• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Kassill

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
So this forum doesn't seem as UNdead as it used to be.... Anyone else still lurking the night? :vampire1:

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
I also stay almost only in the hobby section, there's still some movement there, from time to time... But the forum does look like it's fizzling out

Reactions: Kassill

Quinten

Grave Guard
Jul 17, 2014
Haven't posted here in a while. Unfortunately, I think most 9th age players are on the ninth age forum, KoW players on the KoW forums and so on. Kinda too bad but the game this website was founded to discuss no longer exists so I guess it is too be expected.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Haven't posted here in a while. Unfortunately, I think most 9th age players are on the ninth age forum, KoW players on the KoW forums and so on. Kinda too bad but the game this website was founded to discuss no longer exists so I guess it is too be expected.

Which is a sad thing.
We don't discuss merely our gaming system, we discuss the army we love.
Army-related forum offered (and still offer) the opportunity to do both: basically every forum that's still active is structured to debate about fluff AND sub-forum dedicated to the main different game systems (8th, 9thAge, AoS, KoW...)

I like more to discuss about my army in a dedicated forum.

Kassill

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
I've always enjoyed the forum for like minded individuals who love all things that go bump in the night :konrad:

True, it was Fantasy centric, but that shouldn't keep us down! Whether it's Age of Sigmar, 9th ed, mantic games, etc etc, this is a forum for all undead creatures to rise! RIIIISE!

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
Keeping an eye on stuff here...
Sad to say that AoS has killed of mine, and others I played with, interest a lot and neither 9th Age or KoW haven't really picked up in my scene either.

Fantasy has really kicked the bucket over here and it has been really demotivating to finish up my VC. It's cool to have a nice display army but that isn't what I signed up for. I'm heavy into 8th 40K right now and I love it! I'm having so much fun and so many great battles with that it's bordering on criminal.

The AoS release schedule isn't helping either...even though I still am grumpy about the loss of one of my fav games and I think the rules are still meh I might have gotten into AoS eventually. The General's Handbook got me interested more and hey I still have a zillion models gathering dust right now anyway so why not?
But...there isn't an army out right now that interests me. No VC no DE no play for me. The free rules already out since the start are flavorless.

There is hope on the horizon though, AoS skirmish is definitely something I am getting into as I feel the AoS rules are far more suited for this. Got at least nine others interested too so hopefully we're getting somewhere. I will be starting up multiple warbands and obviously one of them will be an Undead warband.

edit-and I have begun painting my first warband with new miniatures, not re-basing my old ones.

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
There is hope on the horizon though, AoS skirmish is definitely something I am getting into as I feel the AoS rules are far more suited for this. Got at least nine others interested too so hopefully we're getting somewhere. I will be starting up multiple warbands and obviously one of them will be an Undead warband.

That's really good news!
Keep us informed: i can see some people dislike AoS, but skirmish is a different beast and a nice way to play quick games.

Reactions: Dragonet

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Most forums have fewer active members and less posting these days, it's not just this one. Social media has hit forums very hard, as when experienced gamers stop playing or take breaks, there are fewer and fewer younger and newer players to take their place on forums, because they are all using Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, and blogs.

Speaking for myself, I've always preferred forums, but I don't log in here as much as I used to because I don't really play Age of Sigmar. I did play a game and enjoyed certain aspects of it, but I didn't like not having ranked units any more. It took forever to move large units and it discouraged me from playing any more games. The Age of Sigmar approach has worked much more effectively on 40K, and I've seen an increase in activity from members on 40K Online since eighth edition came out.

The biggest turn off relating to Age of Sigmar for me though is the narrative. It's simply awful. It's vague, uninspiring, and feels very bland. Also, the Old World map and narrative were so rich and full of depth, and I am still upset that they have been jettisoned and replaced with something so superficial and poor by comparison.

This forum was designed around the Old World Vampire Counts. It is, therefore, unsurprising that activity has suffered. There's really not much for members here to get their teeth into (pun intended) any more.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
I agree. I like the way AoS is simplified and has lots of individual unit flavour. But I don't like any of the releases since it came out except the heroes in Sylvaneth. The lore is so bad. It's just so bad. Like they are writing for 13 year olds. No depth. Stormcast are the worst and get 80% of the attention on every bit of narrative. Tiny fragments of Neferata and Nagash are the only things that interest me. With 40k having taken GWs attention off of AoS I've really fallen off it and been playing Cthulhu Wars and Imperial Assault to keep my interest with miniatures.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
I agree. I like the way AoS is simplified and has lots of individual unit flavour. But I don't like any of the releases since it came out except the heroes in Sylvaneth. The lore is so bad. It's just so bad. Like they are writing for 13 year olds. No depth.

I agree to a large part with this.
I hear people that say that WHFB fluff in the early editions was ridiculous and poorly developed, slowly evolving with the passing of time, so we should expect the same for AoS.
My first opinion was that WHFB was born decades ago, so the whole system was in evolution... actually GW should be able to give a polished product also from that pov.
But we are effectively seeing a slow but constant increase of fluff... for example, I still have to read it, but many dwarfs players tell that Kharadron Overlords' fluff is a step in the right direction. So, who knows?

In the meantime, there's always the effort made by players themselves. Seraphon's fluff is embarassingly simple and poor, but on Lustria online many users are developing truly interesting pieces of fluff about the nature of the "saurus that are just memories of the past, summoned by slann's will".

Of course, AoS background is not comparable to the depth of Oldworld, they're not even in the same League. And I doubt AoS got the potential to rival the old fluff, even given enough time, but I think that things will improve.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Talking about developing and evolving, what have always bothered me most on gw is the missing efficiency and equality of their own stuff. Armys always were on completely different edition levels, so you simply aren't allowed to play a balanced game. This, and GW's copyright-nazism on simply EVERYTHING they do, and last but not least the AoS "Win by purchasing" system simply crushed every last piece of fun I had with Whfb/AoS. I changed to KoW without a way back. Lore and fluff of gw is deeper, but in many cases it also are poorly changed fairytales, legends and other stuff. That is ok of course, but not with this "You aren't allowed to use anything else but our stuff and god help you if we catch you copying our genuine poorly changed fairytales!".

Ok enough steam pushed out. I still like this forum, but I really hope to find an additional forum for KoW or at the best for undead no matter which system. Do any of you know about something like it? Maybe pm me .)

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
It's such a shame. I'm still sore on the loss of WHFB and still sore that the Blood Dragon novel never got finished, but I barely touch my Undead army now, there's just too much game to play now between Infinity, 40k, Necromunda, Dropzone/fleet, Blood Bowl... I'm beating off incoming games with a stick! And that's beside real life.

I can say two things for certain: I will never rebase my models, and I will complete my collection one day. I agree, Skirmish looks very good, maybe what AoS should have been all along.

Reactions: Farmer7574

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Nov 11, 2013
Sehnde, Niedersachsen
Most forums have fewer active members and less posting these days, it's not just this one. Social media has hit forums very hard, as when experienced gamers stop playing or take breaks, there are fewer and fewer younger and newer players to take their place on forums, because they are all using Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, and blogs.
This. And it's logical, sadly, so we can't do really anything here but to stay ourselves and still post. Internet is the Internet, after all.

And what on fluff of WHFB. It was never that deep or great, it was the weakest part of the universe and actually even in the end was quite dull, especially because it stagnated. It was based on Tolkien but was no rival for Middle Earth (or Hyboria or Moorcock in this regard). I always liked the miniatures and a bit less the game itself, but the fluff was the least appealing. Now we have high fantasy epic DnD style universe based on the Scandinavian myths and it's great, with evolving, going forth and actual developing of the plot. Moreover, the fluff on Beastclaw Raiders, Flesh eater courts and Kharadron Overlords really packs a punch and no armbook in FB is nearly this level.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
We'll have to agree to disagree about the narrative. I find the Age of Sigmar narrative as uninspiring as you found the old Warhammer narrative ;). That's okay, I'm all for different opinions. It's just a shame that we don't have more people here to post their opinions either way, but, as we've been discussing, that's currently the way of things. I agree that it's important for us to persevere and keep the forum going. Things may pick up in the future, when the wheel turns back towards forums.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Count me in.
The forum gives me things other media don't, so I will make my stand.

And there's always hope... Lustria Online is really healthy, so when GW will give us some love, we could see an increase of members.

Reactions: Menkeroth
Nov 3, 2014
I never followed Facebook and the like, but when I eventually had to test it for applying to something, I was surprised at how shallow and frankly useless it was compared to forums. With Facebook, you just had a constant flow of stuff with lousy to no ability to backtrack and search archives. Everything was just gone with the wind. With forums, you can easily find treasures in the archives all the time. Moving from forum to Facebook would be a huge step backward, and not one I'll take (got a helpful mate keeping up a FB page for me, gratefully).

The archive is a strength of forums that need to be harnessed. Mark these words: Every hobby forum should take care to compile tutorials and showcase the best of the best in easily accessible compilation subforums and sticky threads. Check out Chaos Dwarfs Online if you wonder what I mean; we have both compilation of Chaos Dwarf fan art, tutorials subsection, showcase gallery and from this year a big image salvage thread summarizing 10 years of Chaos Dwarfs Online, a manually executed emergency measure courtesy of Photobucket. The old masterworks will continue to inspire and draw new collectors and players in, just as they have done in the past, and keeping the gems easily accessible is key.

Facebook and the like don't have this fundamental feature (why the heck not?), but forums do. This is your niche. Exploit this and grow your forum into a lasting hobby resource that draws people in. Don't let your gold nuggets sink into oblivion, gather them instead for showcase.

Images apart, there's also a slew of background stories compiled in CDO's fluff section. Ideally, we'd have an updated frontpage, but no active mod have the knowhow or time to sort that feature out.

Last edited:

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Nov 11, 2013
Sehnde, Niedersachsen
It's just the flow of time. First we were using boards, then forums, then come social nets into play, now the most actual thing is messengers like Telegram, viber or skype. But anyway, forums will not die, which I am glad Tzeentch for :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu