1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Frostgrave - Adventures in the Frozen City

Discussion in 'The Faces of Our Next Meal......' started by Shadespyre, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

My gaming buddies have been playing a lot of Frostgrave, the fantasy skirmish game which isn't Mordheim reinvented at all, honest... ;)

I played a few games with Warhammer minis, and it seems fun, so I thought I'd invest in some minis specially for the game. Although the rules assume that all characters are human, I thought that Halflings would make a nice change, especially as I recently discovered new minis from Midlam Miniatures and Stonehaven Miniatures.

So here are my first halflings... nearly finished, just a few extra touches required...

Elementalists

[​IMG]

Halflings-at-Arms

[​IMG]

"Archers"

[​IMG]

Thieves and Warhound

[​IMG]

The pictures highlight a couple of touch-ups that need to be made, and I also want to do more work on the snow. It has shrunk as it dried and I think a second coat would improve the appearance. But you can see what I'm aiming for I hope...

2. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer Crypt Horror

Nice! I played my first game of this a couple weeks ago too. Really enjoy the ruleset. Was worried it would be complicated but it's nicely streamlined. The only thing that bothers me is that although you can bring an army of whatever you want (model wise) I don't feel comfortable bringing skeletons and zombies etc because there is actually an undead class with special undead rules that wouldn't apply to them. The game would still consider them mortal. But, I can at least bring a couple necromancers and some mortal dudes and summon a zombie. You can also turn into a Lich or a Vampire which is nice.

3. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Well, it would be confusing to use Skeletons and Zombies as your warband because there are separate rules for them as independent critters or created monsters. But as long as the models are differentiated it would be okay. Perhaps use basic models for "monster" undead and "posh" ones (graveguard etc) for your warband? There are no rules for Halflings, I'm just going to treat them the same as human models.

The rules are very simple, and surprisingly deadly for starting characters. I only played three games (with a necromancer warband) but the range of spells gives lots of tactical variations. Also the fact that you start play with a MAXIMUM of 10 models makes it really easy to paint / model a new warband. I keep picking up models and thinking, "ooh, Frostgrave idea!"...

Oppenheimer likes this.
  4. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Update - some brightly coloured Elementals, in case my Elementalists fancy messing around with Demon Summoning or making Constructs. Two of each size as each spell caster can have one each at any given time. Not sure how well the blue fire works, but for now these are only a fun distraction anyway.

[​IMG]

Wasn't sure whether to add snow to the bases (because, fire!) but I think they look a bit dull without it.

Also in progress - a few more Halflings and some more animals.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  5. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Here are some animals as promised... a wolf and a bear, both ancient Ral Partha designs...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And something a bit more fun. a Snow Troll from Heresy Miniatures...

[​IMG]

FIGHT!!!

[​IMG]

I really need to paint a couple more halflings, but I've waited ages to do this troll!

Oppenheimer likes this.
  6. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Ghoul

Some nice looking stuff there! Never tried Frostgrave, mind you the total nuber of people near me that play anything is 0..

7. Farmer7574

Farmer7574 Vampire Count True Blood

@Shadespyre Cool elemental and beasts, your painting style really suits the character of the miniatures.

8. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

My favorite one is the snow troll... :)

9. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

More reinforcements...

My Captain and an Apothecary / Witch

[​IMG]

A Ranger and a Knight

[​IMG]

A Barbarian and a Templar

[​IMG]

And a second Bear...

[​IMG]

Again, I've rushed to get these posted, so the snow needs a dusting of white paint once it has thoroughly dried, and some of the models need touch ups around the faces again. I may brighten up the Apothecary's pet snake and paint the bottles as glass with visible contents, too. I think this would make the model stand out more if I wanted to use her as a Wizard or Apprentice rather than as a minion.

When I get chance to tidy them all up I'll post some new pics of everyone together!

This is now most of the Stonehaven Halflings painted, more than enough to play some games with and take into account hiring better warriors after the first game. I've also got a whole bunch of Midlam Miniatures Halflings, with many more Wizard and Apprentice options, as the next step of the project.

10. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

The whole gang on their little display / carry tray

[​IMG]

I have made no effort to make the bases match the tray pattern, the fact that a couple can match up is coincidence. I thought about it, but then you have to put every model back in the same place every time.... seems needlessly fiddly!

And updated (final?) pics of all 15 Halflings

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Unas the slayer

The templar is beautiful. Love the armor skirt. :)

12. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

Quite a bit of work on those ;) You have given much character to those guys - I think I like the ranger the most, but that troll is awesome as well of course ;)

Still, I cannot believe that people are making so many different halfling miniatures ;)

13. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Glad you like them, they really are lovely models to paint. Some of the "character" comes from the random facial expressions that my painting creates, I wish I had more control over that! :D

Halflings are really popular in RPGs, so there are lots of great character miniatures for them like these and also from Reaper, though not so many suitable for Warhammer perhaps. I have about the same number of Midlam Miniatures halflings still to paint! I plan to make and fill another 15 space paved display tray, and also to do similar trays for the animals and monsters. And I may do some treasure chests and similar small scenery on the same bases, too.

Other useful miniatures for the game would be a couple of zombies and golems, which you can create with spells, and then there are plenty of monsters that inhabit the city of Frostgave as well. Lots of potential fun! :)

14. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

A couple of additions...

A second ancient Ral Partha wolf (actually re-based from my Empire army!) and a second war hound ( a very old Chronicle cast, I think)

[​IMG]

And some treasure chests, very important to the Frostgrave gameplay and also fun little projects

[​IMG]

15. Unas the slayer

Beware the dreaded mimic! xD

16. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Haha, yes! I should definitely make a mimic!

17. benvoliothefirst

benvoliothefirst Grave Guard

18. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Those are pretty darn cool! :)

I made a few more things, here's a second storage / display tray made to take various critters. Really, these are more work than the miniatures, but I think they look pretty cool. Will probably make a second like this, and a second one for even more halflings...

[​IMG]

Oh yes, I ordered even more halflings, so keep an eye out for those in future...

The Frozen City is all about hunting for treasure! But sometimes the only difference between "treasure" and "scenery" is how much you can lift!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My first go at adding the snow effect to something other than the floor. I think it works okay?

Always worth repeating my Statue tips:

Don't use minis from the game system you are playing - different style, scale and sculpt will make them look more like statues and less like petrified people
    Don't make plinths from gaming bases - it's easy, but they will always look like gaming bases...
    (Older) single piece minis look more statuesque than (modern) multi-part ones
    Static poses may look better than active ones, depending on the subject matter.
    Damaged minis make great ancient statues - use the parts as scatter scenery, or hack the mini up to make a bust

Finally - always think "why was this statue made?" Statues are expensive, so why is there a statue of an orc, or a peasant, or a guy carrying full adventuring gear.... I think any scenery project benefits from a story, actually.

19. benvoliothefirst

benvoliothefirst Grave Guard

Tips to live by, and I agree about anything benefiting from a story.

20. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

Nothing new to show here just yet as I'm busy with other hobbies and with Space Marines, but I did pick up a few Undead minis to add to this project recently, so there will some more familiar faces (or lack thereof) to look at in future.

21. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

A quick trip back to Frostgrave to paint a few Undead, as promised...

[​IMG]

These are all Citadel Miniatures from the mid to late 1980s. The one zombie has a plastic sword in place of the rather silly enormous mace it was designed with, which made the model a little too cartoony for my liking.

22. Shadespyre

Shadespyre Necromancer

A tiny Frostgrave update, these chests are from Last Sword Miniatures in Spain.

[​IMG]