1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Death Allegiance Save Question

Discussion in 'Ethereal Edicts' started by Oppenheimer, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

At my local GW store they are saying that I was doing the death alliance 6+ (or 5+) save incorrectly. Here's how I was doing it:

Saves Before Damage
    Opponent's 1 Attack hits
    Opponent's 1 Attack wounds
    I roll the armour save and fail the save
    I roll 1 die on the alliance save, if I roll a 6 (or 5) I take no damage.
    Attack would have done 3 damage but I do not suffer any damage since I made my allegiance save

Here's what they are saying.

Saves After Damage
    Opponent's 1 Attack Hits
    Opponent's 1 Attack Wounds
    I roll the armour save and fail the save
    Opponent says it is 3 damage from that one wound
    I roll 3 dice. If I roll one 6 and two 1s, I would still take 2 damage.

The wording on the ability is "inflicted wounds or mortal wounds". Which way does everyone else do this?

2. Payce

Payce Zombie

They are correct. The Deathless Minions trait specifies the save is for "each wound".

Undead4Life likes this.
  3. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

I'm moving this to Ethereal Edicts.

4. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

Indeed, it seems that all the special 5++/6++ saves (including wight king BsB, Chaos Warshrine, etc.) are rolled after damage multiplication.

5. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

I knew Wight king BSB was after because it only comes into effect if the model is slain by the attack. But good to know about the allegiance ability.
    It's strange to me though. I think ward saves in 8e happened prior to multiple wounds coming into effect. But I guess AoS is very different.

6. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

Yes, in AoS, ignoring or preventing Wounds happens right after you determine how many wounds a model takes (D3, D6, 3, etc). Those rules make a lot more sense than previous Ward saves from 8th, if you ask me. They distribute damage more reliably, instead of being a second filter which could not be modified.

Makes Phoenix Guard a bit more manageable for their price.