• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
I suck at painting. I decided to start painting my Necro Knights and I couldn't decide between using Abandon Black or Warlock Bronze for the base coat, so I painted one of each. I then put a layer of Hashut Copper on each and it wasn't noticeable on the bronze, but made the black look like a shitty version of the bronze. So then I painted sections in Auric Gold and this is the result: IMAG0523_1.jpg IMAG0524_1.jpg

I think the snakes might still be too dark and was thinking about painting the rings just below the "fins" gold as well. Would that be too much gold?

Also, what's a good color for guns and guts? I just can't seem to find the right shades. Is there a mixture I might use? It's for my mournghul.
IMAG0526_1.jpg IMAG0525_1.jpg
Thanks in advance.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
As of now they don't have that much gold on them, I'd say go for those rings too. What other colours are you planning on using?

As for the gore, GW doesn't really make really good red shades for that kind of thing. I do my gore painting old Chestnut Ink (thick, glossy red ink with a bit of brown to it) over a pink basecoat, many people swear by Tamiya Clear Red for that stuff. In a pinch, maybe watered down dark red would work?

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
As of now they don't have that much gold on them, I'd say go for those rings too. What other colours are you planning on using?

As for the gore, GW doesn't really make really good red shades for that kind of thing. I do my gore painting old Chestnut Ink (thick, glossy red ink with a bit of brown to it) over a pink basecoat, many people swear by Tamiya Clear Red for that stuff. In a pinch, maybe watered down dark red would work?
I don't know what other colors I'm going to use. I was thinking to just color the faces and work more on the riders. Thanks for the tip on the gore; what brand are those paints you mentioned?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Thanks for the tip on the gore; what brand are those paints you mentioned?

Chestnut Ink was made by GW, unfortunately not anymore. Clear Red is done by Tamiya. I also remembered, Army Painter has 'Red Tone' which is just like other GW washes, only truly deep red - that would work too.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
I use Tamiya Red too, but GW now do Blood For The Blood God for the same job, so if you prefer Citadel paints give that a try.

For gory bits, I usually paint the model normally (clothes, flesh, exposed bone etc) and then splash gore over the top. You might obscure a lot of the previous work, but it usually looks better.

On the snakes, I think more gold would be good. You could try brightening the whole model by drybrushing over the dark metal with a brighter tone, maybe mix a little gold and copper together.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I'm late for the party, but I believe you did a good job. Much gold but the dark body doesn't let the model being too bright, and yes, good use of the blue.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
And now you have a classic Khemri colour scheme, nice.

One of my painting tips, and something I have to remind myself, is that models will look RUBBISH at some point in the painting process! It's inevitable. One of my "tricks" is to get all the base colours onto a new model as quickly as possible, even if it's untidy, so I can see where it's going before I commit to it.

Want to get a bit more advanced? I would go back and tidy the metals up around the blue, then try a brown or reddish wash over the paler gold. It really adds depth to the colour. Then re-highlight it with the same gold, maybe with a touch of silver added to brighten it. And that summarises how I painted 90% of the models in my army, and people seem to like it! ;)

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
And now you have a classic Khemri colour scheme, nice.

One of my painting tips, and something I have to remind myself, is that models will look RUBBISH at some point in the painting process! It's inevitable. One of my "tricks" is to get all the base colours onto a new model as quickly as possible, even if it's untidy, so I can see where it's going before I commit to it.

Want to get a bit more advanced? I would go back and tidy the metals up around the blue, then try a brown or reddish wash over the paler gold. It really adds depth to the colour. Then re-highlight it with the same gold, maybe with a touch of silver added to brighten it. And that summarises how I painted 90% of the models in my army, and people seem to like it! ;)
Thanks for the tip, but that sounds way too technical for me. I based the two models first to see the result. After that, it's more of an assembly line.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Hey, no pressure :) I feel the same about trying "next level" techniques - mostly, it can wait until everything in my army is painted to my current level! Once you are confident at churning out neatly painted minis in colours you like, you can have a go at something "better" if the mood take you.

Meantime, I look forward to seeing the finished unit :D

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
I'm diligently working at it, but man, it takes like 100 times longer to paint than assemble. It's taken me 5+ hours just to do the riders...

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Alabaster427 Hashut copper has incredibly poor coverage. I think I'd apply it over a basecoat of Balthazar gold in the future for better results. As for your current progress, the most recent shots you've posted (with the blue in place) look great - the gold isn't overkill.

I can 2nd Tamiya Clear Red. All the blood effects in my plog are CR mixed with a bit of Nuln Oil.
I use this too. (Got this recipe from Mr. Barrow!) First I stipple CR 1:2 Nuln (left to dry slightly) on thick gore areas, then I brush on a mix of CR 1:1 Nuln. Decent-looking gore.

Reactions: Adam_Barrow

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
Alright. I got the special bases painted and the snakes are attached, but I forgot to magnetize them first... anyways, here's a sneak peek. I just have some final touches and the magnets before I'm finished. IMAG0532_1.jpg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu