1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

How should I build my Vampire counts models? (Weapons)

Discussion in 'The Teachings of Abhorash' started by SpookyScarySkeleton, Oct 28, 2015.

1. SpookyScarySkeleton

SpookyScarySkeleton Zombie

Hello,

Just recently picked up a Mantic Undead army force.

40 Skeletons with command

30 Zombies

20 Ghouls

10 Mummies

20 Revenants (graveguard)

The question I have is how I should build my skeletons? Should I go with spears or HW/Shield if I plan on going back into playing WHFB.

What are the benefits of both? Models have been sitting on my desk while I try to sort out this dilemma and I want to get to building so I can have something fun to do on halloween. (paint some skeletons)

2. Mad 'At

Mad 'At Dumb enough to work Staff Member True Blood

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

In 8th edition it was generally considered better to use Hand Weapons and Shields. Getting a few extra attacks from the spears was not worth it compared to the extra staying power you received from parry. There is one exception though, if you have Mortis Engines in your army, then spears is the superior choice. With regeneration from the engines the parry is not used against the majority of close combat attacks anyway, so you can get both the extra attacks and the staying power with that army build.

Hoping to see those skeletons in a plog in The Dead Shall Walk sub-forum btw ;)

And I'm moving this thread to Teachings of Abhorash, tactical discussions for 8th edition and fan made rule sets continuing that line goes there.

3. SpookyScarySkeleton

So in terms of the two units of 20 skeletons. Would you recommend building them as two separate squads with full command or just making one huge block of 40 skeletons?

4. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

Definitely one big block. Full command and shields. That's a unit to deliver a killy Vampire Lord and his Hero retinue.

Dragonet likes this.
  5. SpookyScarySkeleton

So 3 command models

18 with spears
    19 with Swords/HW

Or should I just build both units with full command and buy another box of skeletons later to buff them up.

hmmm

6. Leithel

Leithel Grave Guard

Well unless you're multibasing I'd suggest building the command and just not using them when you go with one big block. That way you have choice should you decide to try an invocation army with lots of smaller units at the start or something like that. If you build both, you can put the other at the back when you play I suppose, but I'd recomment HW/S for no other reason than the mantic models just look better with HW/S.

Oh and if you're innovative those 40 skeletons in a box can easily make 50 models. Same for the zombies.

Dragonet likes this.
  7. Ohcyt

Ohcyt Zombie

Mix it up. your front row can dictate the unit composition. Editions change. Be the net, not the tiger.

8. Dragonet

Dragonet Wight King

I'm playing almost exclusively in 8th; I rarely use more than one set of command but I've got 3 or 4 for each core regiment because the only other option is to throw them away or sell them. I give mine different musical instruments, different (metal where possible) champions and different banners to represent as closely as possible the different magic banner options as I like to be as WYSIWYG as possible.

9. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Ghoul

I've always felt that spear and shield skellies was underrated. Fair enough if you play more tourneys, but mine have never failed me. The extra rank attack does really help. 25-30 ( Inc comm) in a unit is enough. Always give them full command too.