1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Custom Escalation development and more!

Discussion in 'The Necrarch Workshop' started by Onikaigo, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Onikaigo

Onikaigo Vampire Lord True Blood

Hey everyone. I've been around for quite some time, then not around for some more, then back again, then gone again, and now I'm back!

Good. Introductions complete.

This gets long, so there's a TL;DR toward the bottom.

Now, what I want to do here is develop a custom set of Escalation 'base' rules for a narrative driven escalation campaign I'll be setting up once I move to my new place in spring. There are three things specifically I want to accomplish:

1) I want to develop a benefits/perks system for characters AND units behaving exemplary within a battle.
    2) I want to develop a list of army specific 'stratagems' or 'tactics' that one can buy pre-battle using a % of army points to specifically enhance CORE units of their respective armies. More on this below.
    3) I want to eliminate the negative feedback from the last escalation campaign I participated in by allowing players the freedom to be flexible with their army choices, but not to completely revamp their army after a bad loss. I.E, a certain percentage of their army is unchangeable (Say, one unit of skeleton warriors/marauders/sea guard[Are they even core anymore?])

Now, I know there's a similar thread created on this forum that is here http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/need-help-developing-rules-for-a-campaign.27527/
    but I want mine to be different than this in a great many ways as well as developing army wide purchases that would enhance a specific unit or focused tactic. But, of course feel free to run any of these suggestions to that list, or any of his to mine. Give and share alike!

Some specifics of what I've been thinking on are these, in reference to the 'Perks' or 'Honor' system:
    I want to specifically have a Positive and Negative perk system. For every good/Heroic/successful deed a character or unit does, you get positive points. For every challenge you flee, times you die, or miscast, or other negative deed you get negative points. You get enough positive points, you can buy some perks for a specific character. You get enough negative points, you get a 'god gifted' bonus, but they come at a terrible cost. This can be a way to help a player with a losing streak come back into the game.

Follow me? Here are some examples:
    Action Honour Points Earned
    Being on an army that wins with a minor, solid or major victory +1
    Being on an army that wins with a massacre! victory +2
    Being part of a unit that runs down a fleeing enemy +1
    Character in a unit less than 4 models Running down an enemy unit +2
    Killing an enemy non champion character +1
    Killing an enemy unit >200 pts on the charge +1
    Annihilating an enemy unit > 200 pts via Magic +1
    Raising 300 pts of models +1
    Killing an opponent Hero in a Challenge +1(+2 if a Lord)
    ???????

Character Death -2
    Every turn a character does not rally -1
    Being on an army that loses -1
    Miscast cascade causing 3+ wounds -1
    Miscast cascade causing 5+ wounds -2
    ?????

The goal is to emphasize strategic play, as opposed to similar charts where you get points for simply being IN a challenge, in this case you have to win it or accomplish something rather than simply attempting it.

Now, what can you buy with these points? What kinds of perks can you get, you ask? Here's what I've thought of so far. You will be restricted to any 2 of the choices of 'Skill trees' below whenever you make a purchase using your Honor Points (Or your cowardice, if you go negative)

Notice there's no price yet. I have no idea what to price them, so... Suggestions welcome.

Aspect of Cunning
    -Poisoned goblets - One enemy character takes a toughness test before the first turn of the game. If he fails, he takes a wound with no saves of any kinds allowed. This wound cannot be healed during this game.
    -Sabotage - On a 5+ one random war machine cannot fire the first turn of the game. If successful, roll again and choose another target.
    -Lame Beasts - One unit of enemy cavalry on your choice has -1 movement for the duration of the game.
    ?????

Aspect of Strength
    - Martial Training: +1 attack, this cannot bring total attacks above 10.
    - Wounded Pride - Before characters are deployed, the model with this ability may issue a challenge to a single opposing Hero/Lord level character. If accepted, both models use their highest WS or BS to make one attack with a default weapon against their opponent. No magic items, weapons, or enchantments are allowed and this wound cannot be healed or ward saved. If the challenge is refused, the refusing member suffers -1 LD for the remainder of the game.
    - Fencer: Permanently give this character Armor Piercing on all his melee attacks.
    ?????

Aspect of Endurance
    - Stone Skin: The character has a natural armor of 6+ that stacks with all other armor bonuses.
    - Alchemists Accident: The character is immune to psychology, cannot take leadership tests, and is stubborn.
    - Unnaturally tough: Character gains +1 toughness and +1 wound.
    ?????

Aspect of Cowardice, can only be bought with Cowardice points:
    - Miscast Master: When the character miscasts for the first time per game, BEFORE rolling the miscast result if he is within 6 inches of another Wizard (Friend or foe) he may attempt to 'shunt' the effects of the miscast to that wizard. Roll 4D6 and compare to the Wizards leadership + Wizard level. If the result is less than or equal to Ld + Wizard level, the new (unfortunate) recipient must roll on the miscast chart. The Gods name their price in flesh, the Wizard with this ability may never have more than 2 wounds for any reason.
    - Bleeding Thumb: Re-roll all 1's to hit/wound in close combat. The Gods name their price in speed and skill, the character focuses so much on his own blade he neglects his opponent. -1 WS and -1 Attack.
    - Strategic Advance (to the rear!): The character with this ability does not have to make leadership checks to rally, and can choose to flee or rally at will. He/she confers this ability on a CORE unit. The Gods name their price, the character may never leave the unit he begins the game in, that unit must be a CORE unit, and if he is the last man standing in his unit he gains the 'Stupidity' special rule.
    ?????

Whew! That's a lot. There's ONE more option I want to propose for the campaign groundwork of sorts. I am trying to push these rules and guidelines toward making Warhammer Fantasy a game about infantry bricks, encouraging more infantry, and allowing us to get that old regimental style back while still allowing other options of play. To do this, I want to introduce army-wide 'Stratagems' that you can purchase for a small percentage of your total points. For example:

Vampire Counts/Undead:
    X% total points: Undead don't crumble if they have Steadfast and a Standard bearer in the unit. In any combat where the unit loses steadfast, they then regain their Unstable special rule and crumble as normal.
    X% total points: All successful summoning attempts by a Necromancer (Not NGASH, cuz balancing him is hard) in your army raises a further D6 wounds worth of models to a core unit.
    X% total points: For the first round of the game all models you control gain a 5+ Ward to shooting attacks.
    X% total points: The first time an undead infantry unit you control charges this game they gain +1 Strength until the end of the first combat.
    ????

And so on. I want something like this for each army book (eventually) so that every general sitting down across the table from me has the options to play his book how he wants it to be played.

Need a TL;DR?

I need help developing rules for an Escalation Campaign.

You earn points per character in your army on this chart:

Action Honour Points Earned
    Being on an army that wins with a minor, solid or major victory +1
    Being on an army that wins with a massacre! victory +2
    Being part of a unit that runs down a fleeing enemy +1
    Character in a unit less than 4 models Running down an enemy unit +2
    Killing an enemy non champion character +1
    Killing an enemy unit >200 pts on the charge +1
    Annihilating an enemy unit > 200 pts via Magic +1
    Raising 300 pts of models +1
    Killing an opponent Hero in a Challenge +1(+2 if a Lord)
    ???????

Character Death -2
    Every turn a character does not rally -1
    Being on an army that loses -1
    Miscast cascade causing 3+ wounds -1
    Miscast cascade causing 5+ wounds -2
    ?????

Which you can buy points out of this list:

Aspect of Cunning
    -Poisoned goblets - One enemy character takes a toughness test before the first turn of the game. If he fails, he takes a wound with no saves of any kinds allowed. This wound cannot be healed during this game.
    -Sabotage - On a 5+ one random war machine cannot fire the first turn of the game. If successful, roll again and choose another target.
    -Lame Beasts - One unit of enemy cavalry on your choice has -1 movement for the duration of the game.
    ?????

Aspect of Strength
    - Martial Training: +1 attack, this cannot bring total attacks above 10.
    - Wounded Pride - Before characters are deployed, the model with this ability may issue a challenge to a single opposing Hero/Lord level character. If accepted, both models use their highest WS or BS to make one attack with a default weapon against their opponent. No magic items, weapons, or enchantments are allowed and this wound cannot be healed or ward saved. If the challenge is refused, the refusing member suffers -1 LD for the remainder of the game.
    - Fencer: Permanently give this character Armor Piercing on all his melee attacks.
    ?????

Aspect of Endurance
    - Stone Skin: The character has a natural armor of 6+ that stacks with all other armor bonuses.
    - Alchemists Accident: The character is immune to psychology, cannot take leadership tests, and is stubborn.
    - Unnaturally tough: Character gains +1 toughness and +1 wound.
    ?????

Aspect of Cowardice, can only be bought with Cowardice points:
    - Miscast Master: When the character miscasts for the first time per game, BEFORE rolling the miscast result if he is within 6 inches of another Wizard (Friend or foe) he may attempt to 'shunt' the effects of the miscast to that wizard. Roll 4D6 and compare to the Wizards leadership + Wizard level. If the result is less than or equal to Ld + Wizard level, the new (unfortunate) recipient must roll on the miscast chart. The Gods name their price in flesh, the Wizard with this ability may never have more than 2 wounds for any reason.
    - Bleeding Thumb: Re-roll all 1's to hit/wound in close combat. The Gods name their price in speed and skill, the character focuses so much on his own blade he neglects his opponent. -1 WS and -1 Attack.
    - Strategic Advance (to the rear!): The character with this ability does not have to make leadership checks to rally, and can choose to flee or rally at will. He/she confers this ability on a CORE unit. The Gods name their price, the character may never leave the unit he begins the game in, that unit must be a CORE unit, and if he is the last man standing in his unit he gains the 'Stupidity' special rule.
    ?????

As well as this list, purchased in % army points pre-game:

Vampire Counts/Undead:
    X% total points: Undead don't crumble if they have Steadfast and a Standard bearer in the unit. In any combat where the unit loses steadfast or their standard, they then regain their Unstable special rule and crumble as normal.
    X% total points: All successful raising attempts by a Necromancer (Not NGASH, cuz balancing him is hard) in your army raises a further D6 wounds worth of models as long as it is a CORE unit.
    X% total points: In each of your movement phases roll a D3. On a 1 nothing happens, on a 2/3 you may deal D3 str 3 hits to all opposing units as the Creatures of the Night harass your opponent.
    X% total points: The first time an undead infantry unit you control charges this game they gain +1 Strength until the end of the first combat.
    ????

I need help balancing, pricing, and developing these rules to take in account other army books, playstyles, and personalities.

And congratulations! If you skipped ahead to the TL;DR part and still read this far, you read much more than a Twitter feed. Give yourself a cookie.