• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Just expect the worst.
That way, there is no risk of disapointment, and anything good is a pleasant surprise.
I have read in the white dwarf that this is the biggest most massive warhammer rule book ever made.

On free magic stuff, well, they did release spearhead for free, so perhaps GW being all nice and stuff is going to be a trend.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I was thinking that Dwarfs will be really good in this edition. The tough little buggers actually have decent offensive stats, but it was mainly the lack of attacks that let them down. Now with the extra step-up attacks I would imagine they are going to be very tough to break, especially now they can't be autobroken and their high Ld.

Combined with the high defensive capabilities and I can see them becoming one of our worse matchups.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Mar 2, 2008
A place somewhere.
The problem with Dwarves is the incredible limit of their mobility. If the rumors are true and a lot of the games will be objective-based, Dwarves will have a tough time maintaining their line and taking objectives, whereas Vampire Counts, who are a little faster can do so easily.

witchking1980

Black Knight
Nov 1, 2009
I think Dwarfs will work pretty nice in the 8th edition. The second rank attacks plus the good toughness and armour save will make even the core units strong without even a hero inside them. Also, if the rumour about "guess" warmachines is real then their mortars and the flamecannon will be extra strong as the players will place the template and hit automatically every model under it.

witchking1980

Black Knight
Nov 1, 2009
Pietr Von Carstein said:
I doubt it will hit everything . If skaven were done wit 8th in mind then why would they bother putting that in as a special rule ? It doesn't make sense .

Along with the 8th edition GW is going to issue some errata from every armybook so perhaps Dwards errata contains the same special rule and maybe the same applies for Empires warmachines too. We will see in a month or so xD

I really hope that will not be like this because VC's will suffer even more in the shooting phase

Jun 24, 2009
Pietr Von Carstein said:
I doubt it will hit everything . If skaven were done wit 8th in mind then why would they bother putting that in as a special rule ? It doesn't make sense .

I reckon they did a lot of their testing with 8th ed. rules and then translated it to 7th, where they found the army needed the new template rules to be balanced (or to function the way they wanted it to) in 7th, so they worked it in.

Either that or they just wanted to get people used to it.

Its up for advance order now . Not much longer to wait.
And the brass plate is for calculating CR . But theirs 6 ways to get CR . One is kills obviously , then ranks , then banner , a picture of a shield i think . One of the last two is charging but what is the other ? Is outnumber actually staying . Does fear really give CR . We'll have to wait I suppose .

Shadowsmage

Zombie
Oct 16, 2009
Magic is in the book

The Lores of Magic
In this section you'll find full rules and descriptions for each of the eight Lores of Magic that your wizards and spell casters can use to vanquish your foes and bolster your forces with.

Magic cards back in the day were very useful.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
My powers of pervertedness have granted me the sight that the that spell used the small template and moves in a direction nomintaed by the player, distance equal to the artillery dice.......still working on the rest.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
May 27, 2009
Lincoln, England
Purple Sun of Xereus Cast on 15+
A collossal orb of purple-edged darkness materialises upon the battlefield. Those who do not escape its touch are turned to inert and unfeeling crystal.

Remains in play. The Purple Sun is a magical vortex which uses the small round template. Once the template is placed, the player then nominates the direction in which the Purple Sun will move. To determine how many inches the template moves, roll the artillery dice & multiply the result by 3. Any model touched by the template must pass an initiative test or be slain outright with no saves of any kind allowed. If the result on the artillery dice is a misfire, center the template on the caster and roll the scatter dice and a D6. The template moves the number of inches equal to the result of the D6, in the direction shown on the scatter dice (if you roll a Hit, use the little arrow shown on the Hit symbol). In either event, in subsequent turns the Purple Sun moves in a random direction and moves a number of inches equal to the roll of an artillery dice. If a Misfire is rolled in subsequent turns, the Purple Sun collapses in on itself and is removed. A particularly brave wizard can infuse the Purple Sun of Xereus with even more power, so that it uses the large round template instead. If he does so, the casting value is 25+.

The Lore of Death (Attribute)
Life Leeching: When a Lore of Death spell is resolved, roll a D6 for each unsaved wound caused by the spell (models removed by the Purple Sun of Xereus each add a number of dice equal to theeir Wounds characteristic). For each 5 or 6 rolled on these additional dice, the Wizard immediately adds a dice to his army's power pool!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
That spell is horrendous! Imagine a wizard on a flying steed getting to an armies flanks and rolling that across them. The carnage it could inflict, and on top of that you get PD to boot! Yes unless our lore gets a boost in the errata I can very well see forbidden lore been a must have!

The lore of death is posted in its entirety on warseer
* Basic Spell: Soulsteal. Direct damage, 12" range. Nominate a model. Caster and Target roll 1D6 and add their unmodified leadership. For each point the caster's result exceeds the targets result it suffers 1 wound with no armour save allowed. The scaled up version has an increased range.

1: Face of the Reaper. Unit Buff, 24 " range. Targeted unit causes fear. Caster may decide to make it cause Terror for a higher casting value.

2: Embrace of Laniph. Direct damage, 12 " range. Nominate 1 target model. Roll 2D6 and subtract the target's Strength. The result equals the number of hits the target takes, wounding on 4+ and ignoring armour saves. The scaled up version has an increased range.

3: Soulrot. Hex, 24 " range. Targeted unit suffers a -1 strength and toughness. The scaled up version is ALL enemy units within 24 inches. Lasts 1 turn.

4: Dark Despair. Hex. Remains in play, 24 " range. Targetted unit suffers -3 Leadership. The scaled up version has an increased range.

5: Bajuna's Fate. Direct damage, 12 " range. Nominate 1 model. Roll 2D6 and substract the target's toughness. The result equals the number of hits the target suffers, wounding on 2+ and ignoring Armour saves. Should the target survive, it suffers stupidity for the rest of the game.

6: The Purple Sun of Xereus. Power Whirl, Remains in Play. Place the small template in base contact with the caster and roll the artillery dice. Multiply result by 3. The result is the number of inches the template moves. Each model touched by the template, except for the wizard himself, has to pass an Initiative test or is removed from play. No saves are allowed. If you roll a misfire, place the template above the caster himself, roll a scatter dice and 1D6. The result is the number of inches the template is moved away from the caster.

The template moves at the end of each following magic phase, roll the artillery dice and a scatter dice to determine direction and range. If you roll a misfire the template is removed. The scaled up version uses the 5 " template instead.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu