1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

Legions of Nagash

Discussion in 'Understanding the Underworlds' started by El Syf, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Malisteen

Malisteen Master Necromancer True Blood

maybe in round bases, but almost certainly not with new models. That would have been advertised.

2. Alabaster427

Alabaster427 Minister of Thriftiness True Blood

I didn't realize that reinforcement points counted for destroyed units. However, they did specifically leave a loophole in "unless stated otherwise" so there's a chance it might be free. Either way, it could be really useful in some situations.

3. Malisteen

There's a chance it might list an exception, but in other recent books listed such exceptions within the rule itself, and that isn't the case here.

And no, it isn't really useful 'either way'. If you have to spend reserve points out of your starting army, this will always be terrible in matched play. It will never be good to start the game a unit down for the chance to maybe deploy that unit late in the game, at a time and place you cant control but your opponent can, and even if the stars align, you still just don't get the unit 50% of the time anyway.

Not when you could have just started with the unit on the table, or just deployed it whenever you wanted via gravesites anyway without jumping through a bunch of hoops.

4. Alabaster427

I disagree. I have used summoning very effectively and it really puts a kink in my opponents' strategies and extending the range is only going to make it better. It won't AS bad for my opponents as I won't always have a character there to give the death save, but that's not much different from the current summoning meta. It will just take a little longer to get there, unless running flyers or Nighthaunt. The big question I have is: How big are the gravesites going to be? Are they going to be a garden of morr? Or just a tombstone? Is it going to have the footprint of a citadel wood? Or a nurgle tree?

5. Malisteen

This isn't summoning, though. You don't get to pick which models are summoned, it has to be a summonable unit you already had that was already destroyed, and you have to have at least that many reserve points left in your pool.

Reserved 240 to bring back your unit of 10 black knights, but the only summonable unit your opponent killed was your 320 point unit of 20 grave guard? Too bad, you get nothing. Reserved enough points to bring back the 320 point grave guard unit, but this time your opponent went for your black knights instead? Well you could try to bring them back, and then be left with 80 unusable reserve points.

You don't get to pick when it happens, you just have to hope an opponents unit dies when you need one of yours back. You don't get to pick where it happens, you just have to hope your opponents unit died near one of your grave sites, and that none of your opponent's other models were near the same grave site. And even after all of that, it only has a 4+ chance of even happening. And if that chance fails, you can't just try to summon another unit with the same points in the same turn, or try to summon the same unit again on your next turn, you have to wait for the stars to align all over again.

I don't deny that summoning spells had their uses, but 'Master's Teachings' isn't anything like them, and lacks every single one of their already rather few positive features.

6. Alabaster427

It doesn't sound like it's going to be that complex to me, but I know we're still missing a lot of information on this.

7. Alabaster427

I thought we should create a separate thread from the Age of Sigmar thread to discuss the Legions of Nagash Battletome, mainly for easy recognition for any new players and a more focused discussion than just generic AOS. Maybe one of the mods can migrate some of the posts in the Age of Sigmar thread? If not, I'm sure it will be fine.

Unas the slayer likes this.
  8. Menkeroth

Menkeroth A Knight of Blood

He is and always was the mortarch of night. Of shadows was Vlad.

9. Unas the slayer

Unas the slayer Black Knight

Was this one already linked? I don't see it.

The gravesites will be 4.

[​IMG]

10. Malisteen

Image broken

11. Unas the slayer

Really?
    I see it correctly... and so i don't know how to fix it :(

I will try to find it somewhere else.

It's about "warscroll cards: legions of Nagash" and it says that the pack contains also 4 coffin-shaped markers to mark the gravesites

In the meantime, we have the preview for Legion of Blood

https://www.warhammer-community.com...gion-blood-prince-vhordraigw-homepage-post-2/

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  12. Alabaster427

https://www.warhammer-community.com...gion-blood-prince-vhordraigw-homepage-post-2/

Further confirmation of the leaked warscrolls (at least partially), this article focuses on the new character, Prince Vhordrai. His command ability is awesome. If the Ghoul King on TG doesn't change too much, this could be devastating. Since there's now a whole faction dedicated to blood knights, I hope we finally get some cheaper/plastic models for them. I'm still rocking the metal ones but I hear the current ones are resin.

The amulet of screams will be really useful against Tzeentch and Nurgle, and probably the new Daughters of Khaine. The ring of dominion is also superb (Slayer of Kings comes to mind) as you can use it in every combat phase! I wonder if Settra will be able to take it...

Tomorrow, Mannfred gets his own special attention, which answer at least some questions we have about him.

13. Unas the slayer

...and "Favoured Retainers" is just brutal! :vampire3:

14. Malisteen

Blood looks alright, but less interesting to me personally than previous previews. Would have preferred more of neferata's sneakyness to show through in the rules.

15. Alabaster427

"Every Legions of Nagash army gets to place four gravesites on the table – two in their territory and two in the enemy’s. Summonable units can be set up to emerge from these gravesites later in the game..."

Does this mean we list a SUMMONABLE unit and deploy it in a gravesite to have it "deep strike" rather than having to use a summoning spell?

16. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

Yeah legion of blood is a bit meh from what they've shown but they do say in all the previews there are more abilities and items so could be some other neat stuff, Arkhan is just about winning for me at the moment.

17. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

I'd like to think so, after all iirc wild woods do the same for the sylvaneth. It's a shame the +1 attack buff the legion of blood get isn't for all soulblight models though.

18. Alabaster427

I think it's designed for larger games where you're less likely to have the soul blight allegiance.

19. Borgnine

Borgnine Moderator Staff Member True Blood

I agree with @Alabaster427 and moved the whole discussion into a dedicated thread to keep things organized. I'm sorry for any confusion that may have caused...

20. Malisteen

That was my take away, but we dont actually have the wording yet, soooo... *shrug*

21. Cataphract

Cataphract Zombie

And Legion of Night is up. Seems to focus on out maneuvering and mortal wounds.

22. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

23. Unas the slayer

Well, it's not bad, but definitely not the best one we have see so far.

24. El Syf

El Syf Crypt Horror

So are we expecting preorders tomorrow?

25. Alabaster427

Yes. I think they're doing the battletome and the 4 heralds. I'm hoping for some warscroll cards. Aside from the Knight of Shrouds, I don't think we're getting any new models. Prince Vordray (or whatever) might have a new model but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just one of the old vampire models renamed.