1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tomb-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Eighth Edition News

Discussion in 'Dead Space' started by Irisado, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Irisado

Irisado Crypt Horror

https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

It seems as though the new edition is going to be something of a compromise between Age of Sigmar and 40K. I certainly like the idea of free rules, as the cost of the recent rulebooks has been a major disincentive for me to get back into 40K, however, I am disappointed that it still seems to be the case that all the inappropriate scale units are going to still be allowed in the regular game, which will continue to be a barrier to me.

What do you all think of the information that has been released so far? Will eighth edition be an improvement?

2. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Grave Guard

I believe that yes, it will be.
    If I'm not wrong, the sequence has been:
    - 40k was the main seller for GW, and WHFB was suffering.
    - AoS was partially modeled on 40k (allegiances, objectives and so on)
    - AoS is selling well.
    - 40K now will be modeled on AoS.

40k can count on a large, consolidated base, and I'm sure we'll hear lamentations, but there's the undeniable fact that the entry level is high. Complicated rules, tomes upon tomes, all was combined into forming a "barrier", able to discourage possible newcomers.

An erase of the rules and of the old armybooks, and the change to a simplified version, can only attract new players, even at the cost of losing some old fan.

3. Irisado

Irisado Crypt Horror

Quite a few elements of the rules have now been previewed. For the most part, I like what I am seeing and I am optimistic that this edition will be much better than seventh edition. It may even be enough of an improvement to persuade me to play again, but I remain cautious.

4. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Grave Guard

I just saw the statline for the morkanaut. Big units will have a similar damage table as monsters do in AoS (units getting wounded and becoming less effective)

5. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard

Since all the rules have been leaked, I'm now playing a game against a GK player and I can only say a couple things:
    Dreadknight spams are as deadly as ever
    Charge after deepstrike is pretty good when your entire army deepstrikes/teleports by other means
    Combat got buffed
    Overall the game seems cleaner. I like it. Even if my face gets smashed in by 48 wounds worth of dreadknights

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Master Necromancer True Blood

Already did two playtests with the leaked rules and it's just a way better game than the bloated 7th. Too bad my 30K Word Bearers will still be stuck with 7th rules but oh well. HH works a lot better anyway.

They took the stuff that worked from AoS and left behind the things that don't work so well and, thank goodness, refrains me personally from playing AoS as it stands now.

8th edition 40K isn't a finished product however. The indexes for the armies are a clear example. They are get by lists much like Ravening Hordes once was. Most armies lost flavor; all are starting out on a baseline from where they will evolve further.
    I personally think this is a good thing, I just hope they do not make the same mistakes again. They now have a chance to do it right so no more Codex-creeps please!

7. Irisado

Irisado Crypt Horror

GW has pulled a fast one with the index books. Some will soon be replaced by codices, yet GW decided to charge for the index rules, rather than uploaded datasheets online for free. Luckily, I did not buy any of index books, but I feel for those who have. It's a shame because my other impressions of eighth edition are largely positive. It is definitely a huge improvement over seventh edition and has generated a lot more interest online than seventh edition seemed to.

8. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

Not having the rules for free like AOS was a bummer, but I think that rolling out books right away was better than the AOS rollout. When AOS came out, the biggest legitimate complaint was a lack of points and the second was a lack of printed materials. Imagine if the day AOS launched GW already had grand alliance books with EVERY existing faction. All of them would be much thicker than they are now and would have been more expensive, but would have been much more preferable to the way they actually launched it. I think this just shows that they learned from their mistakes, which means great things for us. They've said already that all future codices nullify the duplicate profiles that exist in the indexes, which shows foresight. More great things for us.

9. Lynks

Lynks Lord of RAW Staff Member True Blood

When I went and bought my indexes the staff were very insistent and clear that these would be replaced with codexes, both relatively soon and on an ongoing basis for the rest of the life of 8th edition. I think the fact that they were so upfront and honest about it makes it hard for me to hold anything against them

10. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

There's that, but there's also those players who don't expect a codex (like me, a battle sisters player) who need the indexes in order to play at all. Although I would have appreciated free rules, like AoS did, I also enjoy that there's a relatively cheap, quality printed version available.