1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Confused/misguided about the Tomb Banshee's Howl

Discussion in 'Laws of the Night' started by Vengeance Crusader, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Vengeance Crusader

Vengeance Crusader Grave Guard

My confusion is in 2 parts, Firstly:

Can Skaven use their Strength in Numbers v.s the Howl???
    In the FaQ it says they can, but, once I take a look at theSkaven FaQ, this answer makes no sense...

In the Skaven FaQ it states that Strength in numbers:
    "Units with the strength in numbers rule add their current rank bonus to their leadership vaule for any LEADERSHIP TEST".

In the VC FaQ, just below the above mentioned question states that the Howl is NOT a Ld test- so why would they get their Strength in Numbers bonus v.s the howl attack?

Second part to my confusion:

If the rules printed in WD (concerning the Banshee's Howl) override/update those printed in the VC Army book- does this mean that when using the Banshee's howl attack against a target, you use the unit's OWN Ld, ignoring modifiers form general, strength in numbers, characters in the unit etc. As no mention of taking into account possible Ld modifiers are made in the new Ghostly Howl rules...

It all makes my head hurt >.<

So- does anyone know the official ruling on this???

2. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

Having just read the rules in my own WD, I think they must use their own base leadership:

1 - It is not a Leadership test. No where does it say that. It is an attack that uses the Leadership stat, entirely different. It is the same thing as in the 7th, when you could not use Doom & Darkness to affect the Howl, as it specified that Leadership tests were at -3, rather than the base stat.

2 - Deriving from the above, the Strength in Numbers state they can use this bonus for any Leadership tests. It does not say it modifies the base Leadership stat.

Therefore as the the Banshee's Howl works using, and I quote "the target unit's Leadership", for which the base stat is not affected, and it is not a leadership test, but instead a special attack, it is not subject to the Skaven Strength in Numbers rule.

*Goes to sit in a corner and look smug* xD

That said, this is just my opinion based on the update Banshee's Howl in the WD. In reality as there is a FAQ that states Skaven may use the rule against the Howl (even if it was the old version), most players will stick with that. I wouldn't have thought it would be worth the bother to argue, but you can always check with your opponent beforehand.

3. Vengeance Crusader

I ask because I took 2 Hero Banshees in my last game, and not a Single wound was inflicted by them (due to needing to roll against Ld 9 because of his general's Ld bubble...) So it got me thinking "Am I playing these rules wrong for them to suck so bad?"

Assuming this is all true- its the same case for the Terrorgheist :)

4. Bishop

Bishop Master Necromancer True Blood

GW VC FAQ, about half way down page 3 says that Strength in Numbers can be used vs. Banshee Howl.

5. Grish

Grish Moderator Staff Member True Blood

The Banshee scream is not to be used against Skaven Rank and File. It's meant to be used on expensive per wound models; Monsters, Mounted Chaos Knights, etc. Generally, you will roll a 9 total, which isn't enough to do any wounds on anything in the General's LD bubble. So if you do manage a wound or two, make sure it's against something that counts. Use it against the Hellpit Abomb.

6. clever handle

clever handle Zombie

Victims of the Banshee's hellscream don't benefit from the General's Inspiring presence as it is not a leadership test. The only benefit characters will give is to lend their leadership to the unit they are currently in.

7. Sweeney Todd

Sweeney Todd Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Actually, the Banshee's Howl specifically states that the target gets to use the general's Ld IIRC. So that's untrue.

8. SirKoozzi

SirKoozzi Skeleton

So clearing thing out Banshee's targets can use general LD? Am i right?

9. Sweeney Todd

Sweeney Todd Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Yes, that is correct. In the time between my previous post and now I knocked off and got home so I finally have my army book in hand to confirm it. The target of the Howl may benefit from Inspiring Presence against it.

The Banshee's Howl is actually best for small heavily armored units like Knights, or monsters(who tend to not have a very high Ld stat). For best results you may have to slap Doom and Darkness, or some other kind of Ld penalty on the enemy general first.

10. The new banshee hero rules do not include that qualifier, so whilst that is applicable to Tomb Banshees, it doesn't apply to the hero Banshee.

11. Sceadu Cille

Sceadu Cille Skeleton

not to keep this poor argument going but there is always a lot of confusion when dealing with these special rules . with the new banshee hero I view it as you may use the generals inspiring presence but not the LD of a regular character in the unit . in the BRB it states that units may use the LD of a joining character for leadership tests . so not usable . however for the generals inspiring presence the wording is that a unit within range may use the generals leadership , period . no mention of leadership tests . anyone see an issue with my logic ?

12. Vengeance Crusader

And since its established that its definitely NOT a Ld TEST- then that logic makes perfect sense :)

13. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

Any updated info about Banshee's ghostly howl against targets within inspiring presence?
    Today we played it so that Hydra could use his general's LD, which was 9 at the time. This is very confusing.

edit. Sceadu Cille's logic is convincing, but has anything changed since 2011?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015