1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please welcome Irisado and Borgnine to the Moderation team! They have proved themselves invaluable for the past few years and now they may make their efforts to make this forum a great place direct!
  3. The General's handbook has been updated, what fun awaits the undying hordes?

LoN 8th Edition: Army Wide Rules

Discussion in 'The Legion of Nagash' started by Disciple of Nagash, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash The Perverted One Staff Member TVC II GM

Ok, so this particular section was nearly resolved in the last thread, and ideally I would love to get this wrapped up quickly.

Like previous LoN this first thread will be updated as rules get confirmed.

[hr]

Confirmed Rules

This section details rules that have been agreed and confirmed. For members joining in at a later date, please note we will not review these rules again, as otherwise reviewing will never stop due to constant new ideas! However please advise if you do spot any errors or possible abuses of the rules.

Locus
    Throughout the Legions Of Nagash, there are those that with the strength of will to force the undead to obey their every command.
    Any undead characters with this rule may march move as per the BRB. In addition any unit they are in may march move. If the general should die and be permanently removed from play, a character with this rule may attempt to stop his unit crumbling. When testing for crumbling, if a unit with a character with this rule passes the leadership test, they no longer need to check for Crumbling for as long as the character is with the unit. If the character leaves the unit for any reason, the unit immediately need to take a crumbling test, followed by another at the start of each Legion phase.

Army General
    The army general must have the Locus rule and also be a wizard. If there are more than one suitable choice, it must be the character with the highest leadership. In the event of a tie, the wizard with the highest level must be the general. In there is still a tie, the LoN player may choose which one is the general.
    Should the general die and be removed from play, then all units with the Undead of Nagash rule must take a crumbling test at the end of the phase, and then at the start of every following Legion of Nagash turn.

Undead of Nagash
    Fuelled by the powerful necromancies of Nagash and pushed forward by his unwavering will, the undead of Nagash do not fall easily
    As per VC undead rule. In addition any models or units with this rule suffer from one less wound caused by crumbling at the end of combat if within 6" of a model with the Locus special rule.

Nagashi
    Many men followed the dark path laid down the the Dark Lord and would willingly die at this command. It makes them terrible unwavering foes, however should that faith be broken......
    This rule cannot be combined with the Undead rule. Unit's with this rule are immune to fear caused by models with the Undead rule.
    In addition, whilst in the generals inspiring presence they are also ItP. If the general should die whilst a unit is within the generals inspiring presence, the unit must take an immediate panic check following the normal rules.

We are Legion!
    Over the millennia since Nagash first created the art of necromancy, he has made many advances that those not under this tutelage will ever know. Controlled by the ancient collective spirits, such dead are jealously guarded, however they rival the living for skill and fervour. Any interference or outside influence confuses and infuriates the controlling spirits, rendering the warriors no more than normal mindless automatons
    Unit's with this rule will benefit from Tactical Options as detailed in their entry. However the unit cannot be raised past its starting size. In addition if a character joins the unit, the unit looses the ability to use the Tactical Options whilst the character remains with the unit.

Battle Standard Bearer
    The mighty standards of the Dark Lord’s army always pulse with arcane might, to lend strength to those gifted with the Necromantic art, and thus ensure the dead never fail.
    Any friendly wizards within 12” of the Battle Standard Bearer may choose to re-roll their channelling attempts. In addition, Nagashi may re-roll failed leadership tests if within 12” has normal.

Blades of the Damned
    These dreaded blades burn with ethereal fire, seemingly cutting the heart out of a foe whilst leaving no mark
    On a roll of 6 to-hit a wound is automatically caused, no armour save allowed. The blade also benefits from the Flammable special rule.

Nagashizzar Plate
    In the dark and hellishly hot forges of Nagashizzar, the dwindling remains of gromril and warpstone is fashioned into potent armour that can protect its bearer from the mightiest strokes. Only those deemed worthy enough are granted its use, these elite few forming the most potent of warriors to under the command of the Dark Lord.
    Counts as heavy armour. The bearer immune to Killing Blow (both normal and Heroic).

2. Disciple of Nagash

Still up for discussion:

Wight Blades.
    So the overall idea was to keep these as VC lost the fluff element. Now I personally want to keep them as well, however I do want a rule that is nice and simple. I think we should steer clear of stat modifying, complicated rules and so on. So here is an idea:

The dread wight blades burn with ethereal fire, seemingly cutting the heart out of a foe whilst leaving no mark
    On a roll of 6 to-hit a wound is automatically caused, no armour or regeneration save allowed.

Nagashizzar Plate.
    This one for me should again remain nice and simple if going on normal troops. Counts as heavy armour and makes the bearer immune to Killing Blow. There should be a version for characters, however at the appropriate points level. We can however discuss that when it comes to characters.

BSB - People wanted to make this more unique to the army. The storing of PD / DD as per Uziel's suggestion works for me.

Let me know your thoughts, however please note I don't want over complicated rules. Remember these have to cover the whole legion, and so making them too cumbersome or powerful will simply not work.

3. The Dread King

The Dread King Moderator Staff Member True Blood TVC II GM

Do the wights still get KB? If so, I'm fine with everything you've just said, DoN. The army rules debate might finally be over soon. xD

4. Bishop

Bishop Master Necromancer True Blood

Just a couple thoughts on the "done ones" :D

1) Army General

If there's a tie for Ld, should it be the one with the highest caster level?

Also, if there options for other Lores on the characters? If so, the General must have Lore of Nagash should probably be in there as well.

2) We are Legion! Needs to be ammended as follows:

... In addition if a character without the We Are Legion! rule joins the unit, the unit looses the ability to use the Tactical Options whilst the character remains with the unit.

The new stuff.

Wight Blades as DoN described. :thumbsup: That's in lieu of KB I assume?

N.Plate looks fine too. Regular troops normally only have a single wound anyways, so ignoring KB isn't that big of an issue. Probably need to put a footnote in there that a model with KB still causes a normal wound. (ie. it only ignores the KB special, not the actual wound).

BSB - can you post the rules in here? As long as it adheres to the 12 PD/DD cap, should be fine.

5. Uziel

Uziel Vargheist

DoN: Nice too see things starting up again. I hope work has calmed down a bit for you. :)

Down to business:

I like your Wight Blade idea. Seems simple and balanced. The only issue I have with it, is perhaps the name (even though Wight Blades now seems to be removed from the GG fluff as well in the 8.ed VC book), since it is still tied so strongly to the "Killing Blow" weapon in the VC list from so many sources etc. The second thing is the "seemingly cutting the heart out of a foe whilst leaving no mark" line in the fluff part. Jus seems a bit too "target specified" (hart) and thus a little odd. Nitpicking I know...

Nagashizzar Plate: Seems good. I don't think anything too fancy is required in the army special rules section, and it also doesn't undermine that it is an "ancient" type army. :thumbsup:

A thought on the BSB: How about letting the BSB be a potential store of PD only, but then let it be able to store 1 PD for each friendly wizard in the army. It will prevent the army from becoming too potent defensibly in the magic phase, yet help us immensly in the offensive magic phase. I think it suts the army better overall. What do you guys think?

Bishop:

I agree with all of your ammendments/points. Good job. :)

6. Bishop

"Wight Blades" could be renamed. :D

@Uziel - That's been my primary role in this project thus far. So, that's good to know.

7. Uziel

Uziel Vargheist

Btw: As far as the "Wight Blades" go, we might as well change the "no regeneration allowed" to Flammable. It still keeps things simple, and incidentally also makes the army better vs Nagashs old enemies, the tomb kings... From a fluff perspective I can also quite well imagine some blue-green witch fire emanating from the Nagashizzar-Wrought blades.

8. Bishop

Correct me if I'm wrong, (I don't game nearly as much as I used to), but there's a difference between those isn't there?

No Regen - would be just that.. none.
    Flammable - would allow regen from the current wounds, and prevent regen at later In steps.

9. The Dread King

Flaming attacks also burn flammable creatures as well as stopping regen. The wights seem mean enough; perhaps wight characters should also get magical attacks from the blades. I digress; we'll get to that in the characters section.

10. Uziel

Uziel Vargheist

I think (and I'm not 100% sure here mind you) that Flammable prevents regen in the same phase, but it doesn't remove regeneration permanently.

I just think that Flammable vs. Ingore Regeneration, is not that big a step overall power-wise, and it also has a good built-in reason as to why regeneration is ignored in the first place. There isn't that much that disallows regeneration in the rules, and there is a reason for that. Technically, regenerating a wound created by a very sharp weapon alone should be easier than regenerating a similar wound from a more "crude" weapon.

It has been a long while since we had a real discussion on the whole matter, so I have forgotten a lot of the previous ideas and arguments, but IF we're going for ten magical items as the other army books in 8.ed, and we are going for an army heavy on the arcane items and other wizard/necromancer related items, then we could end up with the common list and the "wight" blades, being the only ones open to us, in which case I thinl we could include a statement that if used by a character, the "wight blades" also becomes magical...

11. The Dread King

flaming attacks only prevent regen in the attacks themselves-they don't stop regen permanently

12. Disciple of Nagash

Wight Blades:

Dread King: No KB, only the rule I suggested or it gets OP. Flammable rule is fine with me; the only concern is that there are a few pieces of armour (dragon armour?) that really penalise flammable weapons - are we ok with this?

As for the name of them, I personally want to keep the name. It's an iconic thing for Undead IMO and the change of rules should be fine. As for the fluff, that can be changed, I just made something up on the spot xD

Army General:

Yes that is a good point Bishop. It would actually make more sense for the person with the highest casting power to be it's general....but then we risk situations where a level 1 hero wizard is the general instead of the Zenith Lord? Perhaps we could give those with the locus rule a value, and the character with the highest locus value must be the general? The value can denote their innate will power / magic etc.

BSB:
    I think we need to be careful about how much we let it store, otherwise some players will start spamming low level wizards to ensure they always get 12PD or something silly. How about every friendly wizard within range gains +1 for the channelling role?

It looks like we are just about there. The only other thing I thought of was in regards to the We Are Legion! rule. Perhaps we could create a set of Tactical Options, say 4. The units which then have the We Are Legion! rule will then just have a couple from this set, rather than each unit having it's own set. Some of these options would be a good starting point (from Uziel), however I think we should design a list of 4-6 options that can be equally effective.

•Shield-Wall Formation (1): Even though it is armed with Spears and Shields, the Legion makes a near impenetrable shield-wall facing their enemies.
    The Unit has the “Parry Save” rule normally associated with the hand weapon and shield combination, even though they are armed with spears. They still benefit from the Extra Ranks special rule for having spears.

•Wedge Formation (2): This formation is used to break enemy formations as a shock tactic, by hitting their centre hard, and using any opening in the enemy line to disrupt the enemy formation. While effective when used by mortals, it is much more so with every attacker working together in near perfect synchrony.

When making a successful Charge move, the Legion adds an additional +1 to the Combat Result for being the one to Charge, but more importantly, should the Eternal Legion be a part of a winning combat, any enemy unit in contact with them counts as having half its number of ranks of five or more models, for the purposes of determining Steadfast (rounding up).
    This formation weakens the flanks of the unit, so any enemy unit attacking the Flanks, need only be five models strong to disrupt the formation.

•Tortoise Formation (3): This formation was used for maximum protection vs. missiles, most commonly arrows. By pressing together, and keeping their shields above and facing outwards at all directions so that they nearly overlap, the unit creates a tortoise-like shell which protects it. The downside to this formation is that it leaves little room to fight, as well as slowing down all movement considerably.

The Unit has a +2 bonus to its armour save, vs. all manner of ranged attacks (i.e. a 3+ armour save), but it may not have a higher bonus than it currently has additional ranks of five or more models (so one additional rank of five models would only constitute a +1 bonus to the armour save).
    The unit may not Charge an enemy while in this formation, nor may it make a March move. While in this formation, only the front rank may ever make attacks (even if armed with spears).

•Phalanx Formation (4): The unit stays close together, all spears pointing as effectively in one direction as possible, forwards.

The unit gains the Extra Ranks special rule, effectively fighting with two additional ranks if did not charge, because of the spears. The Legion gains a +1 armour save towards its Front, but any unit attacking the Flanks or Rear negates any bonuses for using a shield, and they also double any combat resolution bonuses from attacking in the Flank or Rear in the first place.
    If a unit that is not Infantry, Swarm or War Beast Charges the Phalanx formation to its Front, it counts as having the Armour Piercing special rule for the following round of close combat. A Phalanx formation may only March if they are not in any kind of special Terrain (basically anything that has some special rules for it, regardless of what it is)..

When we come to each unit we can then decide what options they have. This will mean we need to make the options generic enough to work with possible different weapons and armour

So looking at the above, something like:

Shield Wall
    Interlocking their shields, the front rank presents an impenetrable wall that allows those behind to attack with impunity
    The models in the front rank may not attack, however all models in the unit benefit from a 3+ armour save from any frontal attacks.

- Obviously will work best with spears to allow two ranks to attack, excellent for a defensive formation.

Tortoise
    This formation was used for maximum protection vs. missiles, most commonly arrows. By pressing together, and keeping their shields above and facing outwards at all directions so that they nearly overlap, the unit creates a tortoise-like shell which protects it. The downside to this formation is that it leaves little room to fight, as well as slowing down all movement considerably.

The Unit has a +3 to its armour save to any ranged attack from any direction. The unit may not Charge an enemy while in this formation, nor may it make a March move. While in this formation, only the front rank may ever make attacks (even if armed with spears).

- The downsides to this formation balance the excellent armour save.

That's a couple anyway - thoughts? Good idea, bad?

13. Uziel

Uziel Vargheist

Wight Blades:

There will always be the odd item here and there that can penalize someone or other heavily. That is part of the game, and I'm for one am totally fine with it.

The reason for the change of name came from the idea that wight blades are already so well established, with DIFFERENT rules (Killing Blow), that I though a name change might make it less confusing for our opponents, whom will think KB when we say Wight Blades...

Army General: Are all the Wizards going to be Locusts, or just the Wight Types etc? I must admit that it has been so long since we discussed the whole idea, that I may have forgotten some stuff here and there..

BSB: your +1 idea sounds fine as well DoN. I have no problem with it.

The problem with making general tactical rules that apply to the "army as a whole", is that it becomes very hard to balance. Besides, we already have quite a number of Army special rules already, and I have some problems seeing the range of units that these would apply to in any case...
    In my opinion, the tactical rules should be left to the individual units.

14. Bishop

Wight Blades should be named something different, solely to avoid confusion. Weather it's as simple as Nagashi Blades, or whatever... but it should be different.

General - We need to make sure we word this properly to give us the fluff that we want. It needs to allow a Zenith Lord / equiv to lead the army if there's only hero level casters. It should be worded to follow the necessary hierarchy. I think that it's Caster Lord > Combat Lord > Hero Caster > Combat Hero. So, it would have to be worded accordingly. If that can be done by giving Locus a "value", I suppose that's fine too.

Hmm... what about these...

Locus
    Any undead characters with this rule may march move as per the BRB. In addition any unit they are in may march move. If the general should die and be permanently removed from play, a character with this rule may attempt to stop his unit crumbling. When testing for crumbling, if a unit with a character with this rule passes the leadership test, they no longer need to check for Crumbling for as long as the character is with the unit. If the character leaves the unit for any reason, the unit immediately need to take a crumbling test, followed by another at the start of each Legion phase. All Wizards with the Locus ability count as having a Leadership value 2 points higher for purposes of determining the army general (this can go beyond the normal maximum of 10).

Army General
    The army general must be the character with the highest Leadership amongst those character that have the Locus rule. If there are characters with the same effective leadership (see Locus rule), then the LoN player may choose which one is the general.
    Should the general die and be removed from play, then all units with the Undead of Nagash rule must take a crumbling test at the end of the phase, and then at the start of every following Legion of Nagash turn.

[I think that this should give us the options to a) force a caster lord to be general over a Zenith Lord, b) allow a Zenith Lord to lead over a hero caster, c) force a hero caster to lead over a combat hero]

BSB - need to be careful that it's a) useful, and b) balanced. So, if it's going to add PD/DD dice, it should be roughly in line with something existing. Perhaps slightly cheaper, due to the magical nature of LoN.

Tactical options - I agree, these should be unit specific only. For game balance / costing purposes it just WAY easier! If you wanted to allow a character to pass a better / different rule on to it's unit, that's probably a decent way to get a little bit more flexibility from these ideas.

15. The Dread King

The reason we made it an army rule was bcuz there were many units with We are Legion. However, all of those bar one work like detachments, so I think we should only work with We are Legion! when we come to Core Units.

16. Chaos_Born

Chaos_Born Master Necromancer True Blood

I think the tactical options should be character based/influenced in some way, keeping the fluff of the army being character centric, in addition to giving a weakness to quite a powerful idea: giving your crappy core skeletons some of those rules is very good!

Perhaps characters with the locus special rule also could have access to perchase tactical abilities(or have it as part of the locus rule?), and some kind of test based off locus level (a locus test even) is required to give or change formation? This way it becomes very dificult to give lots of units the formations, but gives a lot of character to your lord

Or is this overcomplicating an already unnessecary idea?

17. The Dread King

How about this: all characters with the 'Tactical Master' special rule can join the Legion without making them lose their abilities.

Only a few characters should have this rule, perhaps one generic one, Nagash and Arkhan. Perhaps they might give the legion tactical benefits if they are tactical geniuses.

18. Uziel

Uziel Vargheist

Characters and the Legions (We are Legion! special rule to be specific):

My original idea for the Legions special tactical options were based on the idea that the Legions were so vast (at any time that they did march to threaten the known world), that an army of undead could never hope to have the number of characters to lead them that one typically would see in lesser armies. Another aspect of it all, was that the Legion idea (ref: the Legions fluff) was that they were formed to compensate a bit from the lack of natural controllers, such as the vampires who used to lead and control Nagash'es armies at one time.

There are really only two types of characters that I can see joining the Legions (without disrupting their special formations etc), and those are:
    1. Champion level special characters, such as those found in the Dark Elf book.
    2. Zenith Lord/Zenith Prince (assuming the Zenith Lord is a Wight-type character and toned down to a sensible power level that is, and by that I mean they should cower in fear at the sight of Krell...). The reason I can see these guys fitting in, is because they are "mindless" automations like the wights, in which case they may not disturb the magic/control like someone able to think for himself.

Tactical Formation Change ideas (DoN):

Shield Wall: I would assume that a shield wall is a pretty common practice on the battlefield, by any troops carrying shields, and getting a 3+ armour save (and I'm assuming that this goes for the skeletal legions, and not the pinnacle guard and others with even more protection) is a bit much.. Also, I'm sceptical in removing our ability to fight back effectivly in more than one formation. I think the 6+ Parry save combined with spears more than do the job, and it represents the unit being able to make an "impenetrable" shield wall pretty well. 3+ just becomes such a vast difference, as it is even better than the old Pavise shields from the old Dogs of War list, and thats is in close combat as well..

Tortoise Formation: I thought +2 was more than good enough to be honest, as we already have Light armour and shields to begin with, making it a 3+ save vs. missiles. With +3, we end up with 2+, or even 1+ on the likes of the Pinnacle Guard, and that is in my opinion going a bit too far... We have to keep in mind that we also have re-raisable troops as well..

Chaos Born & DK:

Regarding special options granted by characters, I think this is something best introduced through the special character champion idea, to keep things balanced and simple. I like the idea though, as I can well imagine the insidious necromancers of nagashizzar seeking out ancient champions, known for their special tactical insights etc..

On a side note, I have already made a new character option, the Immortals, which are based on the pre-vampiire champions of nagash, those who had their lives prolonged through the use of his original Elixir. This character option has a lot of different "build options" to them. The thing is though, that I don't know how well it will go with the pre-defined character gallery made for the project previously, as they sort of overlap with too many of them in a sense, because they are more flexible than your average character option in the game. I might just keep the idea (along with a few others), and some day post my own project if I ever have the time to finish what I originally started. Have to finish the Bloodline Legacies one first though.

The BSB:

One thing we could do regarding the BSB, is to make it a bit safer to cast Lore of Nagash spells within 12" of it... Less likely to miscast.

Locus and the General:

Not really sure I like the Locus (X) option for determining the general.. I think that in this army, it should be the highest wizard level character. It is not as if him being "inspiring" in instrumental to his generalship in any case...

19. The Dread King

I still think that as Arkhan and Nagash are superpowerful liches, they can mentally "connect" with the legion. Surely the master of necromancy won't make a bunch of skeletons lose their co-ordination.

20. Uziel

Uziel Vargheist

DK:

Every necromancer can "connect" with the dead, but I tend not to to think of it as a power-level issue, but rather one of tactical finesse and experience. My point is that just becase they are in the same army as a whole, doesn't necessarily mean that they have the skills/talents to micromanage units on a mico-management level, while integrating themselves into some sort of unit with "special training"...

That said, I still don't see the need for a special rule in the army special rules section governing this, as those two are special characters, and one most likely being monstrous infantry and the other being chariot mounted...

21. Disciple of Nagash

OK then.

So from the above:

Locus / General - I think the simplest way rather than overcomplicating with modifiers: The army general must be the character with the highest Leadership that has the Locus rule. In the event of a tie, the strongest Wizard must be the General. If there is still a tie the LoN player may choose the which character is the general.

So in this instance all we have to do is make sure the Zenith Lord for example has a higher Ld than the hero level characters. However if a Disciple of Nagash decides to step in, then he would become general.

Wight Blades: As I said I would prefer to keep the name but looks like I'm outvoted :( So we need alternative names, and I think we have used Nagashi or variants thereof enough. Soul Blades?

We Are Legion! Ok that was just an idea - I think there may have been misunderstanding. I meant we have say 5 generic ones, and then when deciding the units you would say Tactical Options: 1 and 5 etc, not give all of them rather than having loads of different options. That said the consensus seems to be no, so lets go we can review once we have reviewed the units. If we see the tactical options are similar etc, then we can look at simplifying it then.

Characters joining We Are Legion! Yes there will be some characters who can join them for special reason, however we can list that in the characters entry. If we have enough (which we shouldn't have loads), then we can always come back and create a generic rule.

BSB - this seems to be the main one we haven't come to some kind of consensus on with different ideas being generated. To wrap this up, please choose one of the following:

1 - Store PD / DD
    2 - +1 to Channelling role
    3 - Help mitigate a Lore of Nagash miscaste

We can work out the actual rule if we can agree on a premise.

22. Uziel

Uziel Vargheist

Wight Blades:

Soul Blades sound fine, although It sort of suggest a spectral quality to them. Another alternative could be "Nagashizzar Blades", just to suggest that they are forged in Nagashizzar, and thus different from "ordinary" Wight Blades.

BSB:

They are all pretty decent choices, but I personally think that this army should be led by a wizard, and not have a Hierophant type option, and on the basis of that I think that option 3 might be the best one (assuming that quality is not included anywhere else in the list that is). It is hard to say to be honest, since magic is always tricky to balance right, and also because we haven't really discussed what "tier" in respect to the other armies, that our overall magic should be at, and what "price" we're going to have to pay for that advantage.
    So, all in all, with what I know at this stage, I think option 3 would be most ideal.

(Btw, if option 3 becomes a character type option, I already have a rule for it on my Necrarch vampires for the Bloodline project, named "Desiples of Nagash".)

Off to the coffin...

23. Bishop

The General selection rules listed above by DoN are fine with me.

Wight Blade - A name is a name... though anything that isn't an accepted name with a preconceived idea of how it works, is fine by me.

I'm okay with either 1 or 3 for the BSB.

24. The Dread King

I like all the options for the BSB, and number 3 seems cool, considering Nagash always liked rituals, and his spells never seemed to endager himself much. Number 1 and 2 are just as valid, but PD/DD is a bit unimaginative, and number 2 could be underpowered (not enough wizards to make good use of the BSB) or extremely overpowered (spamming level 1 necromancers is already an effective way of making a really competitive army).

25. Uziel

Uziel Vargheist

BSB:

Instead of storing PD/DD, the bsb could improve Channeling within 12". It is perhaps easier to justify from a fluff standpoint (the bsb being a sort of magical focus for the army, pulling on the winds of dark magic).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.