1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

List help for 1k three-way with Skaven and Warriors of Chaos

Discussion in 'The Teachings of Abhorash' started by RSJ87, Jul 17, 2015.

1. RSJ87

RSJ87 Zombie

Hey all

So on Monday evening I'll be fighting Skaven and Warriors of Chaos in a 1000-point match, using house rules for a three-way fight. We've found a way to make three-way fights work quite well; it does seem to disadvantage magic a little, which is a pain, but otherwise this is essentially a call for advice for building a list that can fight Skaven and WoC simultaneously.

Because honestly, I've no idea where to start. They seem to negate one another's advantages. If I were just fighting Skaven, I'd build around elite anvils, flyers and causing terror, whereas if I were just fighting WoC I'd build around tarpits and hammers. I thought about a Crypt Horror anvil supplemented by a Mortis Engine, but I'm struggling to fit it in these points alongside Core and decent characters.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Crystal

Crystal Grave Guard

I've never fought WoC but use ethereal stuff (it really accels in small games where magic attacks are uncommon) and use redirectors, if you can force your opponents into eachother then you effectively gain free chaff or answers to certain problems, e.g. I played end times triumph and treachery not too long ago against elves and brettonia so I redirected Tyrion incarnate of light plus dragon prince bus in front of a brettonian lance which ripped through the unit's flank. Also if you're using 8th with lore of undeath it would be quite useful for summoning some extra chaff. Hope this helps.

3. Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow Sleepless Knight True Blood

I was gunna say avoid Ethereal, actually. All the Skaven shooting is magical.

4. Crystal

Crystal Grave Guard

That's a good point. I completely forgot about that :\

5. RSJ87

RSJ87 Zombie

Yeah @Adam_Barrow, that was my instinct. Also I'd probably need to take ten Hexwraiths to either disrupt flanks or win combats against an enemy's static res, and that's a lot of points to sink into a risky unit. I thought about going character-heavy and putting a blender in a bunker, but we've agreed to play without End Times rules so I can't spend more than 250 on either Lords or Heroes. Maybe rely on Staff of Damnation or Vanhel's to buff a skeleton unit and run GG or Crypt Ghouls alongside? Would you take a Rare choice at this level?

6. Adam_Barrow

At low points a Tbat can be a game changer. The trick with Skaven is to get into combat because they can't fight for crap. Don't let Slaves lock up your killy stuff. Against WoC you need to catch their fast stuff with something that can weather it, which can be hard to do. Horrors work a treat against both armies, being tanky as Hell for WoC and getting to stomp the infantry from both opponents. Van Hels os a must with Poison units. Rerolls to hit are extra chances at Poison 6's, which is great against high T low Armor enemies like monsters.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  7. RSJ87

RSJ87 Zombie

Thanks everyone for your help! One of my opponents changed his mind a couple of days ago and went with High Elves instead of Skaven. As an expensive infantry army, like WoC, this simplified my list selection quite a bit, but your advice on low-points games in general was still very valuable.

Here's the list I went with:

- Vampire level 1, general, with heavy armour
    - Necromancer level 2 with Book of Arkhan
    - 28 Skeletons, full command, spears
    - 5 Dire wolves
    - 5 Dire wolves
    - 7 Crypt Horrors with Haunter
    - Terrorgheist

I won by 63 victory points, which is technically a draw. Warriors were thumped badly, but I'm pleased to have held the HEs to a draw since the guy who plays with them has the best record in our group.

Full battle report here if you have a spare fifteen minutes to read it. It was an interesting and fun game:

http://www.vampirecounts.net/thread...ersus-warriors-of-chaos-and-high-elves.29482/

8. Adam_Barrow

Well played!

9. Ohcyt

Ohcyt Zombie

Good work. Those crypt horrors must have worked a treat

10. Wolf1771

Wolf1771 Zombie

Have you heard of triumph and treachery RSJ87? It makes multiply army games run quite smoothly and has some fun mechanics in it too. Shouldn't be too expensive now and I'm SURE you could find a pdf of it online.