1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Farmer's Greenskins

Discussion in 'The Faces of Our Next Meal......' started by Farmer7574, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Very good, catching up not only with undead, but with greenskins too! ;) Cool goblins! Also, I don't know how did I miss commenting on your shaman - fine job indeed! The tongue looks so realistic, the gem in the skull's eye socket is a very cool addition and you also nicely did those two shades of green :) I'd say to keep it up, but that would mean taking your attention off your undead xD

2. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@Borgnine Cheers buddy! The shaman was really fun and pretty simple to paint. Nothing too extreme but I'm happy with how he turned out.

The cool thing about night gobbos is that they don't come few in numbers. Batches of 5 or 10 will offer a nice short break between painting undead units. Right now I'm pretty happy to get back to painting skellies but I've got a really fun idea for a night gobbo unit filler in the future.

Keep one eye on this space but don't hold your breath :)

3. Pigbones

Pigbones Zombie

Nice work, man! I love the scheme. Been a WoW player off and on since Vanilla, but W3 is my favorite Blizzard game.

4. Farmer7574

@Pigbones Thanks mate! I haven't been working on my O&G much these days since I've been working on my undead guys. I am working on a little unit filler for the competition on Da Warpath though, so I'll post that if I get it done :)

I stopped playing when I moved to China before Cataclysm came out, but it was a fun game! Played from just after it's release to WotLK - fun times! My zombies were inspired by WoW & The Walking Dead, feel free to check them out!

5. Pigbones

Pigbones Zombie

@Farmer7574 I'll have to do that. I'm actually eagerly awaiting Legion. I usually play for a short time every new expansion, then take a break. Then play for a year or two, then wait for the new expansion again.

I played Vanilla to WOTLK pretty solidly, but then it became off and on.

6. Farmer7574

@Pigbones What did/do you play? My main up until TBC was an undead warrior then I started a blood elf paladin when the first expansion hit. I mostly stuck to my pala after TBC.

Vanilla to WotLK was awesome, the days before Battle Grounds were pretty funny where everyone used to 'raid' towns like Hillsbrad and Ashenvale. Since my work times weren't regular I didn't get to do much 40-man raid instancing, I did a lot of small instancing and 20-man though - they weren't too hard to find somewhat decent groups for. In Vanilla I stuck to a lot of Arathi Basin & Warsong Gulch with the PvP guild I was in. Good times!

7. Pigbones

Pigbones Zombie

@Farmer7574 My main from Vanilla to Warlords was a Priest who changed faction and race several times. During Warlords, though, I made an Undead Hunter and that has been my main since.

God. I hated questing in Hillsbrad for that very reason, ahah. I did a few of the larger instances towards the end of their time. I wasn't particularly serious about the game until Wrath. And I've had a few good serious PvE stretches, but I generally play pretty casually.

8. Farmer7574

Here's another Night Goblin Shaman I've done for a competition:

[​IMG]

Some before and after shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He was fun to make. I've magnetized him to his base as I've actually got a fun unit filler in the works that he stands on, but that's all I'm giving away for now. Expect the rest later this year :)

@Pigbones Crazy! I didn't even realize they gave undead the hunter option class. Hillsbrad ganking was a love hate situation - it sucked for questing but was fun for some outdoor PvP sport when the masses came along. :D

9. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

@Farmer7574: Awesome conversion! Sweet idea to use ghoul hand on a goblin, might have to copy that someday.

10. Borgnine

Great job turning that spear into a shaman staff, looks like natural ;) That fire (?) would probably look better in inverted colors though... still, great job :)

11. Farmer7574

Here's the next bunch of Night Goblins to get paint:

[​IMG]

After working out that I still have about 120 gobbos in boxes, I thought I'd expand on those measly five spearmen I did just before summer. These are all Skull Pass minis, which are pretty cool for single-piece models!

The champion was leaning over a bit too far for my liking, so I chopped off his base peg and positioned him on a rock to make him look a bit better:

[​IMG]

And here's the unit filler I've had in the works for a while:

[​IMG]

Made of sprue, green stuff and the Coven Throne pool, it's basically a giant cook pot with a staircase built around it for the chef. The most recently completed shaman is magnetized and can stand atop this structure. Inspiration came from this image I found on the net a while ago:

[​IMG]

I decided to abandon the cannibalism-soup kitchen theme and just opted for a few bones scattered about. I wanted to go for the hunchback chef, but I wasn't willing to invest cash in a Cairn Wraith blister just for this, and so opted for the magnetized shammy. I also added a banner too as it adds a bit more interest to the filler.

What's left to do? Shaping & detailing the pot, logs & fire around it, probably a few snots and mushrooms around the structure.

@Borgnine Thank you kind sir! He was a relatively simple and fun conversion to do :) I think you're right about the inverted fire. I may try this on the next one with green magic.

Cheers for checking out my work, feel free to comment :)

der vued likes this.
  12. Absyrtus

Absyrtus Zombie

Love the Shaman - lovely clean work and a great result! I'm not a greenskin fan, but with stuff like this, maybe I could be ;)

Really like the filler too...very imaginative! I have just used tombstones in the past but clearly need to lift my game! :)

Interesting chat about WoW. I'm the same. Loved it from original right through to WotLK and then basically gave it up. Played a bit of a Cataclysm content, wasn't that impressed, haven't been back since. The most fun bit of that for me was the Worgen opening story. But really, since BC came out, I have been a Blood Elf at heart. Have done Paladin, Mage and Warrior and it's hard to decide which I like best. Probably the mage, but the Warrior comes close ;)

Now I have the same relationship with Star Wars: The Old Republic. Love playing it but with many real life commitments, it's often down to either computer games or painting (and the odd tabletop game when the stars align) so usually, my hobby wins out.

Thanks for sharing Farmer...without exception, your work is always very much worth a look!!

13. Borgnine

Awesome filler! I had a similar idea about Savage Orcs back when ;) Clever use of that Coven Throne bit, some Vampiresses will have a hard time finding it xD That banner fits there wonderfully, I guess you have a crapton of those - so that's a piece well used. Are you planning to add spikes to the cauldron? They give it much character.

Also, those planks - are those pieces of sprue?

14. Farmer7574

Another batch of night gobbos joins the tribe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys form a nice foundation for a big unit of spears in the future, the unit now stands at 17.

I added a few colours more to these than on the gobbos I did before, a lighter red dot to each eye and a slightly lighter shade of red to the lower part of the shield to make it look as though the light is catching them a little more. I'm pretty happy with the improved appearance and will have to touch up the others when I get time.

Here's a close up of the finished unit champion:

[​IMG]

A simple conversion that's turned out just how I wanted it too. That big crazy eye really benefits from the light red dot. I enjoyed painting this batch - these Skull Pass minis are really impressive for single piece models!

The filler is still under construction, but shouldn't be too long. I'm currently working on something cool for the 16th conversion competition. A bit of a rush but hoping it turns out as planned.

Regarding earlier comments (sorry for the late reply):

@Absyrtus Seems like we have more or less had the same run with WoW, although I didn't get to play Cataclysm. I also played the same classes - starting with a UD warrior and then playing a BE pala for the majority of the remaining time I spent playing the game. I made a UD mage and leveled him to 60 for Alterac Valley fun :) I ended up getting the first two characters 3D printed as mementos of the time spent playing.

@Borgnine Glad you think the banner fits in - I didn't feel like adding a tower of soup bowls :) And yes - the cauldron will certainly get spikes and maybe a big ring on each side to show it can somehow be moved.

The structure is entirely made of sanded down lengths of sprue, save for a few bits of toothpicks used when I started assembling the platforms. My engineering skills are about that of a snot's, but gladly it seems to have turned out alright.

Cheers for taking a look and feel free to comment.

15. Farmer7574

A night goblin netter to join my spears unit:

[​IMG]

Bought last year on eBay and painted today for the Advent Challenge 2016 over on Da Warpath. The challenge is a really nice way to take a break from what you're doing, and quite nice to lavish attention on a single simple mini too.

Speaking of what I have/had in the works: upon completing this one I managed to get the final details done on my 16th Conversion Comp. entry too. Knocking them out of the park today!

Cheers for taking a look, more coming soon!

16. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

I have always envied your style of painting black clothing, it looks almost like black leather, so clean and simple yet effective. Do you use washes when painting black like that?

17. Farmer7574

Here's another random Night Gobbo - a musician to join the spears unit.

[​IMG]

He just happened to be the only suitable mini I had laying about and ready for paint when I'd realized my ethereal tests minis still needed priming, so he got done as my second Advent Challenge mini instead of the undead guinea pigs.

I got these Skull Pass bits last year:

[​IMG]

Four of them came with the Idol of Gork/Mork (which I'm just going to use as a big unit filler). I've been wandering what to do with these - perhaps just single base fillers for NG units? Maybe perched on rocks to look like mini shamanistic totems...

@Sessioni Cheers mate - It's really simple, just black edge-highlighted with Skavenblight Dinge then again with Stormvermin Fur. No washes.

Cheers for taking a look. :)

18. Farmer7574

My latest addition - a rude night goblin:

[​IMG]

Painted up for my 3rd and last entry of 2016's Advent on Da Warpath, he's an old school night gobbo that seems to prefer sacrificing his shield in favour of vulgar hand gestures. He was fun to paint.

der vued likes this.
  19. Farmer7574

Here's another old-school Night Goblin boss that I completed earlier:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My characters are really starting to tally up in this army as they're quite quick & easy to paint, and make for nice breaks in between painting batches.

I finally gave that cook pot filler some more attention:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the pot has been shaped & detailed, bubbles have been added to the contents and a snotling has been put on the base. What's left to do? Just some firewood around the pot and then green stuff fire. Not too much at all!

Cheers for taking a look, Happy New Year :)

20. benvoliothefirst

benvoliothefirst Grave Guard

I love your painting style. Really like the "graylining" on the black cloaks. very neat and tidy.

Love the cooking pot! Did you sculpt the pot yourself?

21. Farmer7574

Another one joins the horde. This time not some bickering little cave-dwelling goblin, but a black orc warboss on a giant boar.

Here is Grimbad Da Rippa:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some more shots:

[​IMG]

I built & painted him last November/December for the 16th Conversion Competition (over on Da Warpath). Since the theme of the competition was 'Armour', I wanted to create something more menacing in appearance than just a big orc in plate armour. My inspiration for this one was yet more World of Warcraft items - the Pauldrons of Might and the Bulwark of Azzinoth:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't want the spikes on the shield to look as uniform as the item in the game, so I randomly attached them to the shield instead and cut them to different lengths to make it look a bit more like it was fashioned by orcish hands.

@benvoliothefirst Thanks a lot mate. Yeah, the pot was home made. I glued the coven throne pool to part of an old small bottle which was roughly the size I wanted the pot to be, then packed it out with green stuff and sanded it down.

Cheers for taking a look, more coming in the near future.

22. benvoliothefirst

Truly inspirational! It's very uniform in its lack of uniformity ...? Meaning that it all certainly looks built by orcs. And I love stealing ideas back from Warcraft since they stole everything from GW, mwa-ha-ha!

Farmer7574 likes this.
  23. Farmer7574

Someone had a question about savage boar boys the other day so I blu-tac'd one together to help answer it. While doing so, I started thinking about alternate mounts and decided to stick him to a cold one from the dark elf scourgerunner chariot kit:

[​IMG]

I think it works pretty well. My only issue is that the mount doesn't look 'savage' enough (like saddles and reins - these guys barely even wear clothes!), so was wandering how this could be overcome. Stripping the saddle would obviously be too much of a chore, but maybe it could be covered with a thin layer of greenstuff to look like some random pieces of cloth (a bit more savage and orcish). Other ideas are welcome :)

While wolves and boars are all really cool, raptors fit in with my army quite nicely. Earlier in my plog I wrote some info about the lands that my greenskinz inhabit, which also happens to be inhabited by raptors:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Failing that, night gobbos on cold ones might make an awesome 'counts as wolf riders' choice later down the line ... :D

@benvoliothefirst Cheers mate, the conversion seems to have paid off. I think they kinda 'borrow' each other's ideas as they develop, but that's all cool - it just develops a bigger pool of ideas for inspiration :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  24. benvoliothefirst

I think for ease of sculpting, putting some scraps of fur over the reins would be easiest. Are their Dark Elves in your fluff? If so, you could also hypothesize that the orcs stole the cold ones from them, so they already had reins on and maybe just break 'em, shred 'em, like the orcs didn't quite know what to do with 'em so didn't bother to take 'em off. Saves you a bunch of sculpting. I like the color scheme though!

25. Borgnine

Those night goblins with red-black colours turned are awesome, that colour scheme makes them look really menacing. The Black Orc is even better though, your model is miles better that those presented on the GW's site - that yellow is simply horrid. You managed to make even that strange boar look great :thumbsup:

Savage Orc riding a cold one is a very interesting idea. In my opinion covering the removed saddle and reins with some furs and clothes would be the best idea. While it can be explained why they left those, it looks confusing and inconsistent, at least in my opinion. Or maybe reins could be covered with GS and made to look like ropes? Not that savage orcs worry about reins or holding anything while riding at all...