1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Farmer's Undead

Discussion in 'The Dead Shall Walk......' started by Farmer7574, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Theerteen

Theerteen Cheerful Cranium True Blood

I just can agree. I always wonder how do you do your color transitions, it looks so damn smooth every. single. time.

2. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

Four Hexwraiths all ready for some paint:

[​IMG]

And here's the Hellwraith I repositioned to make more imposing:

[​IMG]

Conversions are pretty simple – the usual forest basing, and then we have flames green stuffed on the mounts' eyes, robes and some of their snouts.

I haven't used the flaming heads yet, probably for the reason that I like the simplicity of the wraiths I've assembled here but I'm wandering whether a last minute head swap could be in order - after all they're a special unit and the flames on these miniatures is one of the most appealing aspects of them...

@Sessioni I believe that's the first time anyone's used the word 'enchanting' to describe my work. Cheers mate! :)

@Theerteen Thanks a lot mate, for most things I follow the usual basecoat > wash > layer > highlight method. Larger areas get more layers/highlights. Glad it works :thumbsup:

Cheers for taking a look.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper Black Knight

Love the Hellwraith! And just with a different pose you can distinguish that he's the leader of the unit. Nice!

4. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

With highlights smooth as yours, one doesn't need fancy freehands on the banners ;) Those skeletons look terrific! Hellwraith is also great. Did you bent the hindlegs or cut them and repositioned?

5. Farmer7574

Here we go, the four remaining Hexwraiths are done:

[​IMG]

I ended up going for a few head swaps pre-paint. I decided that the half-naked guy on the far left looked a bit too plain, so he got a flaming head with a jaw cut off - it's made him stand out much more than before.

The finished batch together:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. They've got a 'cold-as-death' aura to them, which is what I imagine wraiths as. One of the final touches that just gave them a totally different look was concentrating the intensity of the heat of the bigger flames toward their source. It's really helped to make them pop and has turned my otherwise very mediocre flames into something I've become a bit more content with.

Here's a shot of the finished unit:

[​IMG]

Really glad these guys can finally join the rest of my army, and now that they're all done I'm mulling on how I want to expand this army throughout the third year. The second-year army shot is also on the way.

@Nagash Worshiper Cheers mate. I wanted to make him stand out and look a bit more full of wrath than the others - I'm hoping that's a mission accomplished :)

@Borgnine You're too kind, sir! The hind legs weren't repositioned or bent at all - those scenic chunks of rock/earth stuck to the back hooves were just cut at an angle then I pinned them to the base for support.

Cheers for your comments chaps.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Crystal and Sessioni like this.
  6. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

Looks great! I'm excited to see your updated army pic too. Excellent work on the guy on the left. You're right, he stands out much better now.

7. Farmer7574

Here's the 2-year army shot:

[​IMG]

...compared to the previous year:

[​IMG]

Not exactly sure what I want to work on next. For a while I've had the idea of having big evil trees as a 'counts-as' for crypt horrors, so I've been looking at potentially using Kurnoth Hunters, which could work well if converted appropriately:

[​IMG]

Their size is spot on, their poses are what I'm after... and they're trees!

My rough idea right now is:
    • add spikey upward-pointing branches to areas that could benefit from them,
    • make their faces more horrifying,
    • convert their arms & hands to branch-like talons
    • get rid of all the elfy-looking stuff
    Suggestions and comments welcome, let me know what you guys think.

@Adam_Barrow Cheers mate, they're a special unit so I thought they'd better look the part! ;)

Sessioni likes this.
  8. Sessioni

Sessioni Grave Guard

I didn't even realize you have painted so much undead, good job! Kurnoth Hunters would work greatly as crypt horrors and by using the little ones as a unit filler they would make the unit look a lot better and also cheaper (money-wise). In the future you could use treeman as a Terrorgheist or as a Varghulf to tie the army together, more so that is.

9. Nagash Worshiper

Always a pleasure to see an army shot. The spirits really stand out and the way you positioned them enhanced that. Any plans to add some kind of monster? ;)
    A thought on the trees (excellent idea btw) is to swap "hands" with the dryads as some of them have very large and long slashing talons. Could work. Rest of the dryads could be used to make a unit of ghouls? Small and large trees ;)

10. Irisado

Irisado Ancient Vampire Lord Staff Member True Blood

Those Hexwraiths definitely have that aura of cold about them. They've turned out really well. The full army picture is very impressive too.

11. Borgnine

I knew those Hexies would look great and they indeed are! Awesome work, all the better to see on that army shot - black background fits your army just too well, those spirit hosts look really deathly cold on that background, truly an impressive army!

As for the treepeople - a great idea! I would use rather old metal treekin for Crypt Horrors, as they are less elvish and more gnarly, but getting them would probably much more expensive and more difficult, so that's no good. As per Nagash Worshipper's suggestion, giving them dryad talons seems like a good idea. And any leftover dryads are good ghoul replacements - just ask @Shadespyre about that ;) I also intend to buy and paint dryads for my forest army at some point - and I want to make their faces blank with just a symbol carved into them - maybe that can give you some ideas for yours ;)

12. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Hmmm, it's a good idea. I don't think those Hunters even existed when I started on my army theme, else I'd have been tempted... I can really see them working with the sort of conversions you have discussed.

13. Farmer7574

I decided to get my Forgeworld Wight King BSB ready for some paint:

[​IMG]

I've had this guy for about as long as I've had Krell (maybe 5 years) so it's nice to finally get around to working on him. I'm not too sure how I want to approach this one yet though - I'll probably end up doing the metals in the same style as my Black Knights, but something gives me the idea that he could look pretty cool in full bronze...

I've also taken the banshees off the Mortis Engine sprue and decided to play about with positioning options on single bases:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These girls have more aggressive and striking poses than the standard single mini, so I thought I'd blu-tac them to trees to see how to make that work to their advantage. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your comments everyone:

@Sessioni I'm quite happy with how the army's expanding, although I think I've been slacking a little! :D

If I go ahead and use the Kurnoth Hunters as Crypt Horrors, incorporating the big tree bloke into my army somehow had actually crossed my mind. I guess I'll have to see how the horrors turn out before scaling up the tree monster operation :)

@Nagash Worshiper I spread the ethereals out on my display cabinet shelf rather than just have one big blob of etherealness in a corner :)

I've actually bought a Dryad kit with the intention of using their parts for Crypt Horror conversions. I'm not sure if the Dryad talons will be the correct size for the Hunters though, but you've got the right idea – same style limbs rather than those sword-wielding hands.

Regarding big stuff/monsters; I've got Vargheists, a Mortis Engine, Nagash and a Zombie Dragon knocking around in boxes. My army definitely needs some big stuff now that it's been shaped up nicely with cavalry and infantry :)

@Irisado I'm happy with the effect the ethereals' colours have had army-wide. The varied use of blue has worked quite nicely – well worth the fair amount of time I spent experimenting with colour schemes :)

@Borgnine I've actually been meaning to print off some autumn forest background images for my photos, but I've just been too busy or lazy to do so.

I also considered the old-school treekin as crypt horrors, but opted against it for the exact reasons you've mentioned here. The talons are an idea set in concrete for my horrors, whether they'll be the dryad talons or made from green stuff & wire. The dryad talons seem perfectly modeled but I may want them to be bigger.

As cool as Shadespyre's ghouls are, I'm not gonna use dryads as ghouls. I really like the style of the plastic ghouls (and already have 40 of them knocking around in boxes) – they've got an awesome evil primate monster look to them.I'm looking forward to seeing your dryads come to life – when you get an idea you're always able to execute it really well!

@Shadespyre Yeah mate, they're part of the AoS releases – I think you could make them work really well in your army though (trying to get you painting some more undead!).

14. Theerteen

Ouuuuh the ASB startled me. Do it quick! But perfect! Do it!

15. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

I've already got those big old lady werewolves as Crypt horrors, as well as a whole lot of ogre sized skeletons, so I think I'll pass on more trees.

Not sure about those banshees - the aerobatic poses look a little strange individually like that. I think I'd keep them more "upright" ?

16. horrid

horrid Zombie

Those hexwraiths are killer. Wonderful painting. Love the fire.

17. Borgnine

You painting that BSB makes me a very happy man, that is surely the second best wight model out there, after Krell of course ;) I am especially looking forward to you painting the design on the banner.

As for the girls, those two on the left and right look great, the middle one is probably too acrobatic in my opinion. Not to mention the model would probably flip a lot... Will you paint them the same way as your spirit hosts?

18. Farmer7574

A quick side project - another Wight King to join the army:

[​IMG]

Probably my favourite of the classic wights; I decided to paint him in pretty much the same fashion as the Black Knights - a dark blue cape with a mix of verdigris bronze and rusty steel armour.

@Theerteen What does ASB mean? Quick at completing miniatures is something I never am, I'm afraid :)

@Shadespyre In hindsight some of those positions do look a little too aerobatic – I think the more elaborate poses could work well if the miniature was part of a diorama, but I do like the girl on the left as a single miniature.

Giving some thought to your suggestion of keeping them upright, perhaps standard positioning on shortened flying stands to make them appear as thought they're levitating slightly would work better ...

@horrid Cheers mate, glad you like 'em :)

@Borgnine Cool mate, I'll be happier once he joins the rest of the undead :) I'm not too sure how I want to paint that banner design yet - I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it :)

Regarding the banshees – my favourite pose has to be the one dashing around the tree with her hand extended, she looks pretty spooky. Putting in a bit more time & patience and going for the spirit host look will definitely make them look more striking, but I may just stick to doing the light ethereal scheme.

Thanks for your comments, more stuff in the works.

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  19. Theerteen

ASB = Army Standard Bearer ;)

20. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

Somebody's Kings of War is showing. :pumpkin:

21. Theerteen

@Adam_Barrow is it? I was pretty sure it's the same thing in Warhammer, because I learnt it here first xD but yeah. Folks, play KoW! :thumbsup::innocent:

Adam_Barrow likes this.
  22. Borgnine

I didn't expect such an old wight in your collection somehow... But he's still great, those verdigris rims on his pauldrons were a very good decision

Farmer7574 likes this.
  23. Irisado

Irisado Ancient Vampire Lord Staff Member True Blood

I have a whole bunch of classic Wights, including that one, but I've never painted any of them. The colours look even better on this model than on the Black Knights, and that's saying something. This is really impressive painting.

Farmer7574 likes this.
  24. Nagash Worshiper

Such a cool wight king! The colors work together so well! Any chance to see him standing next to his lesser "kin"?

Farmer7574 likes this.
  25. Farmer7574

I haven't had too much time for painting these days but I've managed to put together my remaining zomblins:

[​IMG]

I got a bunch of cool stuff for Christmas (O&G and VC) and want to get some of my old stuff done before working on those. These guys add up to 15 bases to kick-start a new zombie unit. Modest conversions were made just to differ them slightly from the previous ones I put together.

I've also started work on a zombie unit filler:

[​IMG]

A brilliant idea I saw in @Borgnine 's PLOG, I had to borrow it for my own zeds :) Parts used were an old TK horseman, some giant kit extras and a Mantic zombie torso. Still WIP but I'm happy with how it's shaping up.

Thanks for all your comments earlier:

@Theerteen Cheers. I was familiar with 'BSB' but hadn't heard of ASB before.

@Borgnine He's probably one of the oldest miniatures in my collection. Definitely one of my favourite old school wights, and so I wanted to add him to the army. Those deep pauldrons just screamed 'verdigris', so that's what they got :)

@Irisado I'd like to see some of your wights painted up mate. Thanks for the comment, glad the colours work well on this guy :)

@Nagash Worshiper I read through these comments a while back and intended to get a shot of him in a skelly unit for you. Unfortunately I forgot during the 6 odd weeks I hadn't touched my PLOG, so I'll make sure I get that shot in the next post ;)

Cheers for taking a look, more coming soon!