1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Cannibalism - Could you do it

Discussion in 'The Beast Within' started by Disciple of Nagash, Jun 10, 2012.

1. hairyjeff

hairyjeff Crypt Horror

As Zephyr said, people did (do) what they had to. I don't believe any of us would do such a thing lightly, but would if it was the ONLY option.And I like to think it would be done with as much respect as possible. Also, you' re not at all a moron. You have your beliefs, I have mine, and we both have a total right to them, without decrying the others'. I may not have the same faith, but I would defend your's to the hilt, with the one proviso that the feeling is mutual respect.

2. Kaladas Harkon

Kaladas Harkon Wight King

Depends on how it tasted.

3. Narenzade

Narenzade Wight King

Yeah, I'd do it. If it's death or eat my buddy? I would have to wait until they die though. I couldn't off him just for food. It wouldn't be that easy, but when you get down to it...

We are not special. We are not unique. We are not special snowflakes. We are all the same decaying matter.

4. Monkey's_Uncle

Monkey's_Uncle Wight King

When we're dead yes... though I've seen quite a few unique living people in my time...

P.S. No disrespect was intended Zephyr, I believe that people are entitled to believe whatever they want, whether that's a singular god, multiple, or none at all. Sadly my 'unique' take on humour doesn't translate to text very well.. (There's no 'smilie' for inane gurning!)

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Master Necromancer True Blood

I did not take it as offensive at all, no worries! I actually made fun of myself; I know how insane it must all seem to outsiders. I know I am not a moron but sure as hell look like one when I am doing my stucf. I am just really relaxed when it comes to debates like these. Some religious people are way too stuck up.

Ah I see where I went wrong. I meant respect as in towards my remains...d'oh!

What is even worse the example I gave...I know they made a movie out of it called Alive but I cannot find the actual documentary Discovery made.
    National Geographic also had the Taboo series in which they had an episode about cannibalism. In some cultures it is really respectful to eat your parents when they die so they are spiritually part of the new generation. They reincarnate into any grandchildren born after their er...family meal.

6. Kaladas Harkon

Kaladas Harkon Wight King

To be honest, I'm not sure why there's such a big fuss about it. You'd need to cook the stuff pretty well as like pig meat, it would carry a lot of transmissible pathogens so it'd be well done or bust, but it's just meat. Maybe I'd feel differently in a scenario that would require me to do so, but I doubt it; I'm a sociopathic bastard at the best of times.

7. Monkey's_Uncle

Monkey's_Uncle Wight King

Okey dokey, I wasn't 100% sure of your meaning I thought I'd just clarify that to make sure. I think the whole taboo nature of it entirely comes from your upbringing.

I also don't want to sound like I'm criticising DoN, but I do feel the thread is a little pointless, as most of us have absolutely no idea how we would react given the circumstances.

8. Count Darvaleth

Count Darvaleth I <3 marmite Staff Member True Blood

It would be a very, very sunny day in Siberia when I eat a member of my family. That's all I can really say at this point. :clown:

9. Von Calyptra

Von Calyptra Black Knight

Could you elaborate on that? Every culture I know of that practices cannibalism only does so in a very limited, ritualized fashion, though I haven't really researched it.

And it can be really bad for you. Cannibalism leads to prion disease, a degenerative and fatal neurological disorder caused by ingestion of a misfolded protein found in neural tissue. (Mad cow disease is an example of this.) I don't pretend to understand it, despite having skimmed articles on the subject. My excuse is that I went to art school. Anyway, muscle tissue is safer to ingest, and whatever you do, don't eat the brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_%28disease%29

10. hairyjeff

hairyjeff Crypt Horror

Don't eat the brain? poor zombies!

11. Ordo Cruentus

Ordo Cruentus Order amongst the Dead

I want to say no...but I know when the beast known as hunger was gnawing away at me, I would in turn gnaw upon the nearest source of food.

Damn you, requirements to live!

12. Aren

Aren Crypt Horror

I think we aren't thinking about this logically enough.

What do humans need most to survive? Water. What is the massive 7litre source of liquid near you? Blood. While a human can survive for a surprisingly long time without food, without water he/she dies in about 3 days. Therefore over the meat more important is the Blood.

Also, Blood is the right concentration (while water is too dilute that's why you get dialysis machines etc.) and is bursting with nutrients, each one that your body wants and needs. The Blood of your friend would let you live longer and provide your body with the nutrients you need.

Therefore I wouldn't mind someone eating my body because it is going to rot anyway and as long as they leave my bones intact (so my body will be exactly the same as though I had rotted naturally) and I would refrain from eating the meat of the other person but I would drink their Blood. Truly in this instance, the Blood IS the Life :)

On the other hand, what is a few more days? A few days either way makes little difference, unless it gives me time to get saved from this place of foodlessness.

As a side note: I am religious (Catholic) and I am for all the pro-life etc. things however I don't mind discussions like these, I think they're great. Too often these days people simply don't think about "what if....?" and live life as if they were forced into a routine. I like questions and discussions and do not mind someone disagreeing with me. While my religion does have a resurrection of the body aspect it is more akin to being given a new body, better than the one before. So whether bones, dust or in someone's belly it makes little difference.

Also, I will end up in my 10xgrand-children's food as I will rot, be ingested by worms and then turn to soil where plants will grow (you can see where those will end up). So whether eaten by worms or humans makes little difference to me really. Have a meal on me xD

13. Ordo Cruentus

Ordo Cruentus Order amongst the Dead

Not only does blood have too much sodium in it (regardless of diet) to be hydrating, it will actually dehydrate you. Also, the human stomach does not like human blood, and will actively purge it, so have fun puking on top of getting more thirsty!

I wouldn't recommend it in a survival situation.

14. Duluoz

Duluoz Skeleton

I forget where, but I to have heard that.

On topic... I couldn't. Just couldn't. I'm not saying its right or wrong, in extreme circumstances I'm not sure if cannibalism can fall into either category, but I personally couldn't do it.

That being said, if I died, I wouldn't mind my body being used for food. I mean hell, flesh rots anyway, and all that remains is the skeleton. I'm religious, but it's the soul that counts. Not the body. If I can help another life to live in my death, so be it.

15. Aren

Aren Crypt Horror

I stand corrected....which doesn't change the fact that you would sooner die of dehydration than starvation.

Also, I know there are (or have been) norse traditions of drinking the blood of your first hunt and not just by the drop but cupfulls. Monglos would drink the blood of their horses if it became necessary and blood mixed with milk is still drank in parts of Africa. In Poland we have a soup made from amongst other things Duck Blood. Seal blood is also drank by some Inuit societies to fortify their own blood. Now, this is mostly animal blood so I don't know how it would work for human blood yet at the same time it is not lethal for a human to drink human blood, also if you eat raw human flesh you would puke anyway and finally, flesh would dehydrate you even more than blood.

DoN - are we assuming there is no source of water or that water is not a problem? It drastically changes the logistics of this debate/discussion.

As for moral reasons and issues I stand by the : you can eat my flesh and I have no problem eating yours.

16. Duke Danse Macabre

Duke Danse Macabre The Duke Staff Member True Blood

Mmmmmm... A interesting question.

I would have to have a mixed answer.
    If they were dead already and there was no other food then yes I would, if it was someone I cared allot for however though I would not.
    If gain however they were someone I outright hated I would happily strangle them and then eat them, at least if i still starve to death I got that swine first. :innocent: