1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Undead pals over at tomb-kings.net have started a casual painting/modelling competition akin to our own "Turning the World to Darkness" challenges. If they are not enough to slake your thirst, you can find out more about Khemri's newest creation here: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/painting-challenge-on-khemri-forum.30854/#post-445673
  3. Big changes are coming to Age of Sigmar! Narrative battles, points and a Book! What does this mean for the Vampiric hordes?!
  4. The 9th Age, the fan made rules alternative, has had it's rules updated to version 1.3! What changes could this bring for our fellow vampires?

Generals handbook 2017

Discussion in 'Gateway to the Realms' started by El Syf, Jul 27, 2017.

1. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

https://www.warhammer-community.com...erals-handbook-2017-july27gw-homepage-post-3/
    So having gone through the article it looks like we are getting some good stuff, Night haunt in particular just got more interesting with hex wraiths counting as battle line if you have that allegiance. Also there is a rather vague mention about bloodlines! But I'm trying not to get to excited about that. We still need our wizards to be able to cast more spells than summoning and the two anyone can get. But it seems pretty good so far.

2. Malisteen

Malisteen Vampire Count True Blood

No allegiance-level spell lores, which is a huge disappointment to me.

Everything in the deathlords faction got at least 20 points cheaper, up to Nagash who is 100 points cheaper.

Ghouls get a variety of faction traits which should let you tailor your army a bit. Looks pretty fun. Reference to some sort of feeding frenzy rule not yet shown.

hexwraiths are battle line for nighthaunt armies - possibly instead of spirit hosts?

Nighthaunt armies get a 'deep strike' option that lets their units set up anywhere from reserve so long as a wraith or banshee is on the table. Need to roll a 3+ for each unit, though. Wouldn't shock me if this replaces their summoning spells.

soulblight will get bloodlines, to be previewed in a future article (necrarch-esque and blood-dragon-esque options mentioned)

apparently units will get a points discount when taken at their max size. If skeletons remain as they are, that would be pretty disgusting, though I fear we'll see the existing 'hoard bonus' for skeleton warriors nerfed in some way, either in this book or a future one.

Not too much info. None of what's there is bad exactly, but I'm mostly disappointed about what isn't there - spell lores in particular.

3. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

I'm hoping you can take hexwraiths and spirit host as battle line, getting a mourngul shortly so nighthaunt is looking better all the time.
    Most of the spell lores have been battletome specific though and we only have flesh eater courts as it stands, we will probably get something if and when we get a battletome for another faction.

4. Malisteen

The only such battletome we even expect any time soon is deathrattle, and they don't have any wizards. The units that would most want a lore are necromancers, and they're not in a big enough subfaction to get a tome... ever.

5. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Grave Guard

leaving aside the lack of Deathrattle, which is a big disappointment, the other news are exciting.
    Especially given that lately i'm playing both soulblight (see my last BatRep) and Nighthaunt.

I really hope they will keep spirit hosts as battleline for nighthaunt... to have only a battleline would be very bad.

6. Malisteen

I mean, nighthaunt already has only one battle line, you'd just be trading a good unit for a mediocre one.

Honestly, the most exciting bits in the article are allies and max unit discounts, and neither of those are even specific to Death.

7. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

A plausible reason for leaving Deathrattle out is that they are going to get their own battletome later on (still hoping for this year, possibly around Shadespire drop). FE already has a book and there's no real need for Nighthaunt or Soulblight to have their own tomes.

8. Alabaster427

I just hope Tomb Kings aren't getting axed. I didn't see a section about compendiums in the Table of Contents, but that could be because they decided to put the compendium points in the pitched battle points under each allegiance like they should have done in the first place. I need those catapults...

El Syf likes this.
  9. Infernal Skull

Infernal Skull Wight King

In the table of contents that they previewed, the Death points section is only two pages, which is the length of what it was last time without any of the TK stuff. I'll bet they dropped the TK stuff from the points listings altogether, even the stuff that they previewed points for. Remember, those points were a trial example and "subject to change." Eliminating them from the listing is indeed a change from what was previewed.

At the very least, they will only list the TK units with updated points, and leave the remainder "available" in the previous Handbook. And by "available" I mean "eventually out of print." And in the 2018 book there will be zero TK stuff.

The only hope at this point is that some of the TK staples like archers and chariots get rolled into a Deathrattle book with new models.

10. Unas the slayer

That would be another hard blow for my poor TK...

11. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

if they really axe TK from competitive play i'll consider stop playing altogether. i'm already fed up with all the new releases being op so much that the old armies don't even stand a chance against them.

Edit: i found an official comment from their part on their facebook page, but what it means exactly i don't know. Here's the comment:

"Warhammer Age of Sigmar Don't worry guys,
    If you have a Compendium-based army, you'll still be able to use it after this book comes out."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  12. Unas the slayer

That's good to hear, and I want to believe it, but i think I'll wait until I'll see it.

13. Alabaster427

I think one thing that will definitely happen is that the most recent warscroll trumps older versions in Matched Play. In the newer battletomes, that's clear, but in the older ones like FEC (which I don't own, so I'm not 100% on) they don't. As far as I can tell, I can still use either version of the Crypt Ghouls, Horrors, and AGKs, being the ones in the Death grand alliance book and the FEC book.

I'm glad they're limiting artefacts to only one copy per army and I REALLY hope they either fix or nix the Ring of Immortality.

Oppenheimer likes this.
  14. Eyeless

Eyeless Wight King

According to their latest comments, compendium armies won't be in the book, however they'll still be playable and still have points for matched play with some of them revised. My guess is that these would be an FAQ or a downloadable in a similar.

Oppenheimer likes this.