1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Entry Thread. Turning the World to Darkness: Undead Artillery / Warmachine

Discussion in 'Dying to Help' started by Borgnine, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

And we're going again with the competition!

The Theme: Undead Artillery / Warmachine

As it says on the tin. Cannons, catapults, ballistae, trebuchets, steam tanks - crewed by undead, made of undead, powered by undead, using undead as ammunition - all kinds of artillery and engines of war are allowed as long as undead are involved ;) Those can be self-sufficient units, fillers to other units, dioramas etc. Original models and conversions allowed. If someone wants to be creative with the topic - think things like "he's more of a war machine than a man" - I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
    • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
    • Max one entry per person.
    • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
    • No voting for your own entry.
    • No model can be entered into several challenges.
    • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
    • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
    • Models can be of any manufacture and conversion, but must fulfil all the criteria of the given theme.
    • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:
    Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
    Week 7, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
    Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the miniature along with the pictures (ex: Vampire Lord or Countess Squigmachine). The thread closes on the 6th of August at (roughly) 23:59 CET.

I extended the deadline by two days of weekend, to get that last good chance to finish the entry ;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. Borgnine

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  3. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

My lucky day! I've got just the unit.

4. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Tricky one! o.o

5. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

@Adam_Barrow My supernatural senses told me you would like the theme :D :D
    @Shadespyre Yeeeehhh kind of. As Borgnine said, there's plenty of possibilities ;) I've chosen that one because of my upcoming change to KoW, where undead can have our beloved catapults and stuff, and I have one of that kind laying around here unassembled, and hope for the same motivation boost like on the last challenge ;)

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  6. Adam_Barrow

@Theerteen KoW is a blast, dude. You'll dig it.

Theerteen likes this.
  7. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

Me too!
    It won't be the most original unit ever (no conversions or captured enemy's artillery), but who cares? ;)

Theerteen and Adam_Barrow like this.
  8. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

So I had an idea.... now all I need is bits and time... no promises, though!

Adam_Barrow, Theerteen and Borgnine like this.
  9. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

unfortunately i don't think i have any unit available for this :c but if anything comes up i'll post an entry :)

10. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I found a guillotine bit in a store like 5 years ago and bought it having no idea what I would do with it. As I was building my KoW catapult, I came up with the perfect use of that catapult. I hope I get it finished in time for this.

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  11. Adam_Barrow

@Alabaster427 I mirror matched an Undead army with x3 Balefire Catapults. Brutal, man. Mine were less than pleasing the whole tournament. :pumpkin:

12. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I've had games where my catapults have done absolutely nothing. I've had others where they've effectively assassinated key enemy characters every turn. If I'm not trying to do some Bravery shenanigans, I always target them at characters.

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  13. Unas the slayer

Not that this will come unexpected from me, but here we are: my entry is a classic TK.

Screaming Skulls Catapult: "Amon-Thuth's Long Arm"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  14. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Very nice job on a classic model, you've definitely laid down a marker for us :)

Unas the slayer likes this.
  15. Unas the slayer

...which I don't doubt you will be able to surpass. I know you guys. xD

16. Adam_Barrow

I always forget how cool that model is until I see one with the bone and mummy cloth done right. Awesome!

The sandy skittles have entered the game, lads. Everybody knows my entry, just need to get the right pictures taken.

17. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

I dunno, I can't find any of the bits I thought I had so my idea might be dead in the water... :thumbsdown:

18. Theerteen

What bits would that be? I'm kinda curious what was cooking in your mind :?:

19. Unas the slayer

mmm...
    apparently, now photobucket does not allow me to post images with a direct link.
    Unless I upgrade my account paying something in the order of 60$/year.

Can you confirm that you see no more my pictures?

Theerteen likes this.
  20. Adam_Barrow

Mine's done the same in my plog. Fat chance I'm paying them anything, though.

21. Borgnine

@Unas the slayer I can confirm, I don't see any of your pictures. I am using imgur for this stuff and I never had any problems with it, if I can throw a recommendation ;)

22. Unas the slayer

Eh, it will require some time to fix it... :(

@Borgnine: how on hell do you create sub-albums on Imgur?!?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Theerteen likes this.
  23. Theerteen

Dammit, same here (of course, because I use photobucket too, and don't see myself paying this price per year) @Borgnine same question, how do you do it?

Unas the slayer likes this.
  24. Borgnine

I don't use normal albums on imgur, so creating sub-albums never occured to me, so sorry there guys.... maybe someone else can recommend a good alternative?

25. Unas the slayer

I'm slowly moving to Imgur, so I've edited the links of my previous entry.

BTW, photobucket requires 400 $ / year for the service of 3rd party hosting, which clearly I've got no intention to pay.
    In the meantime, I'm following some tech-wizards that are trying to bypass the issue... for any news, I'll keep informed the admins and users that suffered severe hits (for example, @padrissimus losed the link of more than 10 years of work)

EDIT: ok, I was going to post the same link that has already been posted in this thread. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Adam_Barrow likes this.