1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Everything said here, stays here

Discussion in 'The Beast Within' started by Mello, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Mello

Mello Hasn't left TVC for the rest of the forum True Blood

No I'm serious, it would be the most effective way of running a planet, sure people wouldn't be happy but we'll have no famines or anything, it'll be more like true communism with castes that are all equal. Seems perfectly apathetic to me.

Archi: so basically a world with both facebook for professionals and democracy? Well we're close to that and it isn't turning out well...

2. Sweeney Todd

Sweeney Todd Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Since we seem to be having a largely academic discussion, anyone ever thought about a posthuman nation?

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjF2oy6qdHg[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeoreJr4Yc&feature=related[/video]

3. Mello

While this would ultimately be the best form of society in a way, at least the most fair, I sadly doubt we'll ever get that level of technology any time soon. Also the problem with democracy is ignorance, people vote all the time on subjects they don't fully understand.

Otherwise a good idea, *sigh of happiness*, I remember the Deus Ex games, such fun

4. The Archivist

The Archivist Archivist of the word The Staff Member True Blood

And that is why information is one of the ethos ethics, so that democracy actually works.

5. Mello

There'll always be segregation and taking sides in humanity however, as long as people are different, there'll be disputes. Equally most people wouldn't want to be identical to everyone, although it would benefit humanity so much..

6. The Archivist

Really? It takes getting used to, but I find that unusual people can only make my life more enjoyable and interesting. I just have to acknowledge that each person is unique, and that until I find out the information we can't compromise in the issues we disagree on, and that usually tides me over first impressions to the true personality.
    Discrimination is only valid if it makes sense: discriminating for strength for lumberjacking is allowed, although it must be tempered with skill and knowledge. Discriminating against skin tone for social acceptance is not sensible.

7. Mello

You may, but various studies (sorry to do more psychology stuff: BBC prison study) have shown that just occupying a role (lumberjack, policeman) will make people act more like the sterotype of that role effectively. While you may find variance interesting, people who aren't interested in personalities and interaction will just find it irritating. Autism for example, lovely young boy in my school, who does odd things and holds your hand and stuff, but if you ignore that, you can have a very interesting conversation with him, Sadly no-body wants to talk to him before anything meaningful is said.

8. Sanai

Sanai Stylish Deviant True Blood

Obviously the best solution to all of our problems would be the Human Instrumentality Project.

9. The Archivist

10. Sanai

Its part of the plot of Evangelion. Basically, everyone has an empty space inside them, that we all try and fill by seeking the company and love of others right? Most people deep down want to be one with others, to not be alone. So, the solution is obvious. Cause all of humanity to leave their physical bodies and smush them together into one combined consciousness. Then no one will be lonely, and all of humanities flaws will be overcome. Well thats the idea anyway.

11. Lynks

Lynks Lord of RAW Staff Member True Blood

are we talking about the original series, the first movie remakes or the current movie remakes? :tongue: I'm not a big fan of the current re-boot so far :thumbsdown:

12. Sanai

I've only watched the original series sofar.

13. Johnny-Crass

Johnny-Crass Moderator Staff Member True Blood

We had a resident die at work today.... A tad shake. Up

14. Mello

Oh dear. Was it unforseen death or did work have to do with it? That must be pretty traumatic I imagine.

15. Johnny-Crass

We lost another one near the end of my shift. Two in a day and my first deaths on a job. PLus I had to clean them and help get them loaded. Something just feels off tonight

16. Mello

Why was it your responsibility to clean them?? If you don't mind me asking, what line of work is this?

If you're troubled about the deaths you should speak to someone about it, believe you me I know how bad holding in feelings is.

17. Johnny-Crass

I am a Cna and half to make them presentable.

18. Mello

oh ok then. Slightly odd but makes sense I guess.

Rather good topic to move onto now:

Death. Does anyone here want to be immortal? I think I would..

19. Lynks

Given the choice between eventual death and immortality I'd probably choose eventual death. Given the choice between sudden death or immortality I'd probably choose immortality. Ideally I'd want to have the ability to choose when I die instead of pure immortality.

20. The Archivist

/\
    ||
    ||
    ||
    What he said

21. Mello

Well, assuming we go for the popular view of immoratlity: ie can't die, can't get hurt etc (rather than just simply can't die, you could decapitate me and I'd be in so much pain, yet I couldn't die, that'd be torture xD) I would still go for immortality either way.

The only argument against immortality is that eventually we will get bored of life. My counter argument to that is that there will always be something you can improve on, something you haven't understood yet. That and the fact that the world is constantly changing, people will come up with new past-times and it'd be difficult to see how life could stay similiar and become boring really..

22. Sanai

Immortality would get so boring pretty quickly. I'd give it about a hundred or so years for most people. Also, the pain of living that long would be immense- a lifetimes hurt to build up over and over.

23. Lynks

Lucy-lu-lu-lu-lucifer, have you read the homeward bounders? it's a pretty cool story, even if it's for 'younger readers' by Diana Wynne Jones. :thumbsup:

And if you don't know who she is you have no place in society :frown:

24. Sanai

pfft, me and Lucifer will go and build our own society, itll be totes cooler than regular society, and we will like make it so everyone wheres black clothing and has like dark make up and stuff, and all walk around looking mopey so that regular society stays away from us, and get like lots of piercings, then we will be like totes different and unique.

25. Mello

Goth land I like it!

@Lynks I don't know who she is, and I already have no place in society. hmmmm :slapface:

But Sanai, you will outlive the suffering. Eventually the people who caused you the problems will die and you can move on.