1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tomb-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Dead forum?

Discussion in 'The Mortal's Realm' started by Kassill, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Kassill

Kassill Ghoul

So this forum doesn't seem as UNdead as it used to be.... Anyone else still lurking the night? :vampire1:

2. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

Pretty much exclusive in the Hobby forums. Not much Kings of War talk 'round these parts.

3. Borgnine

Borgnine Vampire Count True Blood

I also stay almost only in the hobby section, there's still some movement there, from time to time... But the forum does look like it's fizzling out

Kassill likes this.
  4. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Grave Guard

Yeah, actually there are not so many discussions going on.
    I don't know, maybe I'll post a story in "Tales from the crypt", and I'll start a thread on warbands for AoS skirmish...

Kassill likes this.
  5. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard

Haven't posted here in a while. Unfortunately, I think most 9th age players are on the ninth age forum, KoW players on the KoW forums and so on. Kinda too bad but the game this website was founded to discuss no longer exists so I guess it is too be expected.

Kassill likes this.
  6. Unas the slayer

Which is a sad thing.
    We don't discuss merely our gaming system, we discuss the army we love.
    Army-related forum offered (and still offer) the opportunity to do both: basically every forum that's still active is structured to debate about fluff AND sub-forum dedicated to the main different game systems (8th, 9thAge, AoS, KoW...)

I like more to discuss about my army in a dedicated forum.

Zephyr and Kassill like this.
  7. Kassill

Kassill Ghoul

I've always enjoyed the forum for like minded individuals who love all things that go bump in the night :konrad:

True, it was Fantasy centric, but that shouldn't keep us down! Whether it's Age of Sigmar, 9th ed, mantic games, etc etc, this is a forum for all undead creatures to rise! RIIIISE!

Adam_Barrow and Unas the slayer like this.
  8. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

*rises*

sup?

9. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

If AoS ever released an actual Death release we might have something to talk about.

Farmer7574 and Zephyr like this.
  10. Zephyr

Zephyr Master Necromancer True Blood

Keeping an eye on stuff here...
    Sad to say that AoS has killed of mine, and others I played with, interest a lot and neither 9th Age or KoW haven't really picked up in my scene either.

Fantasy has really kicked the bucket over here and it has been really demotivating to finish up my VC. It's cool to have a nice display army but that isn't what I signed up for. I'm heavy into 8th 40K right now and I love it! I'm having so much fun and so many great battles with that it's bordering on criminal.

The AoS release schedule isn't helping either...even though I still am grumpy about the loss of one of my fav games and I think the rules are still meh I might have gotten into AoS eventually. The General's Handbook got me interested more and hey I still have a zillion models gathering dust right now anyway so why not?
    But...there isn't an army out right now that interests me. No VC no DE no play for me. The free rules already out since the start are flavorless.

There is hope on the horizon though, AoS skirmish is definitely something I am getting into as I feel the AoS rules are far more suited for this. Got at least nine others interested too so hopefully we're getting somewhere. I will be starting up multiple warbands and obviously one of them will be an Undead warband.

edit-and I have begun painting my first warband with new miniatures, not re-basing my old ones.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Unas the slayer likes this.
  11. Unas the slayer

That's really good news!
    Keep us informed: i can see some people dislike AoS, but skirmish is a different beast and a nice way to play quick games.

12. Irisado

Irisado Crypt Horror

Most forums have fewer active members and less posting these days, it's not just this one. Social media has hit forums very hard, as when experienced gamers stop playing or take breaks, there are fewer and fewer younger and newer players to take their place on forums, because they are all using Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, and blogs.

Speaking for myself, I've always preferred forums, but I don't log in here as much as I used to because I don't really play Age of Sigmar. I did play a game and enjoyed certain aspects of it, but I didn't like not having ranked units any more. It took forever to move large units and it discouraged me from playing any more games. The Age of Sigmar approach has worked much more effectively on 40K, and I've seen an increase in activity from members on 40K Online since eighth edition came out.

The biggest turn off relating to Age of Sigmar for me though is the narrative. It's simply awful. It's vague, uninspiring, and feels very bland. Also, the Old World map and narrative were so rich and full of depth, and I am still upset that they have been jettisoned and replaced with something so superficial and poor by comparison.

This forum was designed around the Old World Vampire Counts. It is, therefore, unsurprising that activity has suffered. There's really not much for members here to get their teeth into (pun intended) any more.

Oppenheimer likes this.
  13. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

I agree. I like the way AoS is simplified and has lots of individual unit flavour. But I don't like any of the releases since it came out except the heroes in Sylvaneth. The lore is so bad. It's just so bad. Like they are writing for 13 year olds. No depth. Stormcast are the worst and get 80% of the attention on every bit of narrative. Tiny fragments of Neferata and Nagash are the only things that interest me. With 40k having taken GWs attention off of AoS I've really fallen off it and been playing Cthulhu Wars and Imperial Assault to keep my interest with miniatures.

14. Unas the slayer

I agree to a large part with this.
    I hear people that say that WHFB fluff in the early editions was ridiculous and poorly developed, slowly evolving with the passing of time, so we should expect the same for AoS.
    My first opinion was that WHFB was born decades ago, so the whole system was in evolution... actually GW should be able to give a polished product also from that pov.
    But we are effectively seeing a slow but constant increase of fluff... for example, I still have to read it, but many dwarfs players tell that Kharadron Overlords' fluff is a step in the right direction. So, who knows?

In the meantime, there's always the effort made by players themselves. Seraphon's fluff is embarassingly simple and poor, but on Lustria online many users are developing truly interesting pieces of fluff about the nature of the "saurus that are just memories of the past, summoned by slann's will".

Of course, AoS background is not comparable to the depth of Oldworld, they're not even in the same League. And I doubt AoS got the potential to rival the old fluff, even given enough time, but I think that things will improve.

Oppenheimer likes this.