1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Chat seems to be broken. Also, German

Discussion in 'Wisdom of the Master Archive' started by spineyrequiem, Jun 24, 2013.

1. spineyrequiem

spineyrequiem Necromancer

As the title implies, when I went onto the chat it was white (rather than black) and no longer displaying messages. Where the names normally are, there were four 'picture failed to load' pictures (you hopefully know the type), when it said there were five users in the room.

As well as this, the chat refers to itself as ET-Chat v3.0.6. Also, everything's in German. The rooms were named 'Room for all', 'Room for admins' and 'Room password protected'.. This is on Google Chrome, version 27.0.1453.116 m

EDIT: It's started displaying names again, and the right numbers of them.

2. Count Darvaleth

Count Darvaleth I <3 marmite Staff Member True Blood

I get the entire room in white, with German, as spiney describes. Using a Mac OS X 10.8.4 Google Chrome.

3. Harland

Harland The Colonel Staff Member True Blood

I would guess that this is due to the updates that are currently being made.

4. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

Somethings gone drastically wrong - but I am not sure why as nothing has changed coding wise. I will likely have to take offline.

5. Harland

Harland The Colonel Staff Member True Blood

Just a stab in the dark - maybe it's something to do with the overall theme/format settings? Or do you mean absolutely nothing?

6. Disciple of Nagash

No its not that. Nothing at all has been done, it should not have been affected in anyway. A re-upload of the files for it didn't work either.

7. The Dread King

The Dread King Moderator Staff Member True Blood TVC II GM

Both apple and google are tax avoiding swindlers, so the awesomeness of CN must be rebelling against their heresy.

In all seriousness, if we want to know whether it's do with formatting or not, we should check if chat works normally on the mobile version of the site - it has a different format. If chat is screwed up on the mobile version too, it's likely that the problem is not to do with formatting.

8. Shareya

Shareya Vampire Count True Blood

*starts to panick* :O:O

9. Disciple of Nagash

Chat has now been taken offline. :( It is sadly not cost effective to repair as it was a bodge job in the first place, something I did years ago and I haven't been able to update since as it is in german and the newer versions don't integrate with MyBB.

However don't panic! I think I may have found a much better alternative, that comes with a inbuilt integrator to our forum software. The only downside is that is costs so I am looking at the options at the moment.

10. alppikutka

alppikutka Zombie

How about IRC?

11. Disciple of Nagash

12. alppikutka

alppikutka Zombie

Internet relay chat. Could have a CN channel on one of the many networks already working or could host a completely private one alongside with the forum. Could be accessed with separate IRC clients and/or a web-based client that could be linked as "Chat" on the forums.

13. Shareya

As long as we do not have to download something!

14. alppikutka

alppikutka Zombie

The possibilities are almost endless with IRC. It's very basic system with a lot of customization possibilities.

A very basic example: @Quakenet#carpenoctem.
    Code:
    <iframe src="http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=carpenoctem&uio=d4" width="647" height="400"></iframe>

15. Disciple of Nagash

It looks interesting, however the other chat function I have found is also very impressive. I'll certainly bear this in mind though.

16. Irisado

Irisado Ancient Vampire Lord Staff Member True Blood

You would have to download an IRC client to be able to access it.

17. alppikutka

alppikutka Zombie

... or just use the web-IRC I linked. That requires no downloads. Requires no zombies either but that seems to be a negative thing as chat usually had tens of visits during a day but the IRC channel has had only 4 visits in 4 days. All of those within the first day.

I hope DoN finds us a new chat system relatively soon. I miss my daily dose of chatting.

18. Disciple of Nagash

I am looking at Cometchat at the moment. Looks impressive and has a built in integrator with CN software.

19. Shareya

But it costs money and we are gunning for free stuff, no? IRC web thingy that alppi linked would work I admit.

20. Disciple of Nagash

Sometimes its worth paying for decent stuff :)

21. alppikutka

alppikutka Zombie

Well if you get Cometchat you have to get Sandra the bot with it too!
    sandra1.jpeg

22. Shareya

Any news on the chat?

23. alppikutka

alppikutka Zombie

I hope we get something set up soon. It has been more than quiet at the IRC channel! =D
    cnirc.jpg

24. Disciple of Nagash

I will be going with Cometchat however all my funds at the moment are funnelled into moving. As soon as that is done I'll then look at paying for and installing Cometchat.