1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Fresh Blood from Australia (seeking advice)

Discussion in 'Fresh Blood' started by Count Berenthor, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say hello and hopefully eat the brains of a few of you in relation to an army!
    I was a Bretonnian player for several years (4K Army) and I also have a Wood Elves (6K) army to align with the whole Lady of The Lake etc.

Alas though, it's the darkness that has now taken me!
    I only really play WFB 8th edition, and am just astounded at the VC models! They're just amazing.

So I decided to start collecting.
    Does anyone know where to start on this? And what the staples of a good list?
    I know this is a really broad question, but might give me some insight as to where to go!

I'm assuming my first models will be skeletons, Zombies or ghouls?
    Also a Vampire Lord is obviously in there!

So I'll start reading through the 8th edition book and hopefully I can get some help from the counts here!
    Appreciate it!

2. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Welcome Count Berenthor!

EBay or the Start Collecting boxes are a reasonable place to start for a healthy balance of fun stuff and the beginnings of those big blocks of infantry you'll need to build up, while providing a little economy. A lot of people rate Mantic's models for cheapness and reasonable quality; I've gone for a lot of the 5th-6th Edition metal because I love the aesthetic but it wasn't cheap: skeleton halberdiers, mummies, grave guard, black knights and ghouls, all from eBay.

I'd recommend picking up and building what you're excited by now, and making a shopping list for where you want to be in a month or two. If it were me I'd sort out my general, a couple of necromancers, a block of what would piss me off the least to build, some spirit hosts and black knights, and some vargheists or a mortis engine. Seriously consider eBay if building in volume isn't your thing, it's saved me days' worth of glueing and base coating!

3. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

Thanks for the advice Dragonet.
    I don't mind the hard work or painting, so I'll try to piece together something nice.
    I'll have a look on eBay and see what I can pick up as well though if already assembled.

I'm guessing I will need some Zombies and Skeletons to start at least, and then build my way from there.
    The models are fantastic and the Mortis Engine and Corpse Cart are my favourite, but just hard to buy those models up front when I know it doesn't make sense to field them in 8th edition without Skeletons etc.

Was also thinking a Terrorgheist as well?

Dragonet likes this.
  4. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Definitely, between the core options you can't go wrong, they'll all come in handy although many would say the Dire Wolves are indispensable, and I'd push for a block of Skeletons; sword and shield is a solid build with that parry save.

Terrorgheists are lovely models and very good on the battlefield with their scream, a definite yes there! Mortis Engine is so powerful with that bonus to casting, and though U struggle to get the Corpse Cart where it's needed, ASF is also really powerful in 8th.

Do you have a theme in mind, or a specific play style you want to use?

5. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

This is all perfect Dragonet, really appreciate the help.
    About to make the first lot of purchases, so pretty excited.
    I'm thinking some Skeletons to start with and a Master Necromancer.
    Then maybe some Crypt Horrors as well, and a Terrorgheist. Had any luck with those?

Finally, the Mortis Engine as it's just gobsmackingly good to look at!
    I don't care what it does on the battlefield, I'll just hide it so I can look at it for six turns! Haha.

Dragonet likes this.
  6. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

This is all perfect Dragonet, really appreciate the help.
    About to make the first lot of purchases, so pretty excited.
    I'm thinking some Skeletons to start with and a Master Necromancer.
    Then maybe some Crypt Horrors as well, and a Terrorgheist. Had any luck with those?

Finally, the Mortis Engine as it's just gobsmackingly good to look at!
    I don't care what it does on the battlefield, I'll just hide it so I can look at it for six turns! Haha.

Dragonet likes this.
  7. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

I've not tried Crypt Horrors yet I'm afraid, they're supposed to be a good solid anvil unit with T5; the Mortis Engine's buff to Regen also adds nice synergy to them.

8. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

No problems, any advice is good at this stage!
    I have a friend who collects them and he thinks that two Mortis Engines are the way to go.

I'll start with the skeletons and work my way from there I think.

Dragonet likes this.
  9. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

Good luck!

Count Berenthor likes this.
  10. Count Berenthor

Count Berenthor Zombie

Hey guys,

Just touching base on this.
    Ended up buying a few different models, and just wanted some feedback on where to expand?
    Still have a way to go!

40 Zombies
    20 Skeletons
    10 Dire Wolves
    Corpse Cart
    Strigoi King on Terrorgheist
    Master Necromancer
    Vargheists x 3
    Crypt Horrors x 3
    Spirit Host x 3

Any help would be appreciated!
    PS. Put a picture of the skeletons below, happy with how they turned out!

image1.jpeg

11. Quinten

Quinten Grave Guard

Looks like a good start. To expand you defintley want to get some more skeletons as a unit of 20 is pretty small, try taking your strigoi king off the terroghiest as the terroghiest is better on its own. You could also considering getting some varghiets/crypt horros. I find 4 varghiets and 8 crypt horrors are good units sizes.