1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tom-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Flee before me!

Discussion in 'Summoning the Deathrattlers' started by Unas the slayer, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

Living dead are THE supernatural horror, by tradition living beings are terrorized by the mere sight of undead legions.
    So, I was thinking on a list based on this idea.
    As I wrote in my first post in the fresh blood subforum, I know well Tomb Kings and I'm less used to VC, so I would really like to hear your comments about this list, which may work or not, but it seems fun:

1500 pts.

Banshee - general (supernatural horror / cursed book)
    1 x Necromancer
    2 x Screaming Skull Catapult
    1 x Terrorgheist
    1 x Mortis engine
    6 x Crypt flayers
    2 x 10 zombies
    2 x 5 Dire wolves

The idea here is to exploit that sweet -2 to bravery granted by tomb kinkgs' SSCs (skullapult?), given that they don't need to successfully hit for the effect to kick in.

Banshee, Terrorgheist, crypt flayers and Mortis engine all inflict mortal wounds rolling against enemy's bravery, and the last one does it to all units within a variable range. You'll deliver a nice amount of attacks vs bravery, and you should be able to inflict some serious damage. At that point, the general trait "supernatural horror" (that usually is suboptimal) should increase enemy's losses.
    tnx to the-1 to hit granted by the cursed book and the possible +1 to save by mystic shield, your banshee should be enough resilient... and anyway the reliquiary of the mortis engine can cure wounds to the banshee and also to the terrorgheist, to keep it within that juicy level of "terror shriek with 3 dices".

The zombies are just the battlelines tax, keep them as screen to protect the SSCs.
    With the remaining 120 pts, i picked the 2 units of wolves, which are there merely to run on objectives or to screen from unwanted charges your most precious and mobile units that are haunting the battlefield.

Thoughts?
    any feedback will be appreciated!

Wolf Child likes this.
  2. Aranei

Aranei Ghoul

I approve your theme choice. You can have trouble againnst chaos daemons, seraphon and death, while having a lot of fun otherwise.

Speaking of your list, I can say the following:

1. Consider an Abhorrant Ghoul King on a Terrorgheist from the Flesh-Eater courts instead of a regular Terrorgheist, the rider gives the beast a lot while also having a nice spell for buffing Flayers' durability.

2. Banshees are useful, especially when combined with the scull-a-pults, and you should brobably take more than one in your list but making one your general is probably not the best idea. A flying horror vampire lord can be a better general (Blood feast on Terrorgheist anyone?), while casting spells and drinnking from his chalice, getting into melee with his Supernatural Horror and Cursed Book only when it's safe. Or you can make an Abhorrant on Terrorgheist your general, really.

3. Did you knnow you can have your wizards summon banshees suddenly for your opponent and make the ghostly ladies scream right after that?

4. Dire wolwes are not very useful, especially without a Corpse Cart. Flying units (bats, cairn wraiths) can both score and screen better.

3. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

Tnx for your input!

At 1500 pts, i can easily discard the wolves, but it's 120 pts, which are not enough for the vampire... and the "upgrade" (ghoul king) on terrorgheist Leaves me with 40 unspent points, which is not a thing i like so much.
    I could discard also the mortis engine, so the list would be something like this:

vamp. lord - general (supernatural horror / cursed book)
    2 x Banshee
    1 x Necromancer
    2 x Screaming Skull Catapult
    1 x Terrorgheist w ghoul king
    6 x Crypt flayers
    2 x 10 zombies

yep, when i play i keep their points in the reserve pool

4. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Ghoul

UPDATE

Tournament incoming, 1 day long, may the 7th.

I've decided to keep true the spirit of the list, but with some little variation to make the army more flexible.

Vampire Count - general (probably ruler of the night) - 140
    Ghoul King on terrorgheist (cursed book) - 400
    3 x Banshee - 240
    1 x Screaming Skull Catapult - 160 (pts from GHBII)
    2 x 10 skeleton warriors (Battleline) - 160
    1 x 10 Skeleton horsemen (battleline) - 100
    1 x 5 Hexwraiths - 160
    1 x 5 dire wolves - 60
    reserve pool: 80 pts

Obvious strategy: exploit SSC to blast w banshees and terrorgheist.
    Use the GK on TG as main hitter, hard to kill with healing and spell that saves at 5+, buffed b the command ability of the VC
    Hexwraith (a sufficiently resilient unit, that can deal some damage) can go alongside with the VC or the GK
    sk warriors can screen the SSC or sit upon nearby objective
    sk horsemen and dire wolves can act as fast screen or run for distant objectives
    the 80 points in reserve can be used to summon a 4th banshee or a couple of swarm bats (depending on circumstances)

thoughts?