rise that cobblestone streets have was very thoughtful too. Good job.

9. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Thanks @Farmer7574 :)

The base is now painted! Tried to get a good pic of it since there's quite a few subtle colors in there. That's the best I could get, I guess you could make out the essential there.

I might try to add a few things on the base (like bones, leaves maybe, etc.), but for now I'm going to paint the models that go on it.

[​IMG]

10. Farmer7574

@Mioum That's turned out great, the subtle colours work nicely and break up the cobbles well as opposed to looking like a mass of grey stones.

Small details like bones & leaves will work nicely used sparingly, I think :)

11. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

And now the models are finished!

I think you should recognize what it is pretty easily :D

This idea and the models where made a very long time ago actually (well over 10+ years), but since I moved to a Lahmian-themed army by the end of 6th edition, I never complete that project, until now! So recently I actually finished them (some greenstuff and general clean up) and I decided to move them to a street base instead of regular earth and grass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theerteen and Farmer7574 like this.
  12. Farmer7574

@Mioum Hah, that's excellent and totally what I wasn't expecting :D

MJ's eyes look great, very eery.

13. Borgnine

And here I was, wondering why do they all hold their hands in the same position. I had to look into the entry in the competition to finally get the reference - I'm slow like that ;) Awesome job all the way :thumbsup:

14. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

@Mioum: That is just wonderful :happy:

What a wonderfully disturbing idea.

Great work on the bases too. Would work very nicely for a Mordheim group. Will keep that in mind, might copy it.

15. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Cheers guys, thanks for the comments!

16. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Hey guys, long time without an update here! Must say that in the past few months I did very little overall with any of my armies. But thanks to the little challenges we have here, I was able to get going with painting a bit more. This time I even managed to get a real unit done!

So with the cavalry challenge I set out to paint some of my Black Knights! I had the paint scheme idea in my head for a while, but wasn't sure how it would turns out once actually applied to a mini. Thankfully it turned out alright :) I wanted something quick and easy to do, especially for cavalry since I've been burned out of painting undead horses for quite a while now thanks to my Tomb Kings!

I did 10 of them to start (just a start, I couldn't settle for a measly 10 ;)). I was happy to find out that the painting was as simple and quick as I had planned (sometime I get carried over and can go overboard without noticing). So once I have more of them ready to paint it should be as easy to do!

Here's some pics of the unit;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Dead of Night and Sessioni like this.
  17. Farmer7574

@Mioum Nice work on those knights. I really like the orange rust, and also how the black and green shields & robes clash with it.

It would've been cool if you'd put some reins on the horses, but that's a very small detail. The unit looks great as it is!

18. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Thanks @Farmer7574 ! Reins would have been cool, but I already tried that on other model and it's a lot of work! I kept them really simple (paint job included) since these are "free" models after building the Hexwraith from the box. I don't think I've used knights in my army all throughout 8th edition, so not really a mainstay unit worth the hassle of adding reins :tongue:

19. Borgnine

Great job as usual :) That green-rusty-black combination looks great, especially multiplied like that :thumbsup:

Also, I noticed that the bones on them are much whiter than on, for example, that catapult up above. Is light the difference? Seems like it. Which one is closer to the true colors? ;)

20. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

@Borgnine ; The bones are indeed different on the two unit! While I used the flash for the knights pictures and didn't for the catapult (big difference with white colors), I used different technique and recipe for both!

For the knights it was more of a rush job, drybrush, and using more white, while the catapult was more bleached bone and hand highlight. Difference between a single model versus a big unit can lead to corner cutting :tongue: I didn't want to spend forever on the knights, considering that's only a third of what I need to paint!

21. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Hey guys, long time without posting anything here. Doesn't help that I wasn't able to actually work on anything of my own for a while! But recently I managed to squeak some free time to work on something for me, yay!

Here's a little something I did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So with Mannfred done, only one Mortarch left to paint to have the full 9 (Dieter is the last one), and of course Nagash will need to be there too eventually :D

Dieter is actually all primed and ready to go, but alas it must wait a bit more as I'm still swamped with other projects. Hopefully I'll get to it soon because I want all 9 Mortarch done!

22. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

First!

Reeeaaaaally cool comback mate, that mortarch bursts in here with a great impression! I love the head of the beast, the paint scheme and especially the eyes! Would you mind sharing the technique? The slight glow effect is awesome!
    I still have a mortarch unboxed here, but absolutely no motivation to assemble and paint it :/ But yours definitely is an eyecatcher!

23. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

Cheers man, glad you like it!

For the glowy eyes, it's pretty simple actually, I just painted the head/eyes as normal then used the Bloodletter Glaze from GW! Gave 2 coats of it here, to make sure it was showing over the black/dark gray. Worked pretty decently I must say :)

And I should end up with more free time for Warhammer eventually, can't wait to resume works on my various projects!

24. Mioum

Mioum Crypt Horror

With the painting challenge, I decided that it was time to make my second old school catapult, and finished it this week end! Used the Mantic crew to make it a bit more different than the other one;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I think I want to tackle the last Mortarch, so I hope I can stick to the plan have have him done soon!