1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Flesh Eater Courts "glitch"

Discussion in 'Ethereal Edicts' started by Demian, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Demian

Demian Vampire Count True Blood

Hello all!

So, the new rules for the Grand Alliance of Death are out and, well as per usual, GW decided to glitch some of their rules even when revisiting them.

Abhorrant Ghoul King's Lord of the Flesh-eaters command ability: "...you can add 1 to Hit and Wound rolls for FLESH-EATER COURTS units..."

Crypt Ghouls's Unholy Masters ability: "you can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for units..."

So how should we solve this?

If you add 1 to Hit rolls with the command ability, you can no longer re-roll 1's from the Unholy masters ability (because those 1's are actually now 2's, as per the unending additive bonuses in AoS. 2's are 3's and so on and so forth)

OR

Do we, roll first and see the result. Decide to use the Unholy Masters rule to re-roll all 1's you see, but other results can be buffed with the command ability in the middle of the roll. Then, on the second and final result, apply the command ability to the re-rolled results as well and gather all successful hits?

This is but an example of it. I've seen many effects that allow you to re-roll 1's on units that have one or more +1 to Hit results modifiers. The same applies to SAVE rolls and, lets say, Mystic Shield's modifier.

What's the general consensus on this matter? Do you allow the double buff from these examples, or do you force players to choose which one will apply first, and then which other one?

2. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

You roll a 1. You will reroll it if buffed. The one they mention is the natural one on the die. The calculation of +1 is done after you've reacted to the natural result of the die.

3. Demian

I apply it like that as well, but... well, nowhere does it say anything about natural rolls and modified rolls.

Just a heads-up if you ever encounter something like this in a tournament and find yourself in a sticky situation D:

4. Malisteen

Malisteen Master Necromancer True Blood

By default, all re-rolls are applied before modifiers, unless the reroll is specifically triggered by the result. Ie, effects that let you re-roll ones re-roll before adding bonuses or penalties, while effects that let you re-roll misses have to wait until after because the attack hasn't hit or missed until after.

This is sadly, another rather awkward aspect of the rules, but since this is AoS no further clarification will be coming, so...

Demian likes this.
  5. Sanguine Carrion

Sanguine Carrion Zombie

I don't have the book with me at the moment, so I'll be going by your description.
    "...you can add 1 to Hit and Wound rolls for FLESH-EATER COURTS units..."
    The keyword here is "can" - you don't have to do it. So if you roll a 1, you choose not to add 1 to this Hit roll, so you are allowed to re-roll.
    Then you can still use the +1 on your re-roll, since it's still a Hit roll.
    That's my interpretation of it anyway.

6. Crystal

Crystal Grave Guard

Oky to end this negativity pg.1 of the Age of Sigmar Rules Under the heading Tools of War the very bottom paragraph

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar uses six-sided
    dice (sometimes abbreviated to D6). If a
    rule requires you to roll a D3, roll a dice
    and halve the total, rounding fractions up.
    Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll,
    which means you get to roll some or all of
    the dice again. You can never re-roll a dice
    more than once, and re-rolls happen before
    modi ers to the roll (if any) are applied.

It is actuay clearly stated ^^"

The Sun King, Eyeless, Demian and 2 others like this.
  7. Demian

Thanks! I accept my noobness .o.

Oppenheimer likes this.