1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

FEC Alpha-strike list

Discussion in 'Summoning the Deathrattlers' started by Alabaster427, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

So I've been toying around with GHB 2017 and I've come up with what I think should be a pretty solid alpha stirke FEC list:

Delusion: Crusading Army (reroll 1s on run and charge)
    Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon
    -Completely Delusional (Can change the delusion in my hero phase)
    -Blood River Chalice (once per game, heal D6 wounds)
    Varghulf Courtier
    Battalion: Ghoul Patrol
    -Crypt Ghast Courtier
    -Flayed Pennant (once per game, add 3" to charge for all FEC within 6" and can charge up to 15")
    -Ghouls x40
    -Ghouls x40
    -Ghouls x30

Allies: Necromancer

Total 1960 points.

The ghoul patrol would be able to theoretically come in 9" away from the enemies, but only need a 6 to succeed and rerolling 1s. After they get into combat, the ghoul king can change the delusion to something that helps more in combat. Everything besides the ghoul king benefits from Vanhels and the ZD spell is a 10" aura that gives reroll wounds. With a 14" move on the ZD, he should be able to get into combat, especially with the rerolls. The Varghulf might not make it turn one, but he'll be there by turn two for sure.

If you finish deployment and decide that Alpha Strike is not the best option, the ghoul king can still change the delusion in the first hero phase. It's a 3 drop list, so chances are that you'll be able to choose who goes first.

There's also a lot of healing. The battalion allows each ghoul unit to heal D6 models, the ghast courtier heals another 5+ models (usually) within 10" and the Varghulf does the same. In addtion to healing D3 wounds each turn, the ghoul king can also heal an extra D6 from the artefact.

2. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

seems pretty solid, however i would get the ghouls down to 30 each and with the extra 120 pts and the left overs i would get 2 more ghasts and summon them with the ghoul king's ability. because if you lose your ghast and varghulf you even lose the ghoul patrol ability to heal extra (if i remember correctly), and you rarely get to attack with a whole unit of 40 and the bigger the unit the more battleshock you'll suffer.

3. Alabaster427

I did actually remove the Varghulf in order to summon it with the command ability, which would also put it on any table edge with the ghoul patrol This also makes it a two drop list. As for the ghouls, they can heal themselves via the battalion as well as being healed by the ghast and varghulf. It should be fairly easy to get them all in combat by simply attacking multiple units. I don't need all 40 going into one target.

Eyeless likes this.
  4. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

let us know how you'll perform with it please :)

5. Alabaster427

Alright, so I finally got a game in with this list and it did really well. I played against Fyreslayers (which are really tough) that had some Kharadron and dispossessed allies. Sorry in advance for no pictures.

I ran this exact list.

My opponent's list (from memory)
    2 Auric Runefathers on Magmadroths
    Runesmiter
    Grimwrath Berzerker
    Auric Runemaster

30 Vulkite berzerkers
    30 Vulkite Berzerkers
    5 Auric Hearthguard
    5 Hearthguard berzerkers

Allies:
    Unforged
    3 Endrinriggers with grapnel launcher

Total: 1940 points

We ended up playing Scorched Earth. Right off the bat, I'm worried because I only have two drops but 3 objectives to maintain and he has a deepstrike.

For some reason he decides not to deepstrike and deploys his whole army on the board, so I allow him to go first, hoping he'll spread out his army a little from his back line to allow my ghouls to come in. His force splits into to 2 factions on the left and right flanks. On my left side are a runefather, grimwrath, 30 V berzerkers, 5 hearthguard, and 5 H berzerkers. On my right are the other runefather and 30 V berzerkers. In the middle are the endrinriggers, unforged, runemaster, and runesmiter. Fortunately, the right side has a lot of space for me to come in behind him, but none on the left. He chooses the double movement rune for this turn and does a lot of buffing on the berzerkers.

I had deployed both the necromancer and the ghoul king on the center objective because I didn't want my necromancer to be such an easy target and I needed my ghoul king to be able to go either direction without allowing an extremely direct counter-deploy.

The endrinriggers move up to the middle of the board and grapnel my ghoul king. They're the only thing charging but he decides to charge the necromancer instead, leaving the ghoul king out of combat. Some crazy how, he fails all of his attacks as does the necromancer. He's not close enough to take the objective though, so that's good. He scores 3 points.

On my turn, I bring in the varghulf on the right and cast the ghoul king's spell, but fail mystic shield. I flee the necromancer as there's no sense in giving the riggers an extra combat without my death save, but he's in cover and holding the center objective. One block of 40 and the ghast comes in on his back line on the right flank next to the varghulf. Another 40 comes in behind my left objective (not claiming though). The block of 30 also comes in on the left but on my opponents flank, kind of. I shoot into the berzerkers with dragon but fail to wound. womp womp. I pop my flayed pennant and charge his runefather with the 40 block and varghulf. I also charge the berzerkers with ghoul king. I get 10 wounds through on the runefather after saves and lose 9 ghouls. The varghulf should have killed him but he made all of his saves and broke the varghulfs teeth with the keyblade. The varghulf takes 7 wounds in total but I split my attacks to kill a berzerker and he healed 2. I manage to kill 2 berzerkers with the ghoul king due to terrible rolling on my part, while taking 9 wounds on him. The ghouls on my left failed charge. I pass battleshock and he doesn't need to take it. Not a great first turn. I score 2 points (one on his side, one on mine).

I win the roll off and I'm in pretty bad shape so I decide to take the double turn.

I change my delusion to Feast Day (reroll 1s for feeding frenzy); I opted for this because the others didn't really seem that good. My ghouls are already getting reroll 1s from the ghoul king and reroll wounds from the spell. The varghulf is getting rerolls to hit and wound from the same spell. I use Blood River Chalice and heal 5 wounds and another 3 from Royal Blood (that's another grudge for the book). I cast Mystic shield from the necromancer on the ghoul king and also succeeds on the ghoul king spell. All dead ghouls come back. I move the 40 ghouls on my left to claim the objective. The 30 ghouls on my left move up to for that sweet 3" charge. ZD decides to shoot at the runemaster and kills him. In combat, I take out about 7 berzerkers with the ZD, taking 4 wounds in return. The ghouls easily wipe out the runefather but no feeding frenzy. The varghulf is rerolling all fails and successes which is kind of funny but only kills a couple more berzerkers and heals 1 wound. He takes battleshock and loses 4 more berzerkers, but he still has the 5+ ward save going forward. I destroy the objective on my right but only roll a 1. womp womp. I score 3 points. Then I realize that I forgot to charge with the ghouls on my left with that sweet 3".

On his turn, he does the +1 rend rune. He shoots a lot at the ghoul king and the ghouls on the left. He also shoots at the necromancer with the endrinriggers dealing 2 wounds. He charges his entire left faction into the 30 ghouls and the endrinriggers to the necromancer. He attacks with the hearthguard berzerkers first and kill several ghouls as I have no save for them. I strike back with the ghoul king first as he only has 8 wounds left and I realize that the claws have much more attacks than a terrorgheist does. I kill 10 berzerkers and he removes them from the ghoul king. Fortunately, he goes with the endrinriggers next and kills the necromancer. I strike back with the wounded ghouls that no longer have enough models to get the extra attack and only kill 1 hearthguard berzerker but I get 6 wounds through on his other runefather after saves. He swings back with his few remaining berzerkers at the varghulf but fails. The varghulf kills one and heals another 2 wounds. He wipes out the rest of my 30 block with the grimwrath berzerker and the runefather. I wipe out the rest of the berzerkers on the right with my 40 ghouls but there's a runesmiter with one wound left holding three of my units in combat... He destroys my center objective for 3 points gaining a total of 5, now at 8.

I win the roll off again and I can't let him take another turn. I get the reroll wounds spell off and heal 1 wound on my ghoul king. I leave change the delusion back to Crusading army. I move the block of 40 on my left up far enough to make a charge while still holding the objective. I get a 6 on the run for my crypt ghast who has just been hanging out this whole time to go to the center objective but it's not enough. I contemplate fleeing the ghouls to claim the center objective but he has two characters spaced out well enough to prevent me from getting enough models close enough to claim it. I decide it's time for some sneaky shenanigans. I scream at the farthest character (Unforged) hoping to kill it but only deal 3 wounds. Need to be sneakier... I charge my far left ghouls engaging the 4 remaining hearthguard berzerkers and the grimwrath berzerker. I pile in with the left ghouls first but I only kill 3 berzerkers and wound the grimwrath. He knows his runesmiter is a goner but wants attacks there anyways because he has no fears on the left flank. I pile in the block of 40 towards his closest center model (runeson) but fail to kill it (sneakier?!) and I opt not to kill the runesmiter so my ghoul king can still pile in. He proceeds to kill several ghouls with the grimwrath berzerker and his multiple pile-ins. For my last bit of sneaky, I pile in the ghoul king so that he can get his gaping maw to attack the runeson and I'm able to kill it claiming the objective. I also kill the runesmiter. I decide to not destroy the objective as I will still have it in my next turn and gain 2 points. I'm left with 24 ghouls on my left flank. I'm now at 6 points

On his turn, I don't remember what rune he used. He ran the endrinriggers to claim my far right objective but didn't get far enough He moved his runefather towards the ghouls on my left. He moved the Unforged in for a charge on the ZD and the Hearthguard to be in range of shooting. He shoots at the ZD and brings it down to 6 wounds. He shoots the magmadroth at the ghouls and kills 5, removing their extra attacks, but remove them to make his charge longer. He charges the runefather at the ghouls and the unforged at the ZD. He goes with unforged first and gets 5 wounds through after saves, leaving the ghoul king with 1. I go with the ghouls next and kill the last hearthguard berzerker but fail feeding frenzy. He goes with the grimwrath next and kills 8 with the double pile in, but I remove the runefather from combat even with his pile in. The 40 ghouls fail to strike down the unforged so the ghoul king does, but the unforged deals a single mortal wound back before being removed and I fail the save. I lose 4 more ghouls to battleshock, leaving 6 on the objective. He gets 1 point for a total of 9.

He wins the roll off but gives me the first turn.

I heal back 3 ghouls on my left and the ones in the center are already at 40. I'm now locked in with crusading army which isn't terrible but I am wishing I had the rerolls against heroes now. I move them up to block him from getting the objective on his turn but still holding it. I move the varghulf up to engage the hearthguard and the ghouls and ghast just kinda shamble forward. I get the charges off with the ghouls and varghulf thanks to crusading army and wipe out the hearthguard. The varghulf is now only missing 2 wounds. I destroy his center objective for 1 point. womp womp. I am now at 8.

On his turn, he moves his runefather back to support the 30 berzerkers getting flanked on their left (my right). The endrinriggers move onto my right objective. He doesn't do any combat and destroys my right objective for 2 points, bringing him to 12.

My only hope is to win this last roll off, take his last objective, AND roll a 5 or 6 when destroying it to maybe get a minor victory. He wins the roll off and takes the double turn, ensuring his major victory.

I could have done a couple things better, but only getting one point for each objective destroyed really hurt. I think the only thing I would have changed would be to summon the varghulf on my left flank in order to give those ghouls the 6+ death save. Forgetting a charge also hurt (probably). Summoning 2 ghasts instead (one for each ghoul unit) would have been good also, but I don't think it would have changed the end result. Again, it's hard to keep up when you score 1 point every time you roll a d3 and your opponent doesn't.